ODL 76 Discussion Topic

Man.....unless I totally don’t understand how the SIM works, I’m not feeling the love. And yes, I always get 35-40 wins but I can’t see how that’s the case this time.

The idea that I would draft 02-03 Garnett in this league is ludicrous. I suppose it’s doable with cheaper Shaq, Kareem, Dwight (see dBKC’s last team), maybe even Artis Gilmore, Gobert, DJ, or Whiteside, but without one of them it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Even with them, it is a ridiculous waste of money. If I’m so intent on getting defense and passing at that position in this league, I’d wait for Horford or Draymond and I’d get some 3s. 03 Garnett is inefficient and way too expensive at this cap. Now, 06 Garnett is good. His FG% and FT% are higher, he’s a 36.2 CReb% guy, and his 11.3 TOV% is really good. I’d rather have him than Walton, Wallace or Whiteside. Not to mention his 14.3 Ast%. Just because I could play 03 at SF, doesn’t mean I should.

Penny? Easy. Needed a lead guard who wreaks havoc on both ends and he’s one of the most usable.

Kemp? Yeah, I would sweat his turnovers if I wasn’t about to pick Korver and Porter but I was and I did. You know how many guys give you 12/25 Reb% with 25 Usg%, 55 eFG% and 75 D? Him, Dwight and Shaq. And 505 minute Wilt. Four seasons. Got him in the third. No, he’s not overrated. Robusk, you never saw sly pick him over and over again in this league. It worked. I slept on him for too long but he’s coming back in style and that’s that. Yes, I just showed sly some love. I’m in a weird place.

Korver and Porter? Threes. By the way, out of necessity this is 18 Porter with 63 D, and he can guard point guards and shooting guards just fine, which means I can move Penny all around the perimeter for 37 minutes. I also have good defenders behind Korver and Porter, so I won’t be hemorrhaging points at any time.

Three legitimate two way threats with enough spacing to let them wreak havoc inside? Yeah, that works. I can definitely hide Korver on any team.

I’m excited. I should be. I should stop huffing and puffing. Relax, self. Go back to bed. All right, I’m going back to bed. *grunts*
6/11/2020 10:17 AM (edited)
@bds9992: it wouldn’t be the ODL if you didn’t have an extremely high opinion of your team. I hope you are right.
6/11/2020 10:44 AM
Whenever I have to do evals, I feel like my team sucks that season because I didn’t pay as much attention to the draft as I should have. That was doubly bad with the Savage draft. So I feel like I could be in real trouble here.
6/11/2020 10:45 AM
mikee1 - Barkley, Charles; Walton, Bill; Irving, Kyrie; Blaylock, Mookie; Beal, Bradley; Okafor, Emeka; Evans, Reggie: That was a pretty big trade to then draft Irving way before he is normally drafted. I am a well-documented “Mookie is trash in the sim” -guy. I suspect you are going with a lower usage Barkley than I recommend. Beal is so ******* good and such a steal, but also a poor fit on this team. Okafor and Evans are fine. 36 – 41 wins.

Barkley 87-88 big guns only
Kyrie is the catalyst behind the Barkley+perimeter strategy. Beal/Blaylock/Kyrie 660+ 3PM, so I am hoping to be tough to defend. Beal backs up 3 positions in the shorter 16-17 season. I'll take the hit in passing and rebounding while he's in.
The beauty is the high usage efficiency. 56% EFG as a team.
Tthe warts are the passing and the front court bench- it is BAD.
6/11/2020 10:46 AM
Posted by robusk on 6/11/2020 10:44:00 AM (view original):
@bds9992: it wouldn’t be the ODL if you didn’t have an extremely high opinion of your team. I hope you are right.
oh you’re right, I just need this to work and I still don’t understand why it doesn’t! At least I have reasons
6/11/2020 10:48 AM
Mikee, I think your team is sick. Take that for what it’s worth coming from me.
6/11/2020 10:49 AM
@ashamael: fwiw, Boozer is my blind spot. Almost every season the team that has him exceeds my projections.
6/11/2020 11:06 AM
Posted by bds9992 on 6/11/2020 10:49:00 AM (view original):
Mikee, I think your team is sick. Take that for what it’s worth coming from me.
Appreciate it!- I think you might revise that assessment once you see the first few box scores and Walton/Okafor are rotated out...could get ugly.
6/11/2020 11:09 AM
Okay, sobered up and added the writeup for tarheel's squad.
6/11/2020 11:57 AM
Posted by bds9992 on 6/11/2020 10:48:00 AM (view original):
oh you’re right, I just need this to work and I still don’t understand why it doesn’t! At least I have reasons
For what it’s worth, I think you’re a much better owner than you were even a year or two ago. However, with this particular team I see one huge flaw. Don’t see how you make the playoffs. I’ll explain once teams are final.
6/11/2020 12:15 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 6/11/2020 12:15:00 PM (view original):
For what it’s worth, I think you’re a much better owner than you were even a year or two ago. However, with this particular team I see one huge flaw. Don’t see how you make the playoffs. I’ll explain once teams are final.
“you’re a much better owner than you were even a year or two ago” - absolutely correct
6/11/2020 12:18 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 6/11/2020 12:15:00 PM (view original):
OK.....I'll listen.
6/11/2020 12:19 PM
Posted by robusk on 6/11/2020 11:57:00 AM (view original):
Okay, sobered up and added the writeup for tarheel's squad.
My team is best evaluated drunk.

As to usage - I realize the starting lineup is around 110% which is high. But there's no way to get backups for Harden and Wade anywhere near 36% usage which means I need enough to stay out of the penalty when one of them is out. For Doncic's minutes - roughly 2300 of them - usage will be in the range of 100%-105%, which is where I want to be. And even in the other 1800ish minutes, usage will often dip lower than 110% due to lower-usage backups. As for usage points - I really don't pay much attention to them except to make sure that I'm not in the penalty; as long as I'm around 105%-110% usage I don't care (and I don't think it matters for purposes of efficiently spending money) whether I have 12 usage points or 17.

Obviously I would have much preferred Kyrie as the third guard over Luka, which is why I tried to trade up for him. Really disappointed he went so high; this would have had a better chance of success with Kyrie and giving up the draft capital wouldn't have mattered given who else I was targeting. After he went, there really wasn't anyone else available who gave me the 30%+ usage and 20%+ assists I wanted with reasonable efficiency. But 49.7% efg with a huge free throw rate (though a mediocre FT%) isn't all that bad, and Luka brings elite rebounding for a guard as well.

All in all I suspect the wins prediction is roughly accurate, though.
6/12/2020 12:40 PM
thomcat - James, LeBron; Drummond, Andre; Marshall, Donyell; Webber, Chris; Jackson, Mark; Marjanovic, Boban; Perkins, Kendrick: Rounds 1- 4: Brilliance. Round 4 – 6: Why? There is a lot of good defense, rebounding, and efficiency on this squad. However, it feels a little light on threes and a little heavy on turnovers. There is also some dependency on getting quality bench usage which is a challenge given how much money left I peg you at. 28 – 33 wins.

I understand the ? around Mark Jackson. Was looking for 3s and assists in that order but all 11 3 pt guys that I had a reasonable chance for were gone. I knew I could probably pick up a Heild type for 3s later on, which I did . He'll start at 2. Jackson will back up Lebron and Heild. I think I have enough bench usage with Kendrick P at 17.8 and 60%, a cheaper version of Henson 22.7 48%, Marjanovich 22.8 at 60%, Gattison 16.2 at 47% and Jackson. HAdto take a lesser version of Lebron's D (70) to accommodate the bench ad well as lesser version of Webber. Yes, high TOs, but I think we will do better than 33.
6/12/2020 3:50 PM
Now that the league is set, I'll make the following comment(s):

I was real confused that Andrew Bynum wasn't picked. He used to be a consistent fourth round guy. He gave me a great backup, so I'm not complaining, but man... how things have changed.

I was even more confused that Cheick Diallo wasn't picked in the 6th. Maybe people (like me) were more concerned with getting good back-ups to their usg% positions, but man, that dude is a boss at the 3.

I think there were a couple of others I was really surprised about but those were the main two.
6/12/2020 4:33 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...11 Next ▸
ODL 76 Discussion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.