Use Just One Formation? Topic

Greetings, interested in peoples' thoughts on using just one formation for offense and one for defense. I see posts about utilizing practice time better with just one. But do you get enough situational flexibility during games with just one? Do your players who don't get into the game (eg WR3/RB2/DB5) ever develop? Other pros and cons?
5/28/2020 10:36 PM
I think most people like the one formation because it helps practice time. Instead of allocating double minutes to formations it allows you to put more time into individual time. I think running fewer formations helps with recruiting. If you ran say Trips and NDB to provide a lot of flexibility... to have enough WR and RB/TE depth is going to take a lot of roster spots. That's not to said it cant be done in varying ways but having fewer formations helps recruit position needs more easily imo.

I ran 2 offense and 2 defendive formations for quite a while but dropped to 1. I feel like, as long as you have good formations within each formation set then you can still have a lot of flexibility.
5/28/2020 11:09 PM
good perspective...thanks!
5/28/2020 11:23 PM
I run one offense with my Wayne State team in Stagg, but two formations on D. The 3-4 and the 4-4 . I think the two work well together for pass protection and run stuffing. 14-15 minutes in each, 10 in special teams and your good to go .
5/29/2020 6:46 AM
I think the pros outnumber the cons in favor of having more than 1 formation. I strongly agree with hookem regarding having complimentary formations. For instance, combining SG and WB would be a disaster. I would stick with the +1/-1 rule of thumb. If one of your formations is pro set with 2 RB/2WR your other formation can have either 3 RB/1WR or 1 RB/3WR. You keep your roster integrity that way.
5/29/2020 7:01 AM
I like using 2 D formation; however, one formations with several sets is as good as two formations, IMO
5/29/2020 9:32 AM
No matter how you manipulate a 4-3 or 3-4, you still only have 4 DBs and 7 players in the box. The only way to change that is with another formation like Nickel or a 4-4.

5/29/2020 11:49 AM
Posted by realist9900 on 5/29/2020 11:49:00 AM (view original):
No matter how you manipulate a 4-3 or 3-4, you still only have 4 DBs and 7 players in the box. The only way to change that is with another formation like Nickel or a 4-4.

I play the 4-3 exclusively and send 1 OLB out in pass coverage. Seems to work just fine, as long as that linebacker has decent speed and GI.
5/29/2020 11:56 AM
Yes, 4-3 been working ok for me at wazzu. # 1 ranked defense in the league. 4-3,5-2,6-1,7-0. Always 7 men in the box and 4 DBs.
5/29/2020 3:16 PM
Use Just One Formation? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.