Savage Draft Commentary thread Topic

Put your discussion here. Normal draft rules apply: no talkerino about undrafted players!
5/21/2020 10:29 PM
Rosters

1. dh555 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Chauncey Billups, Horace Grant, Amare Stoudemire, Kevin Love, John Henson, Doug Christie, Eddie Jones, Tim Hardaway, Dan Majerle

2. copernicus - Michael Jordan, Mookie Blaylock, Bill Walton, Bob McAdoo, Kenneth Faried, Ryan Anderson, Victor Oladipo, Joel Embiid, Goran Dragic, Domantas Sabonis

3. bds9992 - Karl Malone, Nikola Jokic. Serge Ibaka, Andre Iguodala, Carlos Boozer, Jose Calderon, Jeff Hornacek, Rodney McCray, Rashard Lewis, Zelmo Beaty

4. kinoa1 - Shaquille O'Neal, Walt Frazier, Bobby Jones, Kyrie Irving, Samuel Dalembert, Nicolas Batum, Kemba Walker, Javale McGee, Marvin Williams, Bill Bridges

5. 24kpyrite - Chris Paul, Bill Russell, Patrick Ewing, Paul Pierce, Anthony Mason, Joe Dumars, Kevin Johnson, Vince Carter, Demarcus Cousins, P.J. Brown

6. tarheel1991 - Kevin Durant, Tyson Chandler, Jerry Lucas, Chris Mullin, Damien Lillard, Nate McMillan, Wes Unseld, Montrezl Harrell, Kyle O'Quinn, Brandon Roy

7. jpevans31 - Dwight Howard, Ben Wallace, Sidney Moncrief, Brent Barry, Joe Ingles, Otto Porter Jr, James Worthy, Mason Plumlee, Yao Ming, Muggsy Bogues

8. samuelyork93 - John Stockton, Dirk Nowitzki, Clyde Drexler, Bob Lanier, Bo Outlaw, Robert Horry, Marc Gasol. Dana Barros, Blake Griffin, Toni Kukoc

9. gerryred - David Robinson,Shawn Marion, Mark Price, Kyle Korver, A.C. Green, Marcin Gortat, Jason Terry, Tony Parker, Greg Monroe, Spencer Haywood

10. dskantor - Moses Malone, Paul George, Pau Gasol, Derek Harper, Rasheed Wallace, Terrell Brandon, Swen Nater, Lamar Odom, Roy Tarpley, Mike Miller

11. pexetera - Charles Barkley, Shawn Kemp, Andrei Kirilenko, Clint Capela, Alvin Robertson, Jimmy Butler, Enes Kanter, Brandan Wright, Ed Davis, Mark Jackson

12. dbkc - James Harden, Rudy Gobert, Alonzo Mourning, Donyell Marshall, Jerry West, Paul Pressey, Cedric Maxwell, Dave Cowens, Jamario Moon, Kyle Anderson

13. ysw128 - Deandre Jordan, Andre Drummond, Kobe Bryant, Maurice Cheeks, Adrian Dantley, Mike Conley, Kermit Washington, Tom Boerwinkle, Don Buse, Jeff Ruland

14. pharrop - Larry Bird, Marcus Camby, Robert Parish, Jrue Holiday, Andrew Bynum, Nick Anderson, Alex English, Clifford Ray, Kenny Smith, Michael Cooper

15. robusk - Artis Gilmore, Kawhi Leonard, Al Horford, Eric Bledsoe, Gerald Wallace, Jon Barry, Anderson Varejao, Darren Collison, Grant Hill, Richaun Holmes

16. amerk1180 - Tim Duncan, Dikembe Mutombo, Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, George Gervin, J.R. Smith, Mel Daniels, Brevin Knight, Mark Eaton, JaMychal Green

17. mptrey - Magic Johnson, Kevin McHale, Manu Ginobili, Joakim Noah, Andrew Bogut, Bradley Beal, Derrick Favors, Pascal Siakam, Bismack Biyombo

18. 20ks - Kevin Garnett, Karl Anthony Towns, Draymond Green, Anfernee Hardaway, Reggie Miller, Shane Battier, Elvin Hayes, Peja Stojakovic, John Havlicek

19. jcred5 - Giannis Antetokounmpo, Gary Payton, Kyle Lowry, Charles Oakley, Willis Reed, Chris Andersen, Paul Westphal, Alvan Adams, Kirk Hinrich

20. goetz93 - Scottie Pippen, Jason Kidd, Walt Bellamy, Dale Davis, Danny Granger, Paul Millsap, Myles Turner, Josh Smith, Raef Lafrentz

21. longtallbrad - Dennis Rodman, Dwyane Wade, Buck Williams, Deron Williams, Nikola Vucevic, Jeff Teague, Arvydas Sabonis, Jameer Nelson, James Johnson

22. jhsukow - Anthony Davis, Steve Nash, Larry Nance, Marques Johnson, Ben Simmons, Robert Covington, Jonas Valanciunas, Buddy Hield, Troy Murphy

23. ashamael - Klay Thompson, Oscar Robertson, Elton Brand, Paul Silas, Emeka Okafor, Chris Webber, LARRY SANDERS!, Michael Redd, Glen Rice

24. benhoidal - Hakeem Olajuwon, Julius Erving, Hassan Whiteside, Danny Green, Terry Porter, Charlie Ward, Tree Rollins, Rodney Rogers, Chris Gatling
6/2/2020 7:52 PM (edited)
I guess I was shouting into the echo chamber in the classified over there. Me, ash and ben as the last three in the round is really something.
5/21/2020 10:38 PM
not gonna bother with the whole grading / eval type stuff as this is pretty new territory. I will say that my grading has been pretty consistent with how people were drafted.

I had Kareem 1, Shaq 2, Mailman 4, Jordan 5, CP3 6, Durant 12. Only reason I had Durant as low as I did was that a couple of his better seasons are shorter in minutes which, in a no cap league, I value an opposite way than I would for a normal draft league.
5/21/2020 11:59 PM (edited)
I wish this would have happened some time over the last 12 weeks when I was without my wife and kid... and not the week they are coming back.
5/21/2020 10:41 PM
Posted by robusk on 5/21/2020 10:38:00 PM (view original):
I guess I was shouting into the echo chamber in the classified over there. Me, ash and ben as the last three in the round is really something.
I didn't even see that till after the trade. Not sure if I'm more happy to be drafting ahead of Ben but behind you some rounds or behind Ben but ahead of you.
5/21/2020 10:48 PM
To me, having the 15th pick (the worst pick?) feels good. Nice to have a built in excuse.
5/21/2020 10:52 PM
I don't think there's any bad positions in this format... just have to be realistic about the types of guys that will be available and formulate a strategy for that slot.
5/21/2020 10:59 PM
my top 5 was clear

1. shaq
2. kareem
4. karl malone
5. mj

but after that it was kinda up in the air for me....cp3 was my top choice for pgs...durant was one of my top choices for high usg scorers

im already second guessing my kareem pick tho...mailman or #3 might have been an easier option to build around

5/21/2020 11:01 PM
I figured some would see Durant as overdrafted; I almost went in multiple different directions (I'll explain why I didn't go in those directions once the other guys I considered come off the board) and recent history says I'm likely to screw up a Durant build. But to give the brief version of why I picked him: there are 46 player seasons with at least 2000 minutes, 50 defense, 27% usage, and 55% efg. 29 of those seasons, by my count, belong to guys who are blacklisted or were gone before my pick. Of the remaining 17 seasons, only one guy has more than two: Durant, who has six.

So - I felt like I couldn't pass up the opportunity for every one of my teams to have a 55%+ efg, tier 1 or 2 usage player. And beyond the consistent high usage, high efficiency, he also provides roughly consistent levels of rebounds, assists, and threes. So it gives me the comfort of having a pretty similar baseline across each of my five teams, and gives me the most flexibility of any of the other picks I could have gone with. As of now, I think the five seasons I'm most likely to use are 12-13, 13-14, 15-16, 17-18, and 18-19. Though 16-17 (the best per-minute season but only 2000 minutes) and 11-12 (slightly lower efficiency but over 3100 minutes) are possible depending on how things shake out. Nice to have seven credible options for five teams.
5/21/2020 11:06 PM
I'm pretty sure the guy DH has #3 and Ash has #5 are the same guy - and he was the one I was closest to going with over Durant. When he gets picked I'll explain why I decided against it.
5/21/2020 11:08 PM
It is pretty good drafting so far. There have been 6 picks so far and all 6 were in the top 7 of my big board.
5/21/2020 11:10 PM
By the way - are we all just supposed to accept that dh comes up with this awesome new league idea, blacklists three guys, then gets himself the #1 pick so he can take his boy Kareem #1 overall? I think if he wins it all we have to make him donate half of his prizes back into the prize pool
5/21/2020 11:11 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 5/21/2020 11:06:00 PM (view original):
I figured some would see Durant as overdrafted; I almost went in multiple different directions (I'll explain why I didn't go in those directions once the other guys I considered come off the board) and recent history says I'm likely to screw up a Durant build. But to give the brief version of why I picked him: there are 46 player seasons with at least 2000 minutes, 50 defense, 27% usage, and 55% efg. 29 of those seasons, by my count, belong to guys who are blacklisted or were gone before my pick. Of the remaining 17 seasons, only one guy has more than two: Durant, who has six.

So - I felt like I couldn't pass up the opportunity for every one of my teams to have a 55%+ efg, tier 1 or 2 usage player. And beyond the consistent high usage, high efficiency, he also provides roughly consistent levels of rebounds, assists, and threes. So it gives me the comfort of having a pretty similar baseline across each of my five teams, and gives me the most flexibility of any of the other picks I could have gone with. As of now, I think the five seasons I'm most likely to use are 12-13, 13-14, 15-16, 17-18, and 18-19. Though 16-17 (the best per-minute season but only 2000 minutes) and 11-12 (slightly lower efficiency but over 3100 minutes) are possible depending on how things shake out. Nice to have seven credible options for five teams.
I had Durant #3, behind Shaq and KAJ. So I like the pick.
5/21/2020 11:11 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 5/21/2020 11:11:00 PM (view original):
By the way - are we all just supposed to accept that dh comes up with this awesome new league idea, blacklists three guys, then gets himself the #1 pick so he can take his boy Kareem #1 overall? I think if he wins it all we have to make him donate half of his prizes back into the prize pool
nah shaq is my boy...not kareem

i passed on shaq because i have him in the tepl league

no blacklist would be looking pretty damn good right now haha...i think i actually would have went lebron over wilt

5/21/2020 11:19 PM
1|2|3...125 Next ▸
Savage Draft Commentary thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.