Savage Draft Tournament (Full) Topic

Posted by dBKC on 5/19/2020 8:11:00 PM (view original):
I’m in
one of the best new owners in the sim...no doubt youd be in
5/19/2020 8:18 PM
In
5/19/2020 8:20 PM
Posted by robusk on 5/19/2020 8:15:00 PM (view original):
When I first read the premise I was 100% in. However, the lack of a salary cap is too big of a turn off for me. Other than that, I think it is a flawless premise. I just hate high caps / no caps with a passion. My personal opinion is that when a cap is raised to the point that every team can be stocked with plenty of quality resources, that you lessen the influence an owner can have on the outcome and you increase the impact of variance. A draft alone is not enough to offset this, and I would cite observations I have made in some high cap leagues I have been in as my evidence.

Thanks for the invite though dh555. It is really cool and I think it will be fun for a lot of users. I have tremendous fondness for you and the owners already signing up. But I just don't think I can deal with the above.
personally i would be in favor of a cap but i thought no cap would get more interest

id like to hear what you others guys think about that? would it be better with a cap?
5/19/2020 8:22 PM
Posted by dh555 on 5/19/2020 8:22:00 PM (view original):
When I first read the premise I was 100% in. However, the lack of a salary cap is too big of a turn off for me. Other than that, I think it is a flawless premise. I just hate high caps / no caps with a passion. My personal opinion is that when a cap is raised to the point that every team can be stocked with plenty of quality resources, that you lessen the influence an owner can have on the outcome and you increase the impact of variance. A draft alone is not enough to offset this, and I would cite observations I have made in some high cap leagues I have been in as my evidence.

Thanks for the invite though dh555. It is really cool and I think it will be fun for a lot of users. I have tremendous fondness for you and the owners already signing up. But I just don't think I can deal with the above.
personally i would be in favor of a cap but i thought no cap would get more interest

id like to hear what you others guys think about that? would it be better with a cap?
For my second dose of $0.02, I think anything over ~49ish and it starts to get pretty bad.
5/19/2020 8:25 PM
Any kind of a tight cap with five teams simultaneously that have the same players yet different years would be pretty hard to manage IMO. Not having a cap (or having a really high cap) is going to encourage the drafting of some guys that have been ignored in draft leagues for a decade or more. In my mind this is like a limited, flexible progressive one-shot type thing and making a tight cap to manage with zero flexibility in regards to a 12-man roster does not sound like something I'd be interested in.

I totally get what robusk is saying, though.
5/19/2020 8:27 PM
Posted by pharrop on 5/19/2020 8:20:00 PM (view original):
In
another odl/52 draft league savage...welcome pharrop
5/19/2020 8:27 PM
man the potential strategies here... do you go for trying to get best all around over the full five years? Do you focus on winning one or two seasons but still be good enough in the other seasons to rack up some Ws? My mind hasn't raced for a league like this since the early ODL days. I've already been scouting out guys and thinking of how I want to approach the draft.
5/19/2020 8:30 PM
Posted by robusk on 5/19/2020 8:25:00 PM (view original):

For my second dose of $0.02, I think anything over ~49ish and it starts to get pretty bad.
oh noooo...i wasnt thinking about anything that challenging robusk haha

i was thinking more about 55 or 57...low enough so you dont have a lot of lineup options team to team
5/19/2020 8:30 PM
anyway...i hope you change your mind robusk...you always make any league your in that much more entertaining
5/19/2020 8:31 PM
How do we determine what team goes in to what league? I’d hate to see any type of advantage created by owners trying to stick their best team in to the worst league somehow.
5/19/2020 8:32 PM
Posted by ashamael on 5/19/2020 8:30:00 PM (view original):
man the potential strategies here... do you go for trying to get best all around over the full five years? Do you focus on winning one or two seasons but still be good enough in the other seasons to rack up some Ws? My mind hasn't raced for a league like this since the early ODL days. I've already been scouting out guys and thinking of how I want to approach the draft.
right? i tried doing a top 10 draft board and it didnt go the way i thought it would..."well what about that guy"
5/19/2020 8:35 PM
Posted by dh555 on 5/19/2020 8:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 5/19/2020 8:25:00 PM (view original):

oh noooo...i wasnt thinking about anything that challenging robusk haha

i was thinking more about 55 or 57...low enough so you dont have a lot of lineup options team to team
I guess with drafting a full on 12 players it would make the cap dynamics for the low end players way to tricky for the majority of people, so you are right there.

I'd still really love to see some sort of cap so there isn't dumb stuff like "oh I am using a 9 million dollar Bill Russell to play 5 minutes of backup behind Rodman because why tf not? So even at the numbers you are proposing there is some element of reason. Even in at 52M caps I see stuff along those lines, but not nearly to the degree of that.

But I guess go ahead and pencil me in. A good number of the people I like talking to are already in, while there haven't been a flood of the annoying ones yet.
5/19/2020 8:37 PM (edited)
It’s funny, I could draft for four leagues and tank the fifth, or I could go for 45 in all five. Hard to say.

Since we have to draft 12 different players, I think no cap works best. We’ll need the flexibility later on
5/19/2020 8:39 PM (edited)
Posted by dBKC on 5/19/2020 8:32:00 PM (view original):
How do we determine what team goes in to what league? I’d hate to see any type of advantage created by owners trying to stick their best team in to the worst league somehow.
thats the beauty of running all 5 simultaneously...you cant see the other teams until the seasons starts
5/19/2020 8:38 PM
Posted by ashamael on 5/19/2020 8:27:00 PM (view original):
Any kind of a tight cap with five teams simultaneously that have the same players yet different years would be pretty hard to manage IMO. Not having a cap (or having a really high cap) is going to encourage the drafting of some guys that have been ignored in draft leagues for a decade or more. In my mind this is like a limited, flexible progressive one-shot type thing and making a tight cap to manage with zero flexibility in regards to a 12-man roster does not sound like something I'd be interested in.

I totally get what robusk is saying, though.
For this, I’m with Ash. I understand the other side, but
no cap really lets you think outside of the box with some hall of famers that are often viewed as sim poison.
5/19/2020 8:39 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...9 Next ▸
Savage Draft Tournament (Full) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.