7-6-5-4-3 Draft Topic

Any chance you will post all the clone selections here?
5/27/2020 10:29 AM
I was planning on posting some numbers tomorrow when I'm off yes
5/27/2020 12:39 PM
would love to hear everyone's team building story, i'll post mine when i get the chance
5/28/2020 12:56 AM
My thinking wasn't exceptionally unique. 7 clone and 6 clone seasons provided the biggest challenge and were easiest to use on RPs and OF/1B/DH types.
I thought Wilhelm was the best RP as he has some higher inning seasons, but he was grabbed before me. Mariano Rivera is an obvious choice with fifteen or so strong seasons to choose from.
For position players I thought you needed one player to take OF + DH + one IF season plus some low dollar seasons. I thought there were a couple to choose from. Mel Ott was my first choice, but thought Speaker or Cobb would also be strong. I also liked Paul Waner and Lance Berkman - given the choices, I gambled one would go undrafted.
I haven't really played around too much with players out of position, so I needed a player who could play 2B/SS/3B and didn't cost a fortune. I came up with Joe Sewell and John Valentin. Drafted Sewell given I could only find a couple players to fit the bill.
For my starting rotation, I just wanted three strong seasons without breaking the bank. Cy Young was my first choice but settled for Frank Smith. Three 300 IP seasons makes for an easy rotation.
Catching was really just about finding a player who had four seasons with some backup seasons that could provide depth. Settled on Mike Stanley who offers some ABs as a backup 1B as well. Didn't necessarily fit perfectly with rest of the squad but has seasons which fit perfectly from a salary perspective.

Was a fun puzzle
5/28/2020 8:49 AM
Drafting 18th, most of the great pitching choices were gone. I had done a clones league a long time ago and used Lou Boudreau. He was one of the only options that would reasonably allow me to go with two position players as he has Catcher and SS seasons and can play OOP at 2B/3B (actually has a couple years with fielding grades there too). I felt this would allow me to go with a 3-pitcher staff, meaning I could get up to 10 strong reliever seasons and compete with some of the Pedro/Kershaw/Maddux staffs.

At this point, it's a math problem with 13 max pitcher spots. That means my pitchers have to be either 6/4/3 or 5/4/3 and my hitters have to be either 7/5 or 7/6. I planned to use Boudreau as a 5 (C, SS, 3B, 2B, utility) and a lefty- or switch-hitting player at OF/1B/DH/pinch-hitter. For pitching, I wanted a righty-reliever, lefty-reliever, and a 3-clone starter to fill the innings. I wanted Mariano Rivera or Eckersley given their longer innings but both went before it got back to me, as did Billy Wagner, one of my lefty options. I liked Tris Speaker as my other hitter, but he went at the end of the 1st round. There weren't a lot of 6-clone reliever options left so I went with Joe Nathan over Kimbrel, Jansen, Chapman, etc.

I went to building my team and eventually settled on Andrew Miller as my lefty reliever and Stan Musial as my lefty hitter. Once Miller went with the 4th-to-last pick, I looked at Aroldis Champman and Sean Doolittle and luckily settled on Doolittle as Chapman was the 2nd-to-last pick. At this point, I went to work finalizing my team and after a few hours got one I liked. I figured there would be a bunch of power-hitting teams and with non-power-hitting Boudreau on board I focused on a HR-suppressing park meaning I could afford a pitcher with high HR totals. I went with Don Drysdale who gave me just enough innings. Everything fit together nicely after a handful of revisions.

Then freaking Boddicker took Musial with the last freaking pick! I was devastated. I went back to the drawing board. Looked at Mantle but he has too much power as does Ted Williams. Finally looked at Joe Jackson and while he doesn't have as good fielding as Musial (worse OF fielding and no 1B seasons so have to play out of position there) he actually is a better fit for my team and allows me to go all the way to -4 HR park in Target Field.

Final choices were just making things fit, but Jackson instead of Musial did allow me to get better Drysdale seasons. Hopefully that helps. With Musial, I had 7 Boudreaus, but Joe Jackson actually has two nice low-salary pinch-hitting seasons for less than $3m combined so that was perfect. He also had one good fielding season in the OF and at a lower salary so he can be my CF and #8 hitter. I was really bummed I couldn't use Boudreau's best season but whatever happened to some players' salaries during my WIS hiatus jacked him up over $12m and I just couldn't justify it. PA will be a little tight, so will have to manage that but I think I'll be ok.

Overall, this was way more fun and interesting than I initially expected. Do another version soon daddyzander!
5/28/2020 1:04 PM
I almost feel like my draft position was a bit of a curse. With such a gap between my two picks, I felt like I had to take a good 6 or 7 position player. There were better overall options, but none filled as many holes as Pete Rose. I'm not disappointed with him as my pick, but I feel like I could've gotten him lower down, and ended up with a better 2nd round pick. But regardless, a switch-hitter who hits over .300 every season, plays good defense at multiple positions and doesn't strike out a ton is valuable. I decided I would put him in Palace of the Fans almost immediately, since I don't have many homers.

I really wanted both L and R pitchers, who had starting and relief seasons, but the good options (like Dennis Eckersley) were gone before my pick. I had a few pitchers I wanted come my 2nd pick, but I figured Andrew Miller was the most in danger of being picked behind me, so I grabbed him. His low OAV should help a lot at POTF, with that park suppressing any homer issues he has as well. I had my eye on Roger Clemens for a while, do to his solid OAV+ numbers, 4 190+ ERC seasons, and lots of innings. He survived the draft, so I grabbed him. I did consider John Smoltz, but his SP seasons weren't as strong.

I really wanted Neifi Perez and did not expect him to be drafted. A solid SS season, a good bench bat, and two scrub seasons to save salary. *sigh*. I still needed a C, SS and 1B or DH. I ultimately went with Joe Mauer who checks 3 of those boxes, plus a solid bench season. I had to take a cheaper DH season than I wanted to to get under the cap, but still solid. With the money I have left, I went with Joe Cronin. Not a stud by any means, but a SS season with a decent average and good range, plus some .300+ BA bench seasons.

Not sure how to feel about this team, but I think I have a well-balanced roster.
5/28/2020 1:26 PM (edited)
Once the draft positions were allocated, I knew that I would be taking a RP as my 7, and catcher would be 3 or 4. I went with Pesky in the first cuz he took care of three IF spots, has good D, and a high OBP. Went with Santana on the comeback cuz he's a decent LH, and having 7 RH RP (ending up being Papelbon) would work well. So, that was Pesky, Santana, and Papelbon. Now I needed an OF, hopefully one with a crappy D year so I could get a cheap DH, and a catcher. I tried all kinds of guys who have been dead for a long time, but none of them fit (too many PA, D was lousy, not enough stellar seasons). Aaron fit perfectly, and has that 2B season so I can platoon him with the LH Pesky at that position. Done. Now, a catcher. I had about 10M for a catcher. At first I as going to go with Slaught or Redmond, but with 10M, I could do better than that. Tried Torre, hoping that one of his 3B years was enough to fill the 100 PA shortage I was having with Pesky. Toree's salary was too high. Then tried Mauer, that didn't work either . . .Earl Smith was the ticket. I just needed three of him, really good average seasons, two good defense seasons, and the price was right. I was able to get a 200K to finish it off. I'm sure Aaron's HR's will be wasted, but hoping that a lot of those will turn into doubles. My main concern is the 1509 IP . . .would have liked to have another 75-100. That may be my downfall . . .then again, maybe all my guys are meh. But it was fun building strategies (including a Silver King one that would have worked at 140M).
5/28/2020 6:26 PM
Henceforth I shall be known as FREAKING BODDICKER...LOL......tbh, I was considering the Say Hey Kid at spot 48 but I have not had good luck with him in other leagues over 110M.... I was just waiting there at 48, waiting to fill my 3OF-1B-DH spot. I considered Shoeless Joe as well....I decided Musial was my best option to support The Big Train at Griffith.This is the first time I have EVER landed the first pick in a league like this- I went with Johnson over Ruth( who went at 2).... Using Maranville in my IF gives me good D for cheap, and several real cheap bench spots to allow Walter/ Stan salaries. I needed two more RP spots and settled on Papelbon as the best not already tabbed with the money I had left.
5/28/2020 6:39 PM
So just an update. I had a day off and spent it doing everything under the sun aside from looking at wis. But hey my kids now have a new fish tank that cost me more than it was ever supposed too and took way too much time to assemble. Will get some stats and stuff done in a day or so.
5/28/2020 7:06 PM
I went with Hornsby because I could play him at 5 spots in the batting order. He filled up my infield as well. It is turned out to be a good choice with the overabundance of left handed pitching in this league. I would bet that either he, Nap, Foxx, or Simmons will end up being the MVP in the league because of that abundance of LHP. I originally went with Carey in the OF because of his overall defense and a switch hitter but changed to Gwynn because of his better BA on all three of the starting OF positions. He also has a B+/B+ on one of his selections so he can play center. i debated the catching position. Even though Hornsby could play first his fielding their was D/D. I sometime forget about Victor Martinez when drafting a team. His defense was acceptable at both 1b and C. He also provides some much needed power if I played in those power parks. He is also a switch hitter with a BA in the .330 range. I chose Sutton and Britton as my pitching staff. Sutton and Britton just need to do enough to keep me in the game. This is a higher BA team so I chose Hornsby's primary home park, Sportsman. I expect to play a lot of high scoring games.
5/28/2020 7:20 PM
Kershaw or Pedro? Pedro or Kershaw? I went back and forth a number of times with this choice as my top pick (#3 overall). Pedro has better hr/9 numbers, but I could theoretically use 7 Kershaw's and have over 1400 innings. Once I knew I was playing in a low HR park and with the added flexibility, I went with Kershaw. I see razorclams took Pedro and used his expensive 2000 season (which I wasn't going to do). I pretty much refuse to pay the inflated price for any stud player, in a salary-capped theme league.

When it got all the way back to me, I kept flipping around my offensive roster with different combinations of T.Phillips, G.Davis and/or F.Frisch with various catching options. I considered drafting George Davis to screw some folks who counted on him, but decided Kenley Jansen was too valuable to pass up.

Jansen's HRs won't hurt me as much in a -4 HR park. My cumulative pitching total has a whip under 0.90 with tons of strikeouts. Now to sort through the hitting puzzle. I was going to use 7 Phillips and 4 G.Davis but I didn't like my offense as Phillips has too many < .280 batting average seasons (even though he still gets on base). I also didn't think I had enough offense at catcher if I went with a 3-cloned platoon. Once I pivoted to Cap Anson (C, 1B, DH), now I have six full-time batters who hit over .340, and I can mix in 3 Tony Phillips > .400 OBP seasons. Cautiously optimistic despite an 0-3 start.
5/29/2020 3:27 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8
7-6-5-4-3 Draft Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.