Commentary Thread DH $52M Draft League LXVIII Topic

Posted by vancem on 4/18/2020 8:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dh555 on 4/18/2020 5:10:00 PM (view original):
entered my team with only $715 left...19721 mins

4836 total assists to 4781 total rebounds....935 steals!

looks good on paper but i have no idea what to expect...def gonna need a strong ast% bump to contend...155% ast in the starting lineup...is that enough?
My thought is that this is very interesting. I'm curious as to what the ORB% is for the team? If this team had dominance on the offensive glass that in my mind would make it very difficult to beat. Every offensive rebound this squad pulls down is just another great chance for an automatic 2 points with an assist. It looks like there will be a lot of defensive rebounds on most of the missed shots as the team sits right now. But I am very curious as to how it will play out.
yep, there's supposed to be a boost off offensive rebounding but who knows how it works? not scott, that's for sure
4/18/2020 9:50 PM
Posted by pennsylvania on 4/18/2020 9:33:00 PM (view original):
SENSITIVITY ALERT SENSITIVITY ALERT.

QUERRY to the speech Czar - Is it permissible to respond to a post without retribution?

Banning someone from a league (presumably because of posting something the isolated complainers deem offensive, is more a reflection of those who get whipped up reading a post - I mean REALLY - it's a post (borrowing from Allen Iverson)

Instead of taking things with the preverbal grain of salt - SOME seem to have their minds internally implode - self-determining that BANNING something is the better course to finding solace in the emptiness of the cavern sitting above their shoulders. GO FIGURE.

If you feel the need to send me self righteous private message rants entitled “the idiots of the world”, then at least learn how to spell query and proverbial and redacting.

but seriously just chill out dude.
4/18/2020 10:06 PM (edited)
can I jump in here?
4/18/2020 10:09 PM
I don’t know. I think you need to make a “QUERRY to the speech Czar”
4/18/2020 10:21 PM
heh

look here, see. now make with the evaluations quick like see? And nobody gets hurt, see?.

it's a Cagney impression, you can google it
4/18/2020 10:37 PM (edited)
8. Copernicus (Dwight, Kyrie, McAdoo, Siakam, Arvydas, Shuttlesworth, Ryno)

What I like: Dwight plus shooters is a great strategy - time tested in SIM and real life. Arvydas is a good Dwight backup and there are lots of extremely efficient scorers. Kyrie, Ray, Siakam, McAdoo, and Dwight give you 5 above average to elite eFG guys in your starting 5.
What I don’t like: Kyrie and Allen is a weak defensive backcourt - I would recommend having at least one good defender who can switch with the bad defender. Too much usage means shots get taken from Dwight (who has a better chance of making those shots than the guys taking them away). Could’ve used the resources on a couple lower usage guys who were better at D/rebounding/passing. I like McAdoo. I like Siakam. I don’t like them together with a high usage C and two high usage guards. Should’ve made one of them a low usage role player with better complimentary stats. The efficiency will keep you in every game but the holes prevent you from being a contender. Predicting 44 wins.

7. Hoopsdude (Rodman, Camby, Billups, Kobe, Carmelo, Dirk, Varejao)

I’ve actually been wanting to try this strategy of starting with elite low usage guys for a while. It always seems like there’s good usage in the later rounds. I’m not sure if Kobe and Dirk were the best ones available but they’re certainly not bad. In real life, this team would be absolutely amazing. In the sim I think it’s good but not great due to your usage leaders being only okay at efficiency. Would’ve loved to see Oscar get the nod instead of Kobe. I think this is a 38-44 win team. I could be wrong due to your 2 elite rebounders.

6. Thomcat (Shaq, Nash, Brand, Russell, Ward, Covington, Monroe)

I love the Shaq/Nash duo. I like Brand in the 3rd. I love Russell in the 4th. I like the rebounding you get from Brand/Russell/Shaq at 3/4/5. I think this is a strong team that will make the playoffs and could make a run.

5. Tarheel1991 (Kareem, Matrix, Terry Porter, Beal, Jerry Lucas, Beaubois, Boban)

I like all of these players individually but I don’t love them together. The D won’t be great and I don’t know if the offense will be good enough to compensate for it. This is the type of team that could win any game but ultimately won’t do too much. I think playoffs are possible but borderline.

4. Ysw128 (LeBron, Dikembe, Manu, Bogut, Humphries, Parker, Person)

The first 3 picks are chalk. Absolutely great picks. Bogut in the 4th is okay but kind of a reach. Humphries was a waste of a pick IMO. Pretty sure he would’ve been there in “free agency”. Same with Parker and Person. Hard to win in a competitive league when you’re using some of your limited picks on players that no one else would have selected. That said, the “Big 3” is so strong that you won’t be bad. I’d say ~35 wins.

3. Pennsylvania (Jordan, Favors, Mason, Pressey, English, Batum, Ratliff)

I’m honest to god rooting for Penn to take us all by surprise this year.

2. Gerryred (Curry, Tyson, Vucevic, Cheeks, Webber, Wright, JR Smith)

Curry and Tyson is a great combo. Cheeks and Curry together is interesting and it looks like you were able to make up for their lack of rebounding with Webber/Vuc/Tyson at 3/4/5. Classic 2 PG, 3 Bigs strategy - tried and true. Borderline playoffs. Good drafting, I just worry that JR Smith might try to dribble out the clock when you’re losing.

1. Redbooda (Wilt, Hakeem, Vince, Devin Booker, Gallinari, Danny Manning, Phil Ford)

I don’t really understand some of these picks so I’ll just watch to see what you’ve got up your sleeve.
4/18/2020 11:11 PM (edited)
Posted by vancem on 4/18/2020 8:50:00 PM (view original):
What is the thought process for the black out draft dh555? Are you for example going to black out all of the players that have been picked in 4 out of the last 5 $52 Million and ODL drafts? I have spreadsheets that list all of the players that have been picked in the last five $52 Million league drafts.
im going to start with copy/pasting this draft...then delete all the names that dont normally get drafted(like gallinari or english) or only get used for low min seasons(like melo and cousins)...however i will ban some players with great lower min seasons that would still probably get drafted for those seasons(like tinsley or birdman)

then im going to to go back and look at the past few odls and 52s and add any other names i feel belong on the list...after that ill do a search for players with high creb%, high ast%, or high usg+efg% that i may have missed...i want to get rid of all the usual suspects
4/18/2020 11:15 PM
Posted by copernicus on 4/18/2020 9:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by vancem on 4/18/2020 8:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dh555 on 4/18/2020 5:10:00 PM (view original):
entered my team with only $715 left...19721 mins

4836 total assists to 4781 total rebounds....935 steals!

looks good on paper but i have no idea what to expect...def gonna need a strong ast% bump to contend...155% ast in the starting lineup...is that enough?
My thought is that this is very interesting. I'm curious as to what the ORB% is for the team? If this team had dominance on the offensive glass that in my mind would make it very difficult to beat. Every offensive rebound this squad pulls down is just another great chance for an automatic 2 points with an assist. It looks like there will be a lot of defensive rebounds on most of the missed shots as the team sits right now. But I am very curious as to how it will play out.
yep, there's supposed to be a boost off offensive rebounding but who knows how it works? not scott, that's for sure
ughh...sadly not much oreb% to take advantage of that...noah and boerwinkle are the only ones over 5
4/18/2020 11:19 PM
it was a hard decision between penn and booda for the #1 spot in my division draft list...but it looks like i chose right...you never want to go against wilt but i knew booda wouldnt let me down with some of his season choices
4/18/2020 11:23 PM
Posted by dBKC on 4/18/2020 4:07:00 PM (view original):
Evaluations in three parts (8 per post, in reverse draft order, part 2):

Don’t get mad if you don’t like my analysis. I’m usually bad at these anyway.

16. Jhsukow (Gobert, Pippen, Amare, Horace, Payton, Tinsley, Birdman)

This is a solid team. 4 great defenders covering for Amare’s weakness. Good team rebounding. Gobert and Amare are incredibly efficient scorers. 2 good passers in Pippen and Payton. I personally would’ve went Paul George over Amare in round 3 but the Amare/Horace forward combo is definitely a good pairing, Horace covers Amare’s D by being able to switch with him, and makes up for his weak rebounding. I do wonder if Payton hurts you too much with his downsides (low eFG%, high $/min since he’s a high minute player) but overall he has more positives than negatives and you got him late. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this team make the playoffs. Nice drafting.

15. Uptowngbv (Harden, Draymond, Kemp, Larry Sanders, Boozer, Tyreke, Frazier)

If you’re going to draft around Harden, Draymond is a perfect fit. Nice job with that pick. I do wonder if you got too much usage and could’ve focused on lower usage players with better rebounding/passing/D/eFG. Like Harden needs a TON of shots and Frazier and Kemp are both pretty high usage and Draymond is average. If you want to play Harden at SG, why not go with a PG like Charlie Ward or Nate McMillan? Or why not play Harden at PG and get a SG like Danny Green? I don’t know if I like the Frazier/Harden duo, especially with Kemp needing his shots too. Another worry is that Harden is a high TO player and you’d want to counter that by selecting lots of low TO players, but Kemp is a TO machine. I don’t see the playoffs in this team’s future but it’s not impossible.

14. Samuelyork93 (Bird, Penny, Bobby Jones, Blaylock, Pau, Gerald Wallace, Oliver Miller)

I love the Bird and Penny combo. Bobby Jones is interesting because normally people play him at SF but you’ve got Bird there. I guess he’d be good to switch with Bird on D. I’m not sure where your rebounding is coming from. Bobby is a weak rebounder if you’re playing him at PF. Pau is a good player but a weak rebounder. Penny is great at rebounding if you’re playing him at PG but the Mookie pick tells me you’re not. I don’t think there’s enough passing or efficiency to justify playing small ball. Klay instead of Bobby in the 3rd plus then a couple low usage rebounding big men would’ve made you a contender. I’m going to say borderline playoffs but not probable to make it.

13. Benhoidal (KAT, Capela, Montrezl, Bledsoe, Parish, McMillan, Korver)

Ben traded down a lot and picked up several good pieces in the process. I’ve won with Montrezl and Capela before and am high on them in this league. Those two plus KAT gives them tons of eFG and rebounding. Then he goes with a high-D, two-PG approach since he can afford to with his great rebounding. I like it. Good balance of paint scoring and perimeter scoring. Good D. Good efficiency. Good rebounding. Possible contender.

12. Jcred5 (Giannis, Gilmore, Lowry, Porter Jr, Alvin, Calderon, Faried)

Giannis and Gilmore is a fantastic duo. Lowry is a good 3rd banana. Otto gives a great perimeter compliment to Giannis’s inside dominance. I don’t know about the Alvin Robertson pick though...I feel like there were better players on the board, especially because it means you’ll have to play either him or OPJ at SF. Would’ve liked to see Gerald Wallace at that pick instead. Calderon and Faried are nice 6th round picks. I’m going to say possible but not probable playoffs.

11. Amerk1180 (CP3, Mourning, Oladipo, Tree, AK47, Jimmy Buckets, Roundfield)

This is a very good defensive team with decent boards and decent passing. I feel like Mourning was a bit of a reach in the mid-2nd but not a bad pick. I probably would’ve went with Marion there. The Oladipo/Butler duo at SG is great. I won my first title in the league with those two plus Rondo as my backcourt, and Paul is an upgrade over that. I think you might’ve been better off going with one average defender who is better at O, and having the other 4 cover for him on D, but this still looks like a playoff team to me.

10. Gerryred (Mailman, Walton, Donyell, Derek Harper, Mark Price, Marvin Williams, Clifford Ray)

Mailman and Walton is a great frontcourt. Donyell is a nice role player at the other forward spot. Harper and Price is a nice duo in the backcourt bc they compliment each other well. Clifford Ray is a nice backup to Walton but I would’ve liked to see you get Mailman’s backup instead. I don’t know if this team has enough firepower. Karl is really the only guy who scares me. I probably would’ve went Nash in the 2nd and then loaded up on defenders. I think this team has a shot at the playoffs but I don’t think it’s a guarantee.

9. Mikee1 (Durant, DAJ, Ewing, Marques Johnson, Terrell Brandon, Moreland, Gatling)

KD and DeAndre is a great duo but I think the next target should’ve been a point guard and not another C and SF. Mo Cheeks over Ewing would’ve made this team more appealing to me. I think there’s a lot to like about this team and a lot left on the table. This team was so close to being a strong contender but as it stands I’m going to say 38-44 wins.
Bump to get all 3 eval posts on the same page
4/18/2020 11:24 PM
Posted by dBKC on 4/18/2020 12:13:00 AM (view original):
Evaluations in three parts (8 per post, in reverse order starting with the 24th pick):

Don’t get mad if you don’t like my analysis. I’m usually bad at these anyway.

24. Longtallbrad (Duncan, Garnett, Buck, Jrue, Smart, Cousins, James Johnson)

I love the idea of Duncan and Garnett playing together. 2 of the best big men of my era. Buck is a smart pick as a switchable SF/PF with Garnett guarding the better forward but Buck helping offset Garnett’s weakish rebounding. James Johnson in the 6th is a great pick just because he’s good at everything. I don’t know how efficient this team will be with Duncan/Garnett/Cousins though...I think that might hold them back. I’ll say possible but not guaranteed playoffs and not a contender.

23. BDS9992 (Dr J, Ben Wallace, Horford, Conley, Okafor, Dragic, West)

It’s funny. I think my least favorite pick of yours is the first pick. Wallace is obviously a good pick at the early 2nd. Horford and Conley are great role players. Okafor/Dragic/West are all solid that late in the draft. I don’t think I’d ever pick Dr J in the first, but looking at the whole picture it doesn’t look like a bad team. I’m assuming Erving at SG and Horford at SF? If so, the rebounding will be strong and strong enough to keep you in any game. The efficiency will only be okay and that might hurt you. I’d say this is about a 40 win team.

22. Vancem (Kawhi, Whiteside, Deron, Drexler, Willis Reed, AC Green, Bynum):

Kawhi is a great building block if you can get the right pieces around him. Whiteside is fantastic and was a big part of my last title team. Deron is a good next to Kawhi because you need to make up for Kawhi’s lack of assists. Drexler makes a great backup to Kawhi but I don’t know if I’d use a 4th on a backup...I like the first 3 picks a lot but I would’ve went a different direction afterward. Bynum is a nice pick though. He and Whiteside give you a lot up front. This should be a playoff team for sure.

21. DH555 (Stockton, Magic, Noah, Boerwinkle, Grant Hill, Mark Jackson, Westbrook)

I honestly don’t know how to evaluate this team. The passing is insane. Defense looks okay. Somehow you’re going to be able to compete in rebounding too even with all the guards. I think instead of Grant Hill, I would’ve picked a player who sucked at passing but was super efficient at scoring so that the other 4 could feed him shots, but I understand you were wanting 5 good passers on the court, and it might work, I honestly don’t know. I think this team will make the playoffs. Excited to see how it goes though. If you have success, you just raised the draft stock of every good passer in the sim.

20. Mptrey (David Robinson, Wade, Jokic, Nance, Iggy, Danny Green, Diallo)

This team is the complete opposite of the previous one. You’re barely squeaking by in assists, but my last title team only had one guy on the whole team who could pass, so that’s not a huge deal to me. I like how you have 4 great defenders to cover for Jokic’s weakness. I think you’ve got above average D and good rebounding but I just don’t see what would carry you to a championship. I think this is a playoff team but not a contender. However, you always field a strong squad and depending on your bench you could change that.

19. Me (Barkley, McHale, Klay, Simmons, O’Quinn, Mullin, Embiid)

I fell in love with the McHale/Barkley duo early in the draft but then realized that I had way too many holes to fill. This led to me having only one good passer and one good shooter in the starting 5. I still think my efficiency will win lots of games but I just don’t feel the magic on this team. I was really hoping Jerry Lucas would fall to me in the 5th. I would’ve used the Knicks version that was okay at D, good at passing and even shot some 3s. Would’ve solved a lot of problems for me. If I could do it over again I would’ve picked someone aside from Klay in the 3rd. I’m making the playoffs. Don’t think I’m repeating.

18. Pharrop (Davis, Kidd, Ibaka, Jonas, Domantas, Mirotic, Majerle)

The first three picks were GREAT but I feel like Jonas was a reach at 4. DSabonis is good value at 5 but Mirotic and Majerle seem like they were a reach with better players available like Ray Allen. This is a good team but I think going SG in the 4th with Brent Barry over Jonas and then filling in C with guys like Javale would’ve been a better overall team. I hate saying “playoffs” for almost every team because that’s not possible, but this looks like a borderline playoff team to me.

17. Coachcroft (Moses, Drummond, George, Barry, Rondo, Harkless, Javale)

Moses and Drummond up front is filthy. George is a good player at that pick in the 3rd, and after looking at your team it looks like you’re going to use him at SF since you don’t need a rebounder there thanks to Moses/Drummond, which is smart. That then gives you another shooter at the 2 (Brent Barry), and then you capitalize on your two good shooters by getting a great PG in the 5th with Rondo since you can afford his lack of shooting. So you have 1 great and 2 good passers, 2 good shooters, 2 elite rebounders, and pretty good defense overall. This looks like a playoff team to me, so maybe most of the non-playoff teams picked earlier in the draft?
Bump to get all 3 eval posts on the same page
4/18/2020 11:25 PM
Good job on the evals dB. Great read.
4/19/2020 7:14 AM
Agreed, well done - thanks!

I don't disagree with your evaluation of my team. I honestly just wanted to play with the concept of pairing Duncan and Garnett. I'll be a little surprised if I don't make the playoffs (strong on the boards, strong D, enough passing, FTAs, and 3s), but I don't expect to contend with my two highest usage starters combining for meh efficiency and Buck and Demarcus racking up fouls.
4/19/2020 9:33 AM
My defense is going to be trash but with a team efg% of 56.8% I'll be disappointed if the offense, at least, isn't good.
4/19/2020 12:12 PM
You know my plan was to draft Jerry Lucas in stead of Willis Reed. I contemplated offering Willis and Drexler for Lucas and for Willis and your 6th round pick. I think that Lucas would have been perfect next to Hassan Whiteside.
4/19/2020 2:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16|17 Next ▸
Commentary Thread DH $52M Draft League LXVIII Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.