Round 1 Roster Selection Strategies, 2020 Topic

Never trust a music opinion from somebody with disco in their name.
6/10/2020 9:26 PM
I haven't written roster selection strategies for the past 2 years, but not because I'm keeping any insights or strategies to myself.

Last year I was just too busy with work.

This year I didn't have anything to add to the conversation, other than I still believe that deadball pitchers are the better option in the 90M theme. The modern pitching teams will make less errors but they'll give up more HR's. A bit of a wash, really. It really boils down to my opinion that, due to cost efficiencies, I'd rather have Cicotte, Bernhard and Ford starting against, say, Halladay, Keuchel, Carpenter and Kluber. I mean, if I could afford a premium Kershaw and Pedro at this cap, that would be a different story. However that's not really feasible, unless you want a crap offence.

The other thing I've noticed this year is quite a bit of parity. A lot the team stats for Batting Ave, OBP, WHIP, etc are pretty damn similar. So, LUCK will be a major factor. Things like number of extra inning games & resulting fatigue, strength of division/schedule, teams underperforming vs their pythag. win expectancy and just plain flip of the coin luck between evenly matched teams. I'm not a big believer that poor records in one run games are necessarily an indicator of bad luck; I'm not sure of the cause/effect relationship, but I've noticed that mediocre and bad teams generally have crappier records in one run games. Last year, I constantly cursed my bad luck in one run games, but at the end of the year I had to admit that my teams just weren't very good.
6/10/2020 10:00 PM
BTW, discodemo is short for disco demolition night, the famous baseball riot. I don't have any strong opinions for or against disco music.
6/10/2020 10:03 PM
Posted by discodemo on 6/10/2020 10:03:00 PM (view original):
BTW, discodemo is short for disco demolition night, the famous baseball riot. I don't have any strong opinions for or against disco music.
And we're all playing a lot of "Stayin' Alive" and "I Will Survive" here.
6/10/2020 10:49 PM
Posted by discodemo on 6/10/2020 10:00:00 PM (view original):
I haven't written roster selection strategies for the past 2 years, but not because I'm keeping any insights or strategies to myself.

This year I didn't have anything to add to the conversation, other than I still believe that deadball pitchers are the better option in the 90M theme. The modern pitching teams will make less errors but they'll give up more HR's. A bit of a wash, really. It really boils down to my opinion that, due to cost efficiencies, I'd rather have Cicotte, Bernhard and Ford starting against, say, Halladay, Keuchel, Carpenter and Kluber. I mean, if I could afford a premium Kershaw and Pedro at this cap, that would be a different story. However that's not really feasible, unless you want a crap offence.

The other thing I've noticed this year is quite a bit of parity. A lot the team stats for Batting Ave, OBP, WHIP, etc are pretty damn similar. So, LUCK will be a major factor. Things like number of extra inning games & resulting fatigue, strength of division/schedule, teams underperforming vs their pythag. win expectancy and just plain flip of the coin luck between evenly matched teams. I'm not a big believer that poor records in one run games are necessarily an indicator of bad luck; I'm not sure of the cause/effect relationship, but I've noticed that mediocre and bad teams generally have crappier records in one run games. Last year, I constantly cursed my bad luck in one run games, but at the end of the year I had to admit that my teams just weren't very good.

Speaking of 1 run games, I would like hear people's opinions of using "closers" I have not used one in years, and I'm not sure completely why.

But I have not noticed any adverse effects of that policy.
6/11/2020 11:32 AM (edited)
Posted by skinndogg on 6/11/2020 11:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by discodemo on 6/10/2020 10:00:00 PM (view original):

Speaking of 1 run games, I would like here people's opinions of using "closers" I have not used one in years, and I'm not sure completely why.

But I have not noticed any adverse effects of that policy.
I think using closers is difficult, at least when compared to how they work in the real world of MLB.

Because you designate what inning they can come in, and designate a pitch count based on IP/9, and whether to come in only for save situations, it's very hard to get sparky to use them exactly right. Many times they will hit their pitch count with 1 or 2 outs to go and sparky will plug in another reliever.

At least that's been my experience. Usually most of my pitching staff ends up with several saves.
6/11/2020 11:22 AM
I recently started using closers again after years of never using them.

In situations where the quality of your best RP is considerably higher than your average Setup A RP, it's useful. In situations where quality is relatively flat, it doesn't make a ton of sense.

The pitchcount issue that NebHusker mentions is a real thing though.
6/11/2020 11:41 AM
Posted by ozomatli on 6/11/2020 11:41:00 AM (view original):
I recently started using closers again after years of never using them.

In situations where the quality of your best RP is considerably higher than your average Setup A RP, it's useful. In situations where quality is relatively flat, it doesn't make a ton of sense.

The pitchcount issue that NebHusker mentions is a real thing though.
I am particularly likely to use one if the above is true about quality gap and he's got a lower IP total. If I can only get, say, 40 innings out of him, at least I know how they'll all be used.
6/11/2020 11:54 AM
there's also the fact that the most 'important' out situation might be in an inning other than 9th, so i typically avoid the closer setting

side note - wish there was a way to designate 'use my worst pitchers in extra innings'
6/11/2020 12:35 PM
I have never really used the closer setting since my initial forays into WiS. Granted I also usually do not have one RP that is heads and tails better than the other guys either
6/11/2020 12:47 PM
I'll agree with what seems to be the majority here; if I have a guy on the staff who is clearly better than my other RPs, and has the correct # of IP (usually < 50 or so) and has IP/G > 1 (preferably > 1.2) then I'll designate him as a closer. Otherwise I don't bother using the closer slot.
6/11/2020 12:48 PM
Another reason not to use a Closer. I don't want a Setup guy throwing 3 pitches then getting pulled for the Closer. Uses up more pitchers so there's fewer available for the following game.
6/11/2020 1:30 PM
Posted by sford on 6/11/2020 12:37:00 PM (view original):
there's also the fact that the most 'important' out situation might be in an inning other than 9th, so i typically avoid the closer setting

side note - wish there was a way to designate 'use my worst pitchers in extra innings'
That setting wouldn't be terribly helpful. I'm 0-3 in extra inning games in the $120M league already, and '98 Timlin lost all 3 of them.
6/11/2020 1:39 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 6/11/2020 1:40:00 PM (view original):

That setting wouldn't be terribly helpful. I'm 0-3 in extra inning games in the $120M league already, and '98 Timlin lost all 3 of them.
those hurt - but i'd rather lose in 10 than win in 14 and destroy my bullpen for the next 3 games

all about losing the battle but winning the war!
6/11/2020 1:44 PM
Posted by sford on 6/11/2020 1:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 6/11/2020 1:40:00 PM (view original):

those hurt - but i'd rather lose in 10 than win in 14 and destroy my bullpen for the next 3 games

all about losing the battle but winning the war!
tell me about it, I had a 17 inning win in the $140m league... I'd much rather have lost that in the 10th than deal with the rotation and bullpen shuffling I've had to juggle since... 100% it's cost me at least two wins since.
6/11/2020 3:03 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12 Next ▸
Round 1 Roster Selection Strategies, 2020 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.