New progressive league! (FULL) Topic

Posted by jhsukow on 5/19/2020 11:48:00 AM (view original):
How is the draft handled and how cam teams trade with themselves?
There will be a random order for the initial draft. For following drafts it will be in inverse order of finish with a lottery for the non-playoff teams. Owners with multiple teams cannot trade between their own teams, but can trade with anyone else.
5/19/2020 12:06 PM
What does “random” mean to you and how will the lottery be determined?

the trades question was fully answered, but I’m looking for much more explanation on the draft still.
5/19/2020 12:12 PM
Posted by jhsukow on 5/19/2020 12:12:00 PM (view original):
What does “random” mean to you and how will the lottery be determined?

the trades question was fully answered, but I’m looking for much more explanation on the draft still.
The initial draft order will be done by a 3rd party website that dBKC uses for the progressive league he runs. So it will be random.

A few of us are still trying to figure out the lottery odds for future seasons. It will probably closely resemble the current NBA odds.
5/19/2020 3:41 PM
I was going to suggest that. Glad you went that direction, I am a big fan of it.

For further detail, the way it works is that the commissioner gives you the lottery room/pull # at least 24 hours before the lottery can be ran. The website makes you wait until after a lotto # is assigned before you can run the results, that way you can distribute the lotto # to all participants. The website only lets you run the results for that lotto ONCE. Then all participants get a link to the results and as long as the lotto # matches the one that they were given before the lotto and as long as the time stamp of the lotto being run is AFTER you were given the number, then you can be 100% sure the results were truly random. https://defuse.ca/trustedthirdparty.htm

I assume the draft lotteries will be done this way too? It should make everyone happy, it’s literally impossible to give non random results with this method.
5/19/2020 3:56 PM (edited)
Posted by dBKC on 5/19/2020 3:56:00 PM (view original):
I was going to suggest that. Glad you went that direction, I am a big fan of it.

For further detail, the way it works is that the commissioner gives you the lottery room/pull # at least 24 hours before the lottery can be ran. The website makes you wait until after a lotto # is assigned before you can run the results, that way you can distribute the lotto # to all participants. The website only lets you run the results for that lotto ONCE. Then all participants get a link to the results and as long as the lotto # matches the one that they were given before the lotto and as long as the time stamp of the lotto being run is AFTER you were given the number, then you can be 100% sure the results were truly random. https://defuse.ca/trustedthirdparty.htm

I assume the draft lotteries will be done this way too? It should make everyone happy, it’s literally impossible to give non random results with this method.
Yeah, as long as I am commissioner (hopefully someone takes over after a season or two) the lotteries will be done this way. No way to scam the system so everyone can feel assured that it is fair.
5/19/2020 4:06 PM
Nice.

Just realized the 24 hours I quoted is inaccurate as there are other time options - but as long as you get the lotto # via site mail or unedited forum post before the time stamp of the lotto (with matching lotto #), then it’s sure to be uncompromised.

Ben, consider the fact that it’s truly random (meaning duplicates can be selected from a number range, not just ordering the numbers) when determining how you want to use it. I’d probably enter the range 1-24 and then have it pick out 100 random numbers and then manually order the results by removing duplicates. Or you can play with that option to upload a file of lines (usernames?) and there’s a checkbox that prevents lines from being chosen twice, but I’ve never tried that option.
5/19/2020 4:11 PM (edited)
Posted by dBKC on 5/19/2020 4:11:00 PM (view original):
Nice.

Just realized the 24 hours I quoted is inaccurate as there are other time options - but as long as you get the lotto # via site mail or unedited forum post before the time stamp of the lotto (with matching lotto #), then it’s sure to be uncompromised.

Ben, consider the fact that it’s truly random (meaning duplicates can be selected from a number range, not just ordering the numbers) when determining how you want to use it. I’d probably enter the range 1-24 and then have it pick out 100 random numbers and then manually order the results by removing duplicates. Or you can play with that option to upload a file of lines (usernames?) and there’s a checkbox that prevents lines from being chosen twice, but I’ve never tried that option.
Yeah I looked at it the other day. Was just going to enter 24 usernames and have it sort them.
5/19/2020 4:45 PM
I would like to join. I have never done a progressive league but, have 15 years of experience in What if...
5/19/2020 11:05 PM
Posted by johndish on 5/19/2020 11:05:00 PM (view original):
I would like to join. I have never done a progressive league but, have 15 years of experience in What if...
Great, you are in!
5/20/2020 11:39 AM
4 spots left! Not many chances to join a progressive from the start!
5/22/2020 10:25 AM
I'm giving this some thought. ben, what do you have in mind for " regulations to protect new owners from getting taken advantage of by experienced owners," given that you won't be regulating trades?
5/22/2020 1:57 PM
Posted by longtallbrad on 5/22/2020 1:57:00 PM (view original):
I'm giving this some thought. ben, what do you have in mind for " regulations to protect new owners from getting taken advantage of by experienced owners," given that you won't be regulating trades?
Would love to have you!

Im planning on having a three person trade committee. Any trade involving an owner with three or less progressive seasons is automatically up for review. If any of the three committee members veto the trade it is void. If an owner has more than 3 progressive leagues under their belt, they are considered experienced enough to know what they want.

Thats what I have now, but am open to changing or adding wording.
5/22/2020 2:00 PM
Only 2 spots left. Sign up quick!
5/22/2020 3:19 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 5/22/2020 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Would love to have you!

Im planning on having a three person trade committee. Any trade involving an owner with three or less progressive seasons is automatically up for review. If any of the three committee members veto the trade it is void. If an owner has more than 3 progressive leagues under their belt, they are considered experienced enough to know what they want.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll give it a try. It's always fun to be in on the start of a progressive league.
5/22/2020 4:35 PM
Posted by longtallbrad on 5/22/2020 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by benhoidal on 5/22/2020 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Would love to have you!

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll give it a try. It's always fun to be in on the start of a progressive league.
Great to have you! 1 spot left!
5/22/2020 4:42 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
New progressive league! (FULL) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.