Recruiting Signing Preference and EE Topic

So let’s say you have 1 open scholarship but you know for a fact you’ll have 1 EE. You see two guys in the early signing period you’d love to go after but both say they are going to sign before the end of period 1. You can get 1 of them signed no problem since you have one opening currently but my question becomes is it a waste of time to go after the other recruit?

Will that recruit hold off to sign late when you have another opening (I’m thinking no school other than you can be at high or very high) or would it make more sense to find a recruit that will sign in the late period when you have another scholarship open up?
1/27/2020 11:50 PM
Theoretically possible, but not very likely, IMO. With one scholarship, you aren’t likely to keep everyone off them both. Once you’ve filled the first, all a D1 team has to do is sneak into signing range at high, and they’ll get the other recruit in the first period. I generally target second session signees (at least one) in this situation.
1/28/2020 12:24 AM
I just noticed that Texas, San Marcos has 7 seniors. I thought the rule was "There is no limit to recruits in one class, BUT there is a limit of 6 players in each eligibility class. In other words, you can't have more than 6 freshmen, sophomores, juniors, or seniors. A redshirted player counts as his eligibility class, so a redshirt freshman (who is truly a sophomore) still counts as a freshmen in the 6 player limit. If you have more than 6 scholarships open, you can target JUCOs or transfers as those players won't be considered freshmen. You could also opt to not fill all of your scholarships and take walkons.
1/29/2020 3:28 PM
Posted by billg41850 on 1/29/2020 3:28:00 PM (view original):
I just noticed that Texas, San Marcos has 7 seniors. I thought the rule was "There is no limit to recruits in one class, BUT there is a limit of 6 players in each eligibility class. In other words, you can't have more than 6 freshmen, sophomores, juniors, or seniors. A redshirted player counts as his eligibility class, so a redshirt freshman (who is truly a sophomore) still counts as a freshmen in the 6 player limit. If you have more than 6 scholarships open, you can target JUCOs or transfers as those players won't be considered freshmen. You could also opt to not fill all of your scholarships and take walkons.
While UTSM in Phelan has 7 guys graduating, one of those guys was a non-qualifier his first season on campus, so was recruited with another class.
1/29/2020 4:27 PM
Posted by alockwood86 on 1/27/2020 11:50:00 PM (view original):
So let’s say you have 1 open scholarship but you know for a fact you’ll have 1 EE. You see two guys in the early signing period you’d love to go after but both say they are going to sign before the end of period 1. You can get 1 of them signed no problem since you have one opening currently but my question becomes is it a waste of time to go after the other recruit?

Will that recruit hold off to sign late when you have another opening (I’m thinking no school other than you can be at high or very high) or would it make more sense to find a recruit that will sign in the late period when you have another scholarship open up?
Well I think it's possible if a few things work in your favor. If you can get one with basically no effort then just dump all your cash on the 2nd guy and cross your fingers.

Its probably better to target late or even a whenever signer to increase your odds. Late signers are tough sometimes though because they are often targeted by people in your EE situation but also by new coaches.

Finally, it depends on how good of a player are we talking? If you're getting a guy with no effort and you're not a high prestige school scaring off people, then is he really D1 worthy?
1/29/2020 6:14 PM
Yeah I tried it and it didn’t work. Had 2 open and 2 EE. Was going after a guard that was an early sign and got to very high without offering a scholarship. I signed my 2 guys and hoped no one would notice I couldn’t sign my other guy. I held on for over 2 days but just lost him to another school so I’m on to going after 2 guys in the late period.
2/1/2020 1:00 AM
Recruiting Signing Preference and EE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.