Watching Field of Dreams Topic

So, I'm watching Field of Dreams right now, for the first time in many years. I am finding it strangely moving. Have I gotten old (I'll be 60 this year), sentimental, nostalgic?

Or was it always this moving and I have forgotten or just never noticed before? Or is it hokey and I am just tired?

Anyway, I am enjoying it more than I remembered.

One thing: the second team that joins the Black Sox and Moonlight Graham on the Field should be Black players that couldn't play in the majors. That would have made it perfect, especially with James Earl Jones playing Terence Mann, but all the players being white.

Otherwise, wonderful movie.
1/17/2020 6:12 PM
a perfect movie for me too.....
the lack of satchell paige and josh gibson etc very valid....my only picayune comment is that the field was too small...
i think 240 left and right field and 300 center field....if that...
1/17/2020 6:44 PM
I've watched it many times and the scene with Costner's character playing catch with his dad always gets to me.
1/18/2020 3:59 AM
There is a decent podcast called The Rewatchables...run by Bill Simmons...that looks at some of the classic movies from recent memory. Reasonably funny and occasionally insightful. They cover Field of Dreams in one of the episodes and the complete miss in not having black players is one of the things they call out.
1/18/2020 6:17 AM
1/18/2020 7:00 AM
On August 13 this season the Yankees and White Sox are playing an actual game on that field.
1/18/2020 9:29 AM
the game will be in a newly constructed stadium near the movie set.....8,000 tickets to be sold.
the actual dimensions of the movie field is actually : 280 LF.....300 CF..... 280 RF.
correction of other post.
1/18/2020 4:57 PM
Thanks everyone ! Thanks contrarian23 - is that podcast on Youtube? Do I just google it?

Yeah mensu1954, I agree, there are two or three scenes, obviously the speech about baseball by James Earl Jones, and the scene where Moonlight steps off the field among them. Those aren't tears, I just have something in my eye...

Thanks dino27, good point about the field, and thank you marcstuart, I didn't know that they used that field. Wow.

bronxcheer, I will have to try that. I AM KEVIN COSTNER, I AM KEVIN COSTNER - hey, wait a minute, if I am doing this I might as well go all the way and be Brad Pitt for pete's sakes !
1/18/2020 5:35 PM
they are not using that field.
1/18/2020 5:54 PM
No, they've constructed a temporary field adjacent to the original field. 8/13 on Fox

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/baseball/2019/08/08/mlb-chicago-white-sox-new-york-yankees-play-field-dreams-movie-site-dyersville-iowa-2020/1953268001/
1/19/2020 11:56 AM
https://youtu.be/9FCkWbrX_1E
1/19/2020 12:03 PM
I also confess to an abiding love for the film, even though it does somewhat unapologetically pull at the heart strings. I can even forgive them for making Joe Jackson a right-handed batter and removing J.D. Salinger from the book's narrative ... after all, they replaced him with James Earl Jones, and it's hard to imagine the movie working without him.
1/19/2020 12:31 PM
If “I’m Archie Graham” doesn’t give you chills, you’re dead inside
1/19/2020 2:28 PM
I visited it 25 years ago...1994 I think. At the time you could just park, get out of your car, and walk onto the field...I think there was a donation box or something. A couple of us played catch for probably 20 minutes; I don't remember if we saw another person the whole time.

No idea what it's like today, but it was pretty remarkable at the time.
1/19/2020 3:17 PM
Yeah it's remarkable, especially when those guys walk out of the corn...What, you didn't see them???
1/19/2020 3:36 PM
1234 Next ▸
Watching Field of Dreams Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.