Anyone Win or Contend NC using only Nickel ? Topic

I've been using it exclusively now for a while . But I haven't won an NC in a while.
So wondered if it can be done ?
Would love to hear if anyone has done it ? Or even come close ?
And "Any" incite into the formation and it's use would be Greatly Appreciated.
I know I sound like a newby but am always happy to learn .
5/31/2020 9:56 AM
I think the key to defense in this game is GREAT linebackers ...thus to me nickle comes up short. I'm sure some mastermind out there way better than me could make it work
5/31/2020 10:31 AM
My only NC I used only Nickel on defense. Made it to the NC a second time with it as well.
5/31/2020 10:43 AM
Yes, but that isn't really proof that it works. It was Div2 and I had max vision. I don't know if it would hold up as your only defense if your talent wasn't better than everyone.
5/31/2020 4:22 PM
Posted by raginirish on 5/31/2020 10:31:00 AM (view original):
I think the key to defense in this game is GREAT linebackers ...thus to me nickle comes up short. I'm sure some mastermind out there way better than me could make it work
I agree. For awhile my offense was very pass-heavy. But lately I have discovereded a successful mixed run-pass offense that can exploit a Nickel defense. As I said in another thread, I run a 4-3 exclusively, and send one of my linebackers out in pass covereage most of the time. That seems to be a happy medium.
5/31/2020 4:56 PM
From a recruiting point of view, good LBs are cheaper to recruit than good DBs at every level. EVERYONE's fighting for the good DBs, and at DIA, LBs are about the only recruits you can find that are undecided.
That said, it could be done, but your matchups are going to be tough. You could probably do it if you had a high-scoring offense: your opponent would be able to run, but if you score enough points, they won't have enough time to run.
6/1/2020 11:45 AM
I have had some success using all Nickel for a lot of seasons. Used it to force some coaches to run at me when I expected it. I luckily guessed right more often than not.
6/1/2020 10:20 PM
So like I said, I haven't won NC with Nickel alone. But I have done pretty well with it.
One reason I haven't won NC is I keep jumping from team to team.
I like fast lb's and with only 2 lb's on field having good ones is more important than ever.
Every season I am recruiting db's. Doesn't matter if I can get the best, get good ones and let em grow. Tackling is more important now on your db's.
Vary the lb assignments depending on down and distance.
Blitz when it counts. Right now I'm into blitzing heavy. But I will vary it when it feels right.
When I've had good teams I have put the Kabosh on some other good teams pretty well.
I'm sticking with it and gonna make it work.
But would still appreciate your views and even more important to me any advice on running the Nickel that you have found worked well.
6/2/2020 12:07 PM
Posted by realist9900 on 5/31/2020 4:22:00 PM (view original):
Yes, but that isn't really proof that it works. It was Div2 and I had max vision. I don't know if it would hold up as your only defense if your talent wasn't better than everyone.
I remember you playing Dime at Grand Valley and won an NC.
6/2/2020 2:50 PM
And a good Dime was had by all . Thanks Lyonzfan. I forgot about that.
6/2/2020 10:24 PM
Posted by lyonzfan37 on 6/2/2020 2:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by realist9900 on 5/31/2020 4:22:00 PM (view original):
I remember you playing Dime at Grand Valley and won an NC.
I tried it as an experiment. Loaded up on the best DBs and red shirted one or two each year. I was disappointed with the results. There was no noticeable difference in completion % or YPC over other defenses I ran in the past. The only difference was teams could sure run on me.
6/3/2020 11:00 AM
Dime has only 3 DL's. Nickel has 4. That makes some difference on running game.
6/3/2020 1:22 PM
Posted by mojolad on 6/3/2020 1:22:00 PM (view original):
Dime has only 3 DL's. Nickel has 4. That makes some difference on running game.
yea I got run over hard with only 5 in the box ... which is how it should be.
6/3/2020 2:54 PM
Posted by scrodz on 6/1/2020 11:45:00 AM (view original):
From a recruiting point of view, good LBs are cheaper to recruit than good DBs at every level. EVERYONE's fighting for the good DBs, and at DIA, LBs are about the only recruits you can find that are undecided.
That said, it could be done, but your matchups are going to be tough. You could probably do it if you had a high-scoring offense: your opponent would be able to run, but if you score enough points, they won't have enough time to run.
This is a very good post, but one thing I will point out with DB's - if you know what to look for, you can find some lower role rated DB's that actually sim very well, and with good growth can become studs. Thus you can find some great DB's on the cheap. LB's can work the same way, as can WR's. It's all about what ratings to look for.
With that said, I don't doubt that it can be done.....pretty sure Rtrex beat us down in Bryant D2 with nickel only D to the tune of 11 or 12 or so straight titles. I could be wrong on the Nickel only D, but that is all I remember seeing....maybe due to me always passing.....lol. But it's all about the right players in the right spots depending on how you want the D to play against the O.
6/3/2020 5:46 PM
Posted by robust_trex on 6/1/2020 10:20:00 PM (view original):
I have had some success using all Nickel for a lot of seasons. Used it to force some coaches to run at me when I expected it. I luckily guessed right more often than not.
"Some success" and " luckily guessed right" ...........very humble post considering the beatings you put on us in Bryant for a number of seasons!!!!! Lol
6/3/2020 5:48 PM
12 Next ▸
Anyone Win or Contend NC using only Nickel ? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.