12x12 v4 - Group 1 Draft Topic

The 12x12 and 16x16 are my favorite themes. May have won a World Series in both but generally don’t do well. The reason must boil down to being distracted by those teammates that are the prizes of the draft. Strategy goes out the window in the early rounds when your targets are chosen ahead of your pick. Although this time around it seemed that my luck had changed.

My nominated player was Tito Fuentes 1965. He was cheap and had both Willie Mays and Juan Marichal as teammates. Being cheap he allowed me a very early pick in round 1. That pick was low dollar Wally Moon which gave me access to 1965 Sandy Koufax and his 16 mil salary. Pretty sure that wasn’t going to be a problem.

Round 2 Harry Steinfeldt was going to be my pick just a matter of 1908 or 1909. 1909 brought a very good Mordecai Brown and Orval Overall. So 1909 it was and that meant that I was going to have to eventually choose to drop either Marichal or Overall. At any rate my starting pitchers were set except for a tough choice.

Round 3. I decided to grab the top reliever on the board in 2014 Joe Smith with teammate Huston Street.. My primary strategy now was to accumulate as many good relievers as I could.

Round 4. I took 1915 Frank Smith mainly so I wouldn’t be saddled with a high salary later. It was a choice of who’s salary I was going to have eat, Smith or Alvin Crowder and it looked like because the high number of Crowder seasons his highest salaried season wouldn’t be forced on me. Originally teammate Steve Evans (.308/392) was going to be a DH.

Round 5. Don Mossi was going to have to be taken sooner or later so it wad choice of which teammate I wanted to add. I decided on 1956 Ray Narleski who should be good reliever and ‘56 Mossi is not horrible but not really a reliable performer.

Round 6. 1924 Travis Jackson was available with A+ range and .300 BA with the added attraction bring Frankie Frisch (.328/.387).

Round 7. 1964 Johnny Edwards was next up. Excellent defensive rating and a so so hitter plus would prompt a need to find back up catcher with around 200 PA. Nice left handed reliever Bill Henry is the teammate.

Round 8. Dan Brouthers 1990 was next up and to get such a great hitter (.330/.466) this late is truly a bonus. The teammate was to be Hardy Richardson (.326/.384). That later would change.

Round 9. Had to hold my nose and take 1930 Guy Bush but the prize was Hack Wilson (.356/.464) and 56 homers and who likely will be my DH.

Round 10. 1900 Shad Barry was my pick. Not much of a hitter or fielder but with over 300 AB he will help. But, amazingly, the ultimate Punch and Judy hitter is his teammate. My lead off hitter is now Billy Hamilton (.333/449). More luck. Have to think about choosing between Steve Evans or Hardy Richardson.

Round 11 1929 A Crowder was picked and fortunately teammate Heinie Manush (.355/.401) comes with him meaning that Hardy Richardson or Steve Evans are no longer need so replacing a Evans is Backup catcher King Kelly (.326/.419). .355 hitter falls in your lap on last pick. Lucky.

Eventually decisions were made to trim Orval Overall rather than Marichal strictly for salary cap considerations. So I think even with light hitting Harry Steinfeldt and Johnny Edwards in the lineup we will have a potent offense and with Koufax, Brown and Marichal starting with a bullpen of Joe Smith, Huston Street, Bill Henry, Ray Narleski, and Don Mossi in relief we should be able to contend.. Originally Willie Mays would be my CF but that damn salary cap got in the way. I opted to go with Kiki Cuyler (.355/428) good hitter and about 1.5mil cheaper.

Once again Schwarze has done a wonderful job getting this league going and his drafts are really the best managed drafts I’ve been a part of.
4/12/2020 8:34 PM (edited)
I'll make this brief. I missed the DH thing. That would have altered my strategy from the 2nd round on. I looked at the list of disgusting pitchers (seems to be an advantage to getting in early and selecting a dead weight pitcher for everyone to carry - maybe randomize position assignments once everyone has signed up next time?) and decided I needed a big innings pitcher for my original teammate and a low salary assignment to get an early pick in round 1. Shad Barry fit the bill and also had lots of usable teammates in various years which should have made him a popular choice early on, thereby drawing picks away from other players that I might want.

When I looked at the field, I pretty much completely ignored all the hitters as I was terrified of the pitchers. I didn't even begin looking at teammates of hitters until several rounds in (this would have been much different had I realized there was a DH). Since I had first pick, the 1964 Mossi jumped out at me with his low salary (I didn't at this point consider the fact that it was ok to saddle some big pitcher salaries), and his Joe Horlen teammate.

Next up, a completely wasted pick in Alvin Crowder. Didn't really need to save salary here (20/20) and the teammate I pegged was am unthrilling $4M catcher in Muddy Ruehl. I wound up not rostering Ruehl as of an hour ago - once I realized there was no DH.

My next 2 picks were gonna be Bush and F. Smith I really wanted that top Bush season, thinking I needed to grab usable versions of some players since I only had 13 teammates available to me. But Franks started coming off the board earlier than I had thought. I was originally pegging the big 1909 Frank for round 4 after taking Bush in round 3, but after poking around at teammates, I decided the 1906 Smith, with Doc White and Ed Walsh as teammates, would pretty much complete my pitching staff (screw relievers). Also that 1906 Frank has low innings that are actually usable in spotty relief or mop-up.

My staff at that point was 1908 Christy, 1964 Horlen, 1906 Doc White, and 1906 Ed Walsh which gave me 1150 IP of 0.91 whip and 0.16 HR/9.

At this point I started to look at hitters and and teammates (I know, maybe it would have been a good idea to do this before the draft began). I realized that the hitting field was also dreck, and I was gonna need to roster at least 2 of them as starters. That brought me to my next wasted pick: 1954 Wally Moon. I figured I was going to need to use a couple of these guys as actual hitters, and all the other Moons were liability in the field. (Never considered I could use him at DH). Moon brought me Schoendienst at 2B which I suppose was still a good thing.

Nothing really matters from here on out - those picks at 2 and 4 were duds and never would have been made if I had considered DH.

Next I grabbed the Bush I had coveted - thinking usable players and at least he brought one of my favorite low cap pitchers in Pete Alexander.

A deeper look into teammates of hitters remaining showed me there wasn't much left, and so i decided to focus on fielding. I grabbed the best fielding Brouthers next. (no teammate considered).

My offense was looking dreadful so I grabbed Frank Robinson on the next pick (62 Edwards) and started to realize how much wasted hitter salary I was gonna eat.

Joe Smith got me ridiculous fielding Mike Trout next.

And then just trying to staunch the bleeding with the next 3 picks. (nothing notable here).

So my strategy of avoiding wasting money on pitching came to fruition - only about $5M of wasted salary here. But my hitting sucks and I didn't draft a DH - which meant my last 2 picks of Tito Fuentes or Harry Steinfeldt would be DH.

PS - I did pull my roster and tweak a little bit to grab a King Kelly to use as DH and spot starter at catcher, but that meant letting Johnny edwards actually do the majority of the catching.

Each time I do these drafts I say the same thing: "Next time I'm going to do my research before the draft. Next time I'll actually put in the time."

Some things never change...see you in the basement.
4/13/2020 10:19 AM
Interesting point about potential advantages of signing up early...personally, I think there is a HUGE advantage to signing up late...

You get to see everyone else's selections and make yours based on that fact. If I had been the last one in league one, I would definitely have selected a player that would have given me 400+ high quality innings - either themselves or with teammate(s).
4/13/2020 10:42 AM
Posted by contrarian23 on 4/13/2020 10:42:00 AM (view original):
Interesting point about potential advantages of signing up early...personally, I think there is a HUGE advantage to signing up late...

You get to see everyone else's selections and make yours based on that fact. If I had been the last one in league one, I would definitely have selected a player that would have given me 400+ high quality innings - either themselves or with teammate(s).
but everyone had 2 days to change their picks once everyone signed up...
4/13/2020 11:09 AM
I've asked DoctorKz to randomly align the 12 owners, which will determine division alignment. I will post his results here.
4/13/2020 4:52 PM
DoctorKz
To:
schwarze
Received:
4/13/2020 5:03:00 PM
Subject:
RE: Random Alignment 1st list
There were 12 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

joerat1
danidon
contrarian23
thehuseman
barracuda3
Chisock
mpitt76
pedrocerrano
slainte
mllama54
Landry19
cholatse
IP: 96.35.202.107
Timestamp: 2020-04-13 21:01:50 UTC
4/13/2020 5:05 PM
NL East
joerat1
danidon
contrarian23
thehuseman
NL Central
barracuda3
Chisock
mpitt76
pedrocerrano
NL West
slainte
mllama54
Landry19
cholatse
4/13/2020 5:06 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12
12x12 v4 - Group 1 Draft Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.