PLEASE CONSIDER TRYING DRAFT Topic

My FIRST EVER attempt at starting a draft league.

Whatifsports is losing me...an amazing database, but the interface has not improved since I joined in 2001. I just came back to give it one more try--I've never tried a draft. Meanwhile, NOBODY I am inviting seems to understand how a draft even works, nor do I. I've made a pretty good recipe for a cool season below...I hope some of you will jump in. I have just about had it with paying $12.95, then trying to explain how the game even works to others. First season should be free for newbies. Should be a lot of fun competition and chatter if we can get this thing off the ground. Please consider joining me:

MLB 62316
Live draft style from 1920-present. DH in both leagues. 16 teams, four make playoffs. No WIS ringers--more than 15 Championships need not apply. Unique players--no clones. Unique stadiums--pick yours in reverse of draft order. 6+6 AAA players have real names and are way above average. $255 payroll (the max) plus you get $5M boost after 50th game.

Thank you for reading!
1/19/2020 6:33 PM (edited)
Classified ads is where this gets the most attention...
1/19/2020 6:40 PM
Hey, not trying to rain on your parade, but you've designed a theme that's going to exclude a lot of people.

First, prohibiting owners with more than 15 championships knocks out a LOT of people, including ones that you absolutely want in your league if you want to build momentum and make it look appealing to others. Big mistake, right off the bat.

Then a lot of your design rules are ones that many owners find unappealing. 255M cap? Only a handful of owners like to play those. And you are throwing in WAA AAA? Why? What purpose does that serve at 255M? And a cash infusion to boot? You are really gilding the lily. Cut this thing down to 100M or 120M with average AAA and you will find that it appeals to a lot more owners.

And the DH. Look I love the DH and I much prefer AL in real life MLB to NL. But I'm an outlier. Right there you've lost a bunch of owners, some of whom just won't play a DH league.

And last but not least, drafts are a LOT of work, and speaking only for myself, I rarely have time for them. I can't imagine every joining a theme league that required a 25 round draft.

1/19/2020 6:50 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
DoctorKz, thanks. I did post there. Still seems pretty impossible to fill this damn league.
1/20/2020 11:36 AM
Most leagues don't fill fast. Give it some time...
1/20/2020 11:41 AM
Posted by bmcelroy8 on 1/20/2020 11:36:00 AM (view original):
Contrarian, the ringers ruin it every time. I don't need WIS developers beating up first-time managers that have been hard enough to bring into the league. That's why they never come back.

I have one Hall of Famer in there already (13 championships,)
None of us are WIS developers.

What you “need” - otherwise you wouldn’t be posting - is people to fill your league.

It’s silly to post here complaining about how long your league is taking to fill and then ignore very constructive guidance as to why your league is unappealing.
1/20/2020 2:09 PM
Agreed. It needs to appeal to the masses.

WIS developers? They are extinct. Tarek sold this years ago. There is one Admin person(Seble). One.

I was 200 games below .500 with my first 3 teams. I had no clue, but I kept trying, read what experienced players were sharing, and I gradually made it to mediocre. You will never get good at this if you avoid top flight competition. Why should it be easy??? If you want easy, you won't enjoy my themes...I suggest you challenge yourself. Tell the others to do the same...

File through those simleague forums. There is a ton of useful information. I still go back and read them.
1/20/2020 2:28 PM (edited)
Some leagues are brutally tough. Very good players enter at their own risk, knowing even they can have their heads handed to them. This game, despite several years of not being properly updated, is challenging. That's the fun of it. When you win, it is an accomplishment. That is what will keep you and your friends coming back...
1/20/2020 2:34 PM
Agree with the sentiments above. Veteran WIS players who have won a lot of championships through a combination of talent, dumb luck and sheer perseverance are the ones most eager to try new things so you're making a mistake in excluding them. They're also the ones who can give you the best advice on how to set this up. And the combination of a $255MM cap and exclusive players is a recipe for disaster. Will your league go season to season from 1920 onward or is it 1920-2019 inclusive? If the latter, the first few picks will be Ruth, Hornsby, Ted Williams, Pedro, Maddux, maybe Bonds and a few others and everyone else can pretty much go home. And, as pointed out earlier, WAA AAA is silly at 255 unless you're running a pick `em to drop `em to waivers league in which you're effectively increasing your cap to be more competitive in the TOC, which I don't think you are.

Sorry, my 0.02...
1/20/2020 5:52 PM
All of the Hall of Famers make excellent points...taking their advice will not steer you wrong. I agree with them, especially about cap, WAA/AAA, and excluding owners over a certain # of championships. Also, you might reconsider the live draft on your first attempt. Everyone here wants your league to succeed and are just offering some ideas that will help.

Paying attention to successful owners, whether it be on league (or team) building is a great way to improve your enjoyment at WIS. I agree with most that sometimes the results don't make sense, but the game has come a long way since I joined. If we could just get Sportshub to listen and put more people working on this site (at least until an appropriate update is done), we wouldn't be losing people.

Good luck with your league!
1/20/2020 7:47 PM
Pile on warning......starting with C23, all great points. Dr.K more good feedback, Mensu 100% spot on.

I dont have many Championships but have played against all the above many times and know they know what they are talking about...in fact when I do manage to beat them .... it is more fun than just slaughtering a newbie so I wouldnt look to them for league sanity. Here are my other suggestions that I dont think were mentioned.
  • Getting less experienced owners is likely to cause you headache as a Commish because they do not understand 98 McGwire will likely not hit 70 hrs.
  • I certainly wouldnt expend the time to draft a 1 season team. Progressive yes, but not for a single season.
  • Why have AAA at all? With $255 you will never need them regardless of level.
  • Stadiums are largely irrelevant at that cap...
Good luck, not trying to shoot it down but as a guy who thinks he also has a great theme idea....I can get about 12 guys but then it stalls..just trying to save you time.
2/2/2020 10:25 AM
Posted by DoctorKz on 1/20/2020 2:28:00 PM (view original):
Agreed. It needs to appeal to the masses.

WIS developers? They are extinct. Tarek sold this years ago. There is one Admin person(Seble). One.

I was 200 games below .500 with my first 3 teams. I had no clue, but I kept trying, read what experienced players were sharing, and I gradually made it to mediocre. You will never get good at this if you avoid top flight competition. Why should it be easy??? If you want easy, you won't enjoy my themes...I suggest you challenge yourself. Tell the others to do the same...

File through those simleague forums. There is a ton of useful information. I still go back and read them.
What he said.
2/2/2020 12:40 PM
Posted by mensu1954 on 1/20/2020 7:47:00 PM (view original):
All of the Hall of Famers make excellent points...taking their advice will not steer you wrong. I agree with them, especially about cap, WAA/AAA, and excluding owners over a certain # of championships. Also, you might reconsider the live draft on your first attempt. Everyone here wants your league to succeed and are just offering some ideas that will help.

Paying attention to successful owners, whether it be on league (or team) building is a great way to improve your enjoyment at WIS. I agree with most that sometimes the results don't make sense, but the game has come a long way since I joined. If we could just get Sportshub to listen and put more people working on this site (at least until an appropriate update is done), we wouldn't be losing people.

Good luck with your league!
And what he said, citing all the other experienced players here.
2/2/2020 12:43 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
12 Next ▸
PLEASE CONSIDER TRYING DRAFT Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.