Screen Passes - What's Up with That? Topic

In theory: if I am running the NDB and I set my RB and TE2 to run SHORT pass routes and then throw to my WR at the VERY SHORT depth, is that essentially a screen pass as the RB and TE2 would effect down field blocking?

Any thoughts?

SmokePants
5/28/2020 1:04 PM
That's one way to think about it. Passing depths are as follows;
V: 0 or less
S: 1-6
M: 7-12
L: 13-20
D: 20+

I suppose if you V to a WR, it would be a screen pass and the RB & TE2 would be further down field.
5/28/2020 1:21 PM
That's what it sounds like on paper, but who knows how the sim actually draws it up. lol
5/28/2020 2:26 PM
Conte once said receivers downfield do NOT factor into the blocking equation. They simply drag the defender assigned with them, which in essence, results in blocking since more times than not that defender is not close enough to make a tackle. HOWEVER, if the receivers' routes are very short, short, or medium then the defender on them may likely be in the proximity of runners to get in on the tackle. It's counter intuitive but I've had success with "screens" when the receivers run deep routes - hence eliminating one or two additional potential tacklers.
5/28/2020 3:30 PM
Posted by goldencats on 5/28/2020 1:21:00 PM (view original):

I suppose if you V to a WR, it would be a screen pass and the RB & TE2 would be further down field.
Cats, where did you find this passing info?
5/28/2020 4:55 PM
Posted by majique on 5/28/2020 3:30:00 PM (view original):
Conte once said receivers downfield do NOT factor into the blocking equation. They simply drag the defender assigned with them, which in essence, results in blocking since more times than not that defender is not close enough to make a tackle. HOWEVER, if the receivers' routes are very short, short, or medium then the defender on them may likely be in the proximity of runners to get in on the tackle. It's counter intuitive but I've had success with "screens" when the receivers run deep routes - hence eliminating one or two additional potential tacklers.
Found this in the Dev chat;

If the "block" function is unselected on the formation do Tight Ends/Full Backs block on running plays? Same question could be asked of Wide Receivers on any given play. (noah23 - Hall of Famer - 6:11 PM)

Yes. Tight Ends, Full back, and WR will all block. The difference is where their blocking influence will occur. If they are set "isBlocking" they will be added to the offensive line and influence very short and short runs in the middle and to the outside. If they are not blocking they will have blocking influence based on there route specification. For example, if a TE has a 50% chance of running a medium route, a 50% chance of running a short route his influence will be split between those two locations.

5/29/2020 11:54 PM
" For example, if a TE has a 50% chance of running a medium route, a 50% chance of running a short route his influence will be split between those two locations. "

So say you're throwing Very Short to your RB1 100% of the time. The TE is *not* set to block. For the VS play, his box is set to 0; 'vertically' the numbers add up to 100 because they have to (in this case all 100 go to RB1). If you total the TE numbers across the formation (horizontally), they will add up to over 100 (let's say 0 for VS, 50 for S, 25 for M, 25 L, 10 D for 110).
So where is that example coming from - the vertical or the horizontal? Is it normalizing the horizontal value to approximate a percentage? Or am I completely missing it?
5/30/2020 6:15 AM
Posted by 0bigzeke0 on 5/28/2020 4:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by goldencats on 5/28/2020 1:21:00 PM (view original):

Cats, where did you find this passing info?
Sorry bigzeke, just now saw your question. That info is found in the WIS Player’s Guide under the Help menu. The passing yard table is near the bottom.
5/30/2020 6:21 AM
I think you guys are on to something, but I'm not completely understanding it yet.
5/30/2020 1:55 PM
sometimes what happens is people get asked questions they have no idea the answer to so they make **** up

even people that work for the sim
5/30/2020 3:22 PM
and then for generations the people that listened bring it like matt mike luke and the other
5/30/2020 3:25 PM
who themselves were not original playwrights but more like hangers on and hucksters

how to squeeze a buck out

to the end o time
5/30/2020 3:31 PM
You seem like a pessimist
5/31/2020 8:33 AM
i read my bible
6/4/2020 10:13 PM
I believe the way the simulation works (based on things I've seen in dev chats and the interviews I did with jconte and seble) is that the sim first decides which "route" will be run for each receiver, based on the very short, short, medium, long, very long (horizontal) percentages.

Then it chooses the distance for the first look based on the aggressiveness setting.

Then it chooses the receiver for the first look based on the vertical percentages.

Then it randomly throws it somewhere else :)
6/5/2020 9:09 AM
12 Next ▸
Screen Passes - What's Up with That? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.