The Radical Left Elected Trump Topic

Hear me out because I actually believe this to be true. The radical left created the cultural environment that allowed someone like Trump to have a viable path to the presidency and ultimately actually win it.

After 4 years of Trump (not to mention the other craziness of the 2020 year) it is easy to forget the cultural landscape of 2015-2016. It was this landscape which produced the Trump phenomenon. Free speech stifled on the Missouri Campus, protesters on college campuses railing against the most minor offenses asking for outlandish punishments (either institutionally or culturally applied). I live in a liberal city and am in a liberal field of work. By 2015, in everyday conversation white straight male became a pejorative. This barely scrapes the surface of the tensions wrought by 2014 (gamergate anyone), 2015, and 2016. The radical left had taken over and were intent on shaming anyone who thought differently than them.

This is general. This is a brief overview. Trump does not impress me. But he is the left's creation, not the right's. I was so disgusted about what the left had become that I left the Democratic party in 2015 (I was a lifelong Democrat) and vowed never to vote for another of their candidates again. It was a vow made in anger. It was more emotional than logical. I didn't vote in 2016. I probably won't vote in 2020. But it is that emotion that spurred my decision that turned so many others (I believe) from the increasingly extreme left.

That's how I see it at least.
5/21/2020 4:04 PM
Wrong. Hillary lost by 77,000 votes in 4 rust belt states, amongst them, Wisconsin. If she had campaigned there even twice more.......

Also Russian meddling

Jill Stein

Voter suppression

Electoral College

Hillary beat Don the Con by 4 million votes.
5/21/2020 4:34 PM
If your argument is that the Trump movement is entirely reactionary, I would 100% agree. However, I believe that many of your complaints aren't actually major problems in America, they just seem to be because grifters want you to believe that they are. You cited two examples of events on college campuses, and also gamergate. These aren't cultural issues in America today any more than they were 20 years ago.

I am sympathetic to your argument, though. I am a young(er) person compared to many others on these forums. Judging by your reference of gamergate, I assume you are too. I understand why people in this generation can get sucked into your mindset. That's why it's important to take a step back, stop focusing on what some dumb kids on college campuses are doing, and look at actual policies that impact everyone's lives far more.

It would be really interesting if you gave examples of some actual policies that you believe the "radical left" enacted to elect Trump. I'm NOT asking for examples of what some people who happen to be on the left do. I'm asking for laws or regulations from elected representatives. Thanks.
5/21/2020 5:11 PM
The left screwed up by underestimating the distrust of Hillary and STILL nominating Hillary. It was stupid, arrogant and we all have paid for it.
5/21/2020 6:27 PM
What rsp said. But that’s more on moderate dems than the left. Bernie wouldn’t have faired any better though. Not sure who should’ve run. Sherrod Brown maybe? I love Liz but I realize she’s not for everyone.

And gamergate was decidedly not a far left creation. That was all the alt-right.

5/21/2020 7:41 PM
I think that Bernie could have beaten Trump in 2016. I think a lot of candidates could have beaten Trump in 2016. If Biden had ran, he would have won. Trump won in part because Clinton was a historically unpopular candidate.

He's a whole lot stronger this year, so Democrats blew an easy win by nominating Clinton. But as you said, that's on the moderates.
5/21/2020 7:55 PM
Posted by tangplay on 5/21/2020 7:55:00 PM (view original):
I think that Bernie could have beaten Trump in 2016. I think a lot of candidates could have beaten Trump in 2016. If Biden had ran, he would have won. Trump won in part because Clinton was a historically unpopular candidate.

He's a whole lot stronger this year, so Democrats blew an easy win by nominating Clinton. But as you said, that's on the moderates.
I can’t help but disagree that the guy who epically messed up and continues to mess up the coronavirus response while cratering the economy is “much stronger.”
5/21/2020 8:09 PM
Not that he's a better candidate, but you can't deny that his base has continued to rally around him. His support among the right has only continued to rise. Even many Republicans were unconvinced with Trump circa 2016. Now, he's their God.
5/21/2020 8:17 PM
Posted by tangplay on 5/21/2020 8:17:00 PM (view original):
Not that he's a better candidate, but you can't deny that his base has continued to rally around him. His support among the right has only continued to rise. Even many Republicans were unconvinced with Trump circa 2016. Now, he's their God.
Yes, but that base has shrunk and his opposition has emboldened. Biden is up 7-9 points in almost every national poll, he’s up in every swing state, enthusiasm to vote for Biden is 69% to Trumps 63%. He’s the god of a dying minority, Seniors prefer Biden, that’s almost unheard of.
5/21/2020 11:22 PM

I think Bernie would have lost by more than Clinton did. We'll never know though.
5/21/2020 11:22 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 5/21/2020 11:22:00 PM (view original):

I think Bernie would have lost by more than Clinton did. We'll never know though.
That was going to be my comment but you beat me to it.
5/22/2020 12:09 AM
I don't know about that. Trump was historically unpopular, but Clinton was as well. Sanders was never going to be as unpopular as Clinton, especially if the DNC embraced him as the candidate.
5/22/2020 12:40 AM
Which they would NEVER have done, at least enthusiastically.
5/22/2020 8:33 AM
Posted by Uofa2 on 5/21/2020 8:09:00 PM (view original):

I can’t help but disagree that the guy who epically messed up and continues to mess up the coronavirus response while cratering the economy is “much stronger.”
The CDC (the only source I remotely trust for virus info) changed their stance on this virus after (at least) 4 months of detailed study, but the POTUS should have known better back then. Do you realize how freakin' dumb you sound? You're no different than rp or bronx: just hatred after hatred after hatred, with some divisiveness tossed-in for good measure. That's a "great" way to help America and Americans - or so today's Dems/Libs certainly appear to think.
5/22/2020 9:31 AM
as usual. someone disagrees with all3, they are dumb and hate Trump. How does it help America when you and your ilk call anyone who disagrees with you an idiot and a liar?
5/22/2020 12:30 PM
123 Next ▸
The Radical Left Elected Trump Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.