Okay, I know Sebel doesn't monitor this board, and isn't really taking suggestions, but...

Elites. We all love talking about them. We all agree that they have a major advantage. Not everyone agrees whether they should, or what that advantage should be. But what about squatters? They take elite teams, and are there for twenty, thirty, fifty, seventy seasons! Should this be limited? You get fifteen years, twenty years, whatever, at an elite, and then you have to step down for five or ten years.

And then you have a coach who goes from one elite, to another elite. He doesn't like LSU, so when Penn State opens, he goes from LSU to Penn State. And of course his time at LSU has given him a great record, and he has an advantage in taking the Penn State job. So, very good coaches chances are extremely limited to take over an elite team.

Should this be tweaked?
11/15/2019 4:41 PM (edited)
I think most people are in agreement that the current elite system needs to be modified or eliminated. Personally, I think the 'elite' advantage should just be eliminated. Either that, or make it fluid. Have 10 elite teams, but those ten teams (or coaches) are the ones that have the highest average WIS ranking over the past (?) seasons.
11/15/2019 4:57 PM (edited)
I say get rid of elite status all together. I have had chances to take over elite programs but choose not to. And most of my losses during a season will come at the hands of an elite. I can out recruit a lot of them by not going head to head against them because I will invariably lose out on the recruit. Not sure how much they spend but I have spent up to 40,000 for some and still lose so I quit going H2H against them. I am hoping one day to win an NC with my non elites but not sure that will ever happen, I believe it is built into the game play as well.

At the very least maybe they could put term limits on coaches also. It would be nice to see if they could have the same results by taking over a rebuild. But I know they fear that many of the elite coaches would leave. They would no longer be able put it on autopilot for the season (not sure they really do that). Maybe some incentive like free seasons for coaches to exchange their elite for a rebuild. Give em a 10 pack that would give them a chance to rebuild and see how talented they are.
11/15/2019 5:57 PM
Elite doesn't affect game play anymore since WIS eliminated the Notre Dame buff, and yes, it is possible to win a NC with a non-elite. If you're really good, you can win one with a non-BCS team, and if anyone manages to win a NC at Hawaii, I'm retiring.
11/15/2019 6:50 PM
Posted by scrodz on 11/15/2019 6:50:00 PM (view original):
Elite doesn't affect game play anymore since WIS eliminated the Notre Dame buff, and yes, it is possible to win a NC with a non-elite. If you're really good, you can win one with a non-BCS team, and if anyone manages to win a NC at Hawaii, I'm retiring.
I took PITT twice to the NC in Wilk. Season 69 against PENN I go my *** handed to me. In season 109 I played TEXAS and won by a couple of TDs. So it is possible to win against a Elite.
11/15/2019 7:02 PM
Clearly elites have a large advantage in recruiting. And clearly most coaches deal with that advantage by avoiding recruiting head to head against elites. Which magnifies the original advantage. Let's face it, there are teams that pretty much get about any recruit they want, unchallenged.

And although the focus of this post was intended to be whether coaches could squat forever on an elite school, depriving others the chance to coach a team with those advantages, I would agree that changing the system to be more fluid in who is elite would be preferable to me.
11/15/2019 7:15 PM
Posted by Indpnt1 on 11/15/2019 7:15:00 PM (view original):
Clearly elites have a large advantage in recruiting. And clearly most coaches deal with that advantage by avoiding recruiting head to head against elites. Which magnifies the original advantage. Let's face it, there are teams that pretty much get about any recruit they want, unchallenged.

And although the focus of this post was intended to be whether coaches could squat forever on an elite school, depriving others the chance to coach a team with those advantages, I would agree that changing the system to be more fluid in who is elite would be preferable to me.
Elites should have an advantage in recruiting. So, what is the point or your argument? USC or Arizona, hmmm? That is easy to decide.

I personally believe that coaches at elite D1 schools should be required to perform or be ousted. For example you shouldn't be able to coach an elite D1 school if you haven't won a conference championship in 10 seasons, etc.
11/15/2019 10:20 PM
My original thing was not so much eliminating advantage, but limiting the time someone can squat on an elite team. There are coaches who have been coaching elite teams for fifty, sixty and seventy seasons.

Like I and others have said, perhaps elite teams can be determined by sustained success, and not be fixed in the schools it presently resides. So, if an elite team is mismanaged for a period of time, it loses it's elite status. There was a time when Army and Navy were elite teams, and obviously they lost their elite status, so why wouldn't that also happen in the game?

That notwithstanding, I think most agree that changes are in order from the present setup.
11/15/2019 10:44 PM
Posted by Indpnt1 on 11/15/2019 10:44:00 PM (view original):
My original thing was not so much eliminating advantage, but limiting the time someone can squat on an elite team. There are coaches who have been coaching elite teams for fifty, sixty and seventy seasons.

Like I and others have said, perhaps elite teams can be determined by sustained success, and not be fixed in the schools it presently resides. So, if an elite team is mismanaged for a period of time, it loses it's elite status. There was a time when Army and Navy were elite teams, and obviously they lost their elite status, so why wouldn't that also happen in the game?

That notwithstanding, I think most agree that changes are in order from the present setup.
100% Agree
11/16/2019 7:05 AM

I think most people are in agreement that the current elite system needs to be modified or eliminated.

+1

Probably my biggest issue in the game right now.

nitros (James)

11/16/2019 9:09 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
death to all coaches
11/16/2019 10:37 AM
Posted by blitziscomin on 11/16/2019 10:14:00 AM (view original):
I don't think squatting at an elite is an issue.

There is an elite job to apply to in Wilkinson almost every season. If you can make a few Level 4 bowls in Wilkinson you are going to be able to get a job at an elite program if you want it.

This season FSU opened up. Last year Penn St did. Ohio State was open three seasons ago. Miami was open just 4-5 seasons ago. Michigan and Nebraska have both changed coaches in the past ten seasons. Both Notre Dame and Tennessee were available 12-15 seasons ago.

That is a steady stream of elites opening up over the past 15 seasons in the most populated world. If you built a program to be in the top 25 rankings for a couple seasons you could have had a job at an elite in Wilkinson.

What coach is currently in Wilkinson that is deserving of a job at an elite program that has applied and hasn't been able to get hired?

My current gripe with elites is there are several coaches that will take an elite program and then be unwilling to schedule other elites in non conference play. If you take an elite gig you should be willing to schedule several other elite programs every season.

If your goal is to get an elite gig.... are you prepared to play the top programs every season? If you are never going to accept a game challenge from a top program don't take the job in the first place.
in a dying world in a dying sport in a dying sim

what i'd like to know is how it was back in the alleged possibly apocryphal heyday

when GD was a growth stock

did guys who got there first stick

11/16/2019 10:43 AM
Posted by nitros on 11/16/2019 9:09:00 AM (view original):

I think most people are in agreement that the current elite system needs to be modified or eliminated.

+1

Probably my biggest issue in the game right now.

nitros (James)

It’s been a long time since I coached at D1, but I will never return until this is addressed. I agree with James.

11/16/2019 2:53 PM
Posted by Indpnt1 on 11/15/2019 10:44:00 PM (view original):

+1
11/16/2019 9:20 PM
1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.