Commentary for DH $52M Draft League LXVII Topic

Posted by vancem on 12/17/2019 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Yes, LTB lots of good players left on the board . It's awesome that we are under the new draft rules since dh555 took over. Under the old kfunk draft rules the league was alot tougher IMO.
What was different?
12/17/2019 5:12 PM
I’ll do evals on Thursday.

I made it to the finals of the stand-up comedy tourney that I’m in and the last round is tomorrow. Gonna be cramming like crazy for a 15 minute set.
12/17/2019 6:18 PM
Ok from what I recall 1) You must start one of the seven players that you drafted 2) No players that weren't drafted can be added to your team that were over either $4 million in salary or more than 2300 minutes. It's more fun now IMO that an owner can draft a player and then be able to use him as a back up when an awesome player goes undrafted can be used as a starter. It also makes the rosters much less predictable after the draft is over.
12/17/2019 6:20 PM
no start on undrafted player period
no undrafted player over yeah 4m?
12/17/2019 7:25 PM
Posted by dBKC on 12/17/2019 6:18:00 PM (view original):

I made it to the finals of the stand-up comedy tourney that I’m in and the last round is tomorrow. Gonna be cramming like crazy for a 15 minute set.
Good luck dB. I know from watching you battle that you have what it takes comedically. I could and would never dream of doing such a thing.
12/17/2019 7:42 PM
That 4 mil thing is a former rule right????
12/17/2019 9:07 PM
Posted by mptrey on 12/17/2019 7:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dBKC on 12/17/2019 6:18:00 PM (view original):

Good luck dB. I know from watching you battle that you have what it takes comedically. I could and would never dream of doing such a thing.
Thanks man! It’s such a blast. The adrenaline rush was insane every time. Hopefully I can win some money tomorrow with a top-2 finish. Only 5 of us left in the final round.
12/17/2019 10:35 PM
Yes those are all old rules.
12/17/2019 11:43 PM
Evals in order of draft order. Part one (1-8)

Pennsylvania:
Wilt, Brent Barry, Bobby Jones, Nate Archibald, Cedric Maxwell, Steve Novak, Jordan Bell

Nice old school team. Hard to say exactly how they’ll look without knowing which Wilt he’s going with and without knowing who is playing what position (Bobby Jones at SF? I’d assume so but I don’t see who else would be playing PF). Even though this team will have enough 3s, they kind of seem tacked on like with Novak instead of coming naturally. It really comes down to a two man game of Wilt and Nate plus good role players, which is a decent strategy. I don’t think this is a contender though.

Redbooda:
Steph Curry, Hakeem, Mo Cheeks, Jimmy Butler, Al Horford, John Collins, Freeman Williams

I really like Steph and Hakeem together. I like Butler to cut down on fouls and TOs. Horford is a good SF for a Curry team...I don’t really like the Cheeks pick personally. Interested to see how the starting lineup looks. There might be too many holes on D depending on who you go with, and also they might be light on boards depending on who is playing where. I don’t think this is a contender either but I could be wrong.

Jcred: LeBron, Julius Erving, Clint Capela, Millsap, Chris Andersen, Roy Tarpley, Oliver Miller

I actually really like the Dr J pick for this league. With the cap being so high, talent trumps all in my opinion. Capela is a proven winner in this league. The next four picks are all meh, but the foundation is there. This team should have good D, boards and should also be a playoff team.

Ysw128: Shaq, Deron Williams, Bill Russell, Wesley Person, Mark Price, Cole Aldrich, Greg Oden

The first two picks are great. The next 5 are kind of head scratchers. I think you could’ve gotten Person in the 6th and then have added another stud to the starting 5. I don’t think this team makes the playoffs even though it has a pretty good 1-2 punch with D Will and Shaq

Longtallbrad: Dwight, Nash, Mookie, Gerald Wallace, Emeka Okafor, Patrick Ewing, Pau Gasol

Those last two picks are great! This is will a really well-balanced, talented starting 5 with a good bench too. I’m guessing Nash/Mookie/GWall/Dwight/Ewing is the starting 5, which will be hard to beat. Looks like a strong playoff team to me.

Mikee1: Kareem, Chris Paul, Bradley Beal, Anthony Mason, Tyreke Evans, Charles Oakley, Dale Davis

So KAJ at C, CP3 & Beal as the backcourt, and a rotation of utility role player forwards? Sounds like a winning formula. I’m wondering if better role player forwards could’ve been selected but aside from that, I like this team. I’m going to predict the playoffs for this squad.

RonSouth: Michael Jordan, Chauncey Billups, Elton Brand, Pascal Siakim, Wes Unseld, Cedric Ceballos, Kermit Washington

I would rather run Jordan’s high assist season at PG vs running him at SG. Billups is a great player but I would’ve gone a different direction. Brand is nice and so is Pascal. I wouldn’t be shocked if this team made the playoffs but I’m going to predict against it for now. Might be a little light on 3s and boards.

Gerryred: Karl Malone, Drummond, Donyell, Derek Harper, Jrue, Marvin Williams, Jason Terry

All 7 picks are great. Harper/Jrue/Donyell/Karl/Drummond is a nice starting 5 for sure. I don’t really have any criticisms - this is a team that was able to draft well at every stat while also being conscious of TOs. Lots of clean players. Playoff team IMO.

part 2&3 coming soon
12/19/2019 3:05 PM
Magic/Ward
Ward/ Allen
Bird /Dantley
Noah/Gadzuric
Daniels/Landsberger
12/19/2019 7:54 PM
Evals in order of draft position part 2 (9-16)

Tarheel1991: Kevin Durant, Paul George, Dikembe, Favors, Calderon, Mullin, Varejao

I wasn’t a huge fan of the Paul George pick - I thought assets would be of better use to try to shore up rebounding..but, getting Dikembe, Favors and Varejao in the later rounds was nice and kind of offset that. Calderon is definitely a good PG when it comes to offense but I would only draft him if I had a SG who could swap with him on PGs, and PG (ironically) can’t do that. I like it. I don’t love it. Possible playoffs.

Hoopsdude: Shawn Marion, Bob McAdoo, Kyle Lowry, Chris Webber, Arvydas Sabonis, Brandon Knight, Patty Mills

Man I don’t know. Getting the extra draft capital after trading out of the first was nice but I feel like you could’ve got all of these guys by standing pat plus had a first rounder. I don’t see it. Sorry.

SamYork: Harden, Camby, Grant, Lanier, Alvin Robertson, George Hill, Carry Scurry.

Loved the first three picks but I don’t like the follow through. The overall strategy of Harden plus low usage role players is good. Lanier is a decent offensive co-star to Harden who can rebound too, but I feel like you could’ve gotten Robertson in FA and added another solid piece in the draft instead. I wouldn’t be surprised if this team made the playoffs but I am picking against it for now.

BDS9992: Rodman, Vucevic, Klay, Marques, Rondo, Kyle OQuinn, Nerlens Noel

okay I actually really like this team. Rondo is a beast if you can give him shooting, and Klay definitely gives him that. My only question is: is Rodman playing SF? If so, is Marques coming off the bench? I don’t really understand what the 3/4/5 is going to look like but overall this is a good team. Possible contender.

VanceM: Giannis, Penny, Tyson, Drexler, Parish, AC Green, Beaubois

Giannis should have not gone this far. This is a steal. Penny is a great compliment to Giannis. Tyson fills out the much needed rebounding plus adds some efficiency. The rest of the pieces are all good (esp if the right seasons are picked). Might be a lil light on assists since Penny isn’t a true PG, but I don’t think that’s a huge concern in this league. Possible contender.

DH555: DRob, Pippen, Kemp, Terrell Brandon, Outlaw, Tinsley, Bogut

This is a solid team that will be competitive every game and make the playoffs but probably won’t go very far within the playoffs. High floor, low ceiling. You have a lot of what you need at most stats but this team isn’t super clean on the TOs and fouls. I think this is a playoff team but not a contender.

uptowngbv: Moses, Wade, Oladipo, AK47, Larry Sanders, McMillan, Edge

Wade and Oladipo seem kind of redundant, I like both guys but not together. I don’t see where the 3s are coming from. I could be wrong because there’s a lot of raw talent...but I don’t like the fit. I’d say this team probably doesn’t make the playoffs.

Robusk: AD, Walton, Ginobili, Embiid, Jerry West, Jon Barry, Delon Wright.

I love the first three picks. Davis/Walton is a ridiculous frontcourt and obviously Manu is great in his limited minutes. Embiid is nice: he helped me win the championship last year and is definitely an asset in a high salary cap league like this one. I think round 4 might’ve been a little high though. West is solid. Jon Barry and Delon Wright are good but not great rotational players. I would be surprised if this team doesn’t make the playoffs. Not sure about how far they can make it though.

part 3 coming soon
12/19/2019 9:25 PM
Damn, I didn't remember you had Embiid on last year's team. He is an overqualified backup for Davis even if I hate his efficiency. Same for West behind Manu.

After them I just needed low usage defense and threes. Outside of Barry, I don't think anyone below 70 D will be in my rotation.

That being said, I was traveling for the entire draft and made subpar decisions. It is probably the worst team I have put together between all my seasons of ODL and DH52 combined. If I can cobble together a division 'ship, that will be good enough for me with this squad.
12/19/2019 11:33 PM
You are probably right about the A Robertson pick, but I really waned to use him and didn't want risk not getting him because someone else out there might be as crazy as me
12/20/2019 8:18 AM
Evals by draft order part three (17-24)

mptrey: Barkley, Kidd, Irving, Bowerwinkle, McGee, Valanciunas, Przybilla

I love Barkley I’m this league, and I love to stack great low minute C seasons in this league (McGee/Jonas/Przybilla will combine to give you the same value as a 2nd round C). I don’t like Kidd and Irving together even though I like them individually. I don’t like Bowerwinkle that much with Barkley. I think this is a playoff team but not a contender.

Benhoidal: Gobert, Draymond, Mourning, Bledsoe, Korver, Simmons, Moreland

Contender. The picks all the way down to round 6 were killer (Simmons is a steal!). Basically he’s begging us to defend -1/-2 on a team that has Korver...this team is going to be a tough out.

Copernicus: DAJ, KAT, Nance, Conley, Beverley, Boozer, Oscar

The frontline is incredible. Oscar is a great 6th round pick in a high-cap league. Conley plus elite bigs is nice. I like every pick except for the Beverley pick but that’s not a huge deal. I think this is a lock for the playoffs and even maybe a contender.

Thomcat: Larry Bird, Magic, Noah, Mel Daniels, Ray Allen, Charlie Ward, Dan Gadzuric

I like the Bird/Magic duo. I think Noah hurts quite a bit. For all he does well, he’s a really inefficient scorer. Daniels probably could’ve been had in the 5th. Ray Allen is a good pick. I like it but I don’t think this team can hang with the elite teams in this league since eFG will be low and TOs might be high.

Me: Stockton, Whiteside, Amare, Montrezl, Otto Porter, Lin, Bynum

I like my team a lot but I don’t love it. My team eFG (all 12, including FAs) is 60.1% plus I have Stockton pumping the assists in...but I also left a little money on the table. I’m making the playoffs. I doubt I am repeating as champ though.

Midge: KG, Kawhi, Jokic, Domantas, Kevin Johnson, Covington, Hinrich

This is a solid team! Kawhi is a nice 2nd rounder and Jokic is a good 3rd rounder. Domantas was a reach at the top of the fourth but I like the rest of the picks. Getting a ton of assists from your SF (KG) and PF/C (Jokic) is nice! I think this might be a playoff team.

Amerk: McHale, Gilmore, Payton, Buck, Faried, Hield, Gary Harris

I’m probably going to end up being wrong because Amerk is a solid owner and he probably has something up his sleeve but for now: I don’t see it. This team seems really dated. I think Payton was a reach at the top of the 3rd and there aren’t any draft steals in the later rounds. Okay but not great team.

Sappy: Ben Wallace, Duncan, Terry Porter, Ibaka, Rollins, Danny Green, Jameer Nelson

I like a lot about this team. The D will be great and the rebounding will be good. However, the passing will be bad and I don’t think the scoring will be super efficient. I think while I like the team for the most part, I would’ve went with a different PG instead of Porter, and I would’ve gone a different direction with the Rollins pick. Decent team that might make the playoffs.

I’ll send in my division draft later today. Good luck everyone
12/20/2019 2:05 PM
thanks dBKC! to be honest I spent most of the draft at an 18 hour a day work event in Las Vegas so had no idea what the F I was doing! if I have any success at all it will be a Christmas miracle - fwiw vis Beverley I felt like I could use a 3 and D perimeter guy
12/20/2019 2:35 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Commentary for DH $52M Draft League LXVII Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.