HAPPY THANKSGIVING Topic

11/27/2019 6:47 PM
You too, Doug.

For those of you that grew up with a different bible, KJV reads: " In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

Why change the preposition? "For" is Old English, from Old German. "Concerning" is Middle English, from French or Latin (almost certainly introduced by the Norman conquest.) Both are synonymous with "about."

I guess the NKJV people simply prefer Germans.
11/27/2019 7:46 PM
Thank you Sir. I find the translational changes from Jewish to Greek and Latin, most interesting. And of course the Germanic and Celtic interaction.

Beyond that, I do wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks again. Peace.
11/27/2019 9:00 PM
lol, I find the translations interesting as well. You have a good day tomorrow.

...and thank you President Lincoln. That 1863 Proclamation is quite the piece of prose.
11/27/2019 9:12 PM
Lots to be thankful for . . . Best to y'all . . . .

Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Psalm 100:4 Enter His gates with thanksgiving, And His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him; bless His name.

11/27/2019 10:34 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 11/27/2019 7:46:00 PM (view original):
You too, Doug.

For those of you that grew up with a different bible, KJV reads: " In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

Why change the preposition? "For" is Old English, from Old German. "Concerning" is Middle English, from French or Latin (almost certainly introduced by the Norman conquest.) Both are synonymous with "about."

I guess the NKJV people simply prefer Germans.
god prefers germans
11/27/2019 11:21 PM
11/28/2019 1:25 AM
11/28/2019 10:47 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by Tucker T's on 11/29/2019 12:19:00 AM (view original):

Luke 16:24

"And he cried out and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.'

WoW . . . you're gonna still have a body, just not the one your're wearing today. Oh . . . you're gonna be thirsty too. Agony for sure.
Forever and Forever . . . . that's a long time bag-man . . . . no mulligans . . .no do-over . . . no "but I was waiting for . . . . "
When your music (mockery) is over . . . . Turn out the Lights...

you are such a schmuck.
11/29/2019 1:04 AM
Not sure what IS a schmuck. However, such hard-core proselytizing and judgments regarding people spending their afterlives in hell are really quite out of place in such a public forum on a sports gaming site. NO ONE, not even Crazy Tom, has any REAL handle on what awaits ANY of us in any such after life.
Nor does Tom have a direct line to the Maker allowing HIM (Tom) to make judgments on WHO is really walking in beauty (with the Maker) and who are really just confused sinners following some pied piper of false doctrine, like greed (or American exceptionalism---which does NOT exist!).

The exuberant proselytizers are usually enthusiastic believers in some false idol or fake leader. History is replete with examples.
Joseph Smith supposedly had a direct line to the Maker, too. It didn't save him from the truth. He dead now!
And I, for one human, can not speculate on his afterlife. That's a matter WAY above my pay grade.
BUT, I CAN learn from History, but I have to spend the time, do the reading (research) and THINKING to grasp an understanding of what is really REAL!

My heaven may be your hell. And your idea of "everlasting peace" may be the most horrid concept of afterlife I could imagine.

"But if you ain't here after
What I'm here after
You're gonna be here after
I'm gone.

God made a woman
So a woman could make a man
Come to the conclusion
You'd better make it when you can, Man.

But don't waste your money
Don't waste your time
Don't waste your love, Sugar
And don't waste mine.

Oh, they say that time is money
Same way they say that life's a joke
We could stop the clock this time, honey
Baby, we could go for broke.

So, let's take up the slack
Put it all on the line
While you're making up your face
Baby, make up your mind.

Cuz if you ain't here after
What I'm here after
You're gonna be here after
I'm gone."

Lyric courtesy of Danny O'Keefe

NOT the complete song!
11/29/2019 8:47 AM
REALLY! WOW! YOU'LL REALLY BE SAD NEXT MONTH!

THAT'S WHEN WE SWITCH FROM HAPPY TO MERRY!
11/29/2019 6:20 PM
11/29/2019 9:34 PM
11/29/2019 9:34 PM

George Washington’s Thanksgiving Proclamation

“Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor, and Whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me ‘to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanks-giving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.’”

“Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th. day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be. That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks, for his kind care and protection of the People of this country previous to their becoming a Nation, for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his providence, which we experienced in the … tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed, for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted,” referring here to the Constitution, “for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

“And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions, to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually, to render our national government a blessing to all the People, by constantly being a government of wise, just and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed, to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations … and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord. To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and Us, and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best. Given under my hand at the City of New York on the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.”
George Washington.

11/29/2019 10:44 PM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.