Trump's Coronavirus Response Topic

Posted by all3 on 5/24/2020 11:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 5/23/2020 11:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by DougOut on 5/23/2020 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 5/22/2020 11:56:00 PM (view original):
not that I am saying Biden is racist or he isn't. I have no idea. he did grow up in a generation where it was more accepted or prevalent then it is now. But do you really think he served as Obama's VP because he thought Obama is a great guy? He might think tat but he served as his VP as a stepping stone to the job he is running for now. He's a politician.
OR Obama needed an old white guy so he didn't look like a racist. That's the way the democrats think.

Idenity politics will kill all of us.
I usually ignore Doug's post, but I have to respond to this. Obama picked a VP based on what he thought he gave him the best chance to win. Same reason Trump picked Pence. Same reason any presidential candidate picks a VP candidate, Race had nothing to do with it.

Sometimes I wonder if you are really as stupid as you sometimes come across, Dougie. I'm leaning towards yes.
You say you don't think race had anything to do with Obama picking Biden, yet you also say Obama (and every other candidate) picked whoever he thought would help him win.
That seems like you're saying picking a white wasn't better for his election chances than picking a minority. You can't possibly believe that, can you? (I'm not saying that's "right", just true.)
I surely do believe that. I think if Obama had picked another minority for his VP, he likely would not have won. I was pretty surprised that he won as it was.
5/24/2020 12:44 PM
Posted by tangplay on 5/24/2020 12:42:00 PM (view original):
In fairness, Biden pledged to pick a woman, and likely a minority. It's difficult to buy the argument that his VP pick will have nothing to do with identity politics.

And it's probably true that Obama picked Biden in part because he appeals to old white guys who might have had a problem with Obama's race.

Sorry, but I don't buy the argument that identity politics didn't enter the equation here.
With Obama picking Biden, I think it was 75% the experience/moderate part, and 25% picking a white person. Also, I mean, what minority was he gonna pick for VP in 2008? There weren’t really a lot of options nationally, which is why I think making it a race issue misses the point - of course his VP was going to be white.

Biden pledging to pick a female of color for VP obviously is playing into identity politics, but he should - the base is diverse and the ticket should reflect that.
5/24/2020 12:50 PM
Posted by bronxcheer on 5/24/2020 2:30:00 AM (view original):
Wylie may beat his wife and kids, he might, I don't know.

That is true, as far as you know, I might beat my wife and kids. However, you have no evidence or posts to make you think that I do.On the other hand, from posts you have made here, I'm pretty sure you are anti-Semetic. I'm also pretty sure there are others here who think that too.
5/24/2020 12:54 PM
the lady from georgia will do it for me

as in, i will call the race for biden
5/24/2020 12:55 PM
the lady from Georgia will beat your wife and kids for you??? :)
5/24/2020 12:57 PM
Posted by Uofa2 on 5/24/2020 12:50:00 PM (view original):
In fairness, Biden pledged to pick a woman, and likely a minority. It's difficult to buy the argument that his VP pick will have nothing to do with identity politics.

And it's probably true that Obama picked Biden in part because he appeals to old white guys who might have had a problem with Obama's race.

Sorry, but I don't buy the argument that identity politics didn't enter the equation here.
With Obama picking Biden, I think it was 75% the experience/moderate part, and 25% picking a white person. Also, I mean, what minority was he gonna pick for VP in 2008? There weren’t really a lot of options nationally, which is why I think making it a race issue misses the point - of course his VP was going to be white.

Biden pledging to pick a female of color for VP obviously is playing into identity politics, but he should - the base is diverse and the ticket should reflect that.
I agree. I never made the judgement that identity politics is bad or wrong in every instance, just that it exists and has existed for a long time on both sides of the aisle.
5/24/2020 1:08 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 5/24/2020 12:57:00 PM (view original):

She hasn’t had the best couple of weeks.

I’d put money on Kamala.
5/24/2020 1:24 PM
Posted by tangplay on 5/24/2020 1:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Uofa2 on 5/24/2020 12:50:00 PM (view original):

I agree. I never made the judgement that identity politics is bad or wrong in every instance, just that it exists and has existed for a long time on both sides of the aisle.
Ah, gotcha. Agreed with your point too.

Honestly, I’ve never really understood the term identity politics. Always seemed redundant to me. Of course identities factor into politics.
5/24/2020 1:26 PM
It triggers the **** out of me when Republicans blame Democrats for the "rise in identity politics", as if the southern strategy never existed. The modern Republican party was built from identity politics, Trump uses them all the time. It's the same whether the politician is appealing to colored people or white people.
5/24/2020 2:04 PM

Donald Trump shared a string of despicable tweets from a failed congressional candidate calling Hillary Clinton a "skank", suggesting that Nancy Pelosi's mouth be taped shut and mocking the physical appearance of former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams.

The president shared eight posts from John K Stahl — who also has called Ms Abrams "Shamu" and the House Speaker "Super Skank" — amid a streak of messages attacking absentee ballots and promoting a discredited conspiracy theory about MSNBC host Joe Scarborough, while the nation's death toll from coronavirus pandemic approaches 100,000.

Mr Trump also has spent a part of the Memorial Day weekend golfing at his Trump National Golf Club in Virginia.

5/24/2020 2:12 PM
Posted by tangplay on 5/24/2020 2:04:00 PM (view original):
It triggers the **** out of me when Republicans blame Democrats for the "rise in identity politics", as if the southern strategy never existed. The modern Republican party was built from identity politics, Trump uses them all the time. It's the same whether the politician is appealing to colored people or white people.
#nailedit

People mad about identity politics are just mad about the identities.
5/24/2020 2:13 PM

HO HO HO! 15 LIBS IN ROW!
5/24/2020 3:12 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 5/24/2020 12:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 5/24/2020 11:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 5/23/2020 11:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by DougOut on 5/23/2020 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 5/22/2020 11:56:00 PM (view original):
not that I am saying Biden is racist or he isn't. I have no idea. he did grow up in a generation where it was more accepted or prevalent then it is now. But do you really think he served as Obama's VP because he thought Obama is a great guy? He might think tat but he served as his VP as a stepping stone to the job he is running for now. He's a politician.
OR Obama needed an old white guy so he didn't look like a racist. That's the way the democrats think.

Idenity politics will kill all of us.
I usually ignore Doug's post, but I have to respond to this. Obama picked a VP based on what he thought he gave him the best chance to win. Same reason Trump picked Pence. Same reason any presidential candidate picks a VP candidate, Race had nothing to do with it.

Sometimes I wonder if you are really as stupid as you sometimes come across, Dougie. I'm leaning towards yes.
You say you don't think race had anything to do with Obama picking Biden, yet you also say Obama (and every other candidate) picked whoever he thought would help him win.
That seems like you're saying picking a white wasn't better for his election chances than picking a minority. You can't possibly believe that, can you? (I'm not saying that's "right", just true.)
I surely do believe that. I think if Obama had picked another minority for his VP, he likely would not have won. I was pretty surprised that he won as it was.
Wait, you say you believe a white wasn't better for his election chances, but then say if he had picked another minority he likely would have not won.
Which is it? You trying to be a Politician and agree with both sides?
5/25/2020 9:45 AM
Posted by wylie715 on 5/24/2020 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bronxcheer on 5/24/2020 2:30:00 AM (view original):
Wylie may beat his wife and kids, he might, I don't know.

That is true, as far as you know, I might beat my wife and kids. However, you have no evidence or posts to make you think that I do.On the other hand, from posts you have made here, I'm pretty sure you are anti-Semetic. I'm also pretty sure there are others here who think that too.
Lack of evidence has never stopped bronx from posting anything.
5/25/2020 9:48 AM
Posted by Uofa2 on 5/24/2020 1:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bagchucker on 5/24/2020 12:57:00 PM (view original):

She hasn’t had the best couple of weeks.

I’d put money on Kamala.
I'd take that bet and I'd think you'd lose (just my opinion.)

Minority doesn't only mean black. He'd be equally served by picking a Hispanic female. If he does choose black, California does nothing for his chances. A female from the Great Lakes or South would be better.

I think he chooses s running mate that did not primary against him.
5/25/2020 11:12 AM
◂ Prev 1...79|80|81|82|83...90 Next ▸
Trump's Coronavirus Response Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.