WHAT IF i told you... Topic

Posted by longtallbrad on 6/13/2020 10:05:00 PM (view original):
Outstanding work, fellas. Working around the clock these days but I hope to contribute some substance before long. Is it just me, or is this site more fun than it was a few months ago?
Credit Fred Van Vleet.

No, seriously. I think the jazz discussion loosened us up and made us appreciate each other more.
6/14/2020 2:36 AM
I don’t want to quote you Ben and clog up the thread, but you really beautifully captured the history of WiS NBA community. Well done.
6/14/2020 2:46 AM
There needs to be an entire episode dedicated to our feud, the chase for the ring lead, and the founding of the TEPL.

I can't relive the 98 stuff.
6/14/2020 3:54 AM
Posted by robusk on 6/14/2020 2:46:00 AM (view original):
I don’t want to quote you Ben and clog up the thread, but you really beautifully captured the history of WiS NBA community. Well done.
time-line is a bit off in places, but yeah, great stuff.

I did give out too much info, but I justify it by saying this place would have got real boring real quick if I hadn't. Also, that old saying of you really learn something when you try to teach it rings true. I really refined a lot of things (which helped me out even further) by sharing what I had learned with everyone.

I have grown & changed so much over the (holy ****) 13 years I've been around here. I've had arguments and even feuds with so many owners here, but the only one that I don't think I'll ever get over is the 98 stuff. Even the TEPL headaches will pass. I'm not yet the man I want to be, but I'm still a work in progress, and for all of you blokes that share this weird hobby of ours, I want you to know that I appreciate you!
6/14/2020 4:04 AM
Some credit to me, but I’ve mostly pieced other people’s work together and added it in chronological order. Keep adding stuff and I’ll throw it all together!
6/14/2020 6:57 AM
does uvasooner need to be in one of the chapters
6/14/2020 7:03 AM
Posted by ashamael on 6/14/2020 4:04:00 AM (view original):
time-line is a bit off in places, but yeah, great stuff.

I did give out too much info, but I justify it by saying this place would have got real boring real quick if I hadn't. Also, that old saying of you really learn something when you try to teach it rings true. I really refined a lot of things (which helped me out even further) by sharing what I had learned with everyone.

I have grown & changed so much over the (holy ****) 13 years I've been around here. I've had arguments and even feuds with so many owners here, but the only one that I don't think I'll ever get over is the 98 stuff. Even the TEPL headaches will pass. I'm not yet the man I want to be, but I'm still a work in progress, and for all of you blokes that share this weird hobby of ours, I want you to know that I appreciate you!
I feel like our “feud” was intense but short lived and was mostly a product of the slashtc thing with some build up happening in FTM. A few people jumped on slash’s comments until they realized he was making stuff up left and right and threatening my wife on Facebook. Considering we are both competitive as all hell, I thought we fixed things way more maturely than was expected. Our rings race will be covered in both our episodes.

Your threads are awesome and really have helped the community so much. I refer people to them constantly.

You guys are going to have to fill me in on the TEPL drama. A few people have mentioned it. I assumed it would fit in nicely with the other progressives. Does it really need its own episode?
6/14/2020 7:06 AM
I don't know if uvasooner needs his own chapter, but he certainly is worthy of emphatic and reverent mention. He was the widely acknowledged master of draft leagues when I started dabbling in the theme stuff. I remember the first time I got a compliment from him (best starting five in a certain season of the ODL) was when I could be confident I was starting to figure out the game.

dman should have a chapter dedicated to him. He was/is a legend. He would swoop in briefly, absorb what had changed since he was last on the scene, win better than half of the leagues he entered, and then disappear into the night.

ncmusician also deserves some mention as one of the owners who really studied the sim systematically, won until he got bored of it, and then left behind threads of his learnings so others could benefit. I remember a little while after the big tectonic shift to advanced stats the overwhelmingly prevailing wisdom was that you couldn't win without a ton of 3PMs. I threw out an open challenge, offering money to the first owner who could document that they had won an open league with fewer than 150 3s. A number of seasoned owners went for it but ncmusician took home the prize.
6/14/2020 9:57 AM
Ah, the good old Troy Murphy days. I remember Dale Ellis being a god in the SIM when i started, too. I should have started more feuds with other owners so i could make it into the episodes somewhere. I mean I’ve only been here for like 15 years. Apparently i need a more distinctive online personality.

Was the 2012 update the one where they overhauled the salary system and made everyone more expensive? The one that led to people drafting like 17500 minutes in open leagues? I remember the ODL had a $42 million cap, just like open leagues, before the change. After the change, it only took 1-2 seasons for us to realize we had to bump the cap (it may have briefly gone to $45 million before $47 million. I think the last year at $42 million, some new-ish owner built some sort of ugly team around Elgin Baylor and other old dudes, was roundly teased, then proceeded to dominate the league. Don’t remember who it was, or even who the ODL commish was then.
6/14/2020 10:08 AM
I haven’t played a progressive in a while, but I’m pretty sure most of the ones i was in involved some joker drafting all the best players for the initial season, winning the title year one, then abandoning the team after that. Someone ran a “regressive” league, where we started with the most recent season (probably like 2009-10) and went backwards, and someone did that in the initial draft. Can’t remember who that ****** was.

I remember one progressive where I had Calvin Natt, TR Dunn (my ODL secret weapon!), Greg Ballard, and Moses Malone in the 80s? Another where I won some titles with guys including Karl Malone, Darrel Armstrong, Doug Christie, and Clarence Weatherspoon. Not sure if it was the same progressive or not. Heck, it may have been that regressive league.
6/14/2020 10:15 AM
OK the league where I had Moses et al was the History Double Progressive, run by the progressive king himself, zizzo24. Looks like robusk got into that league towards the end, which i didn’t remember. It was a 30-season progressive with prizes for the teams with the most overall wins at the end of the league. Looks like i barely held off slymonium to win. Had a quick start with the Moses group, then firecapt took over with a Jordan/Russell/Drexler team, then I had a Kemp/Payton/Pippen/Rodman group that rolled through the 90s.

Can’t find anything about that regressive league.

Found the ODL salary cap transition, between the 36th and 37th additions, in 2011. Appleseed1 was the guy in ODL 36 whose first two picks were Elgin Baylor and George Mikan; he won 54 games! (He didn’t win the league though.)
6/14/2020 10:48 AM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 6/14/2020 10:48:00 AM (view original):
OK the league where I had Moses et al was the History Double Progressive, run by the progressive king himself, zizzo24. Looks like robusk got into that league towards the end, which i didn’t remember. It was a 30-season progressive with prizes for the teams with the most overall wins at the end of the league. Looks like i barely held off slymonium to win. Had a quick start with the Moses group, then firecapt took over with a Jordan/Russell/Drexler team, then I had a Kemp/Payton/Pippen/Rodman group that rolled through the 90s.

Found the ODL salary cap transition, between the 36th and 37th additions, in 2011. Appleseed1 was the guy in ODL 36 whose first two picks were Elgin Baylor and George Mikan; he won 54 games! (He didn’t win the league though.)
Regressive league was also zizzo. Ash and I were also in it. I was in the double progressive for like 25 seasons or more I think. I had a rad Nash-Kobe-Unseld-BWallace team. I was still pretty green and while that team was good, I didn’t do as well as I should have.
6/14/2020 10:54 AM
Wasn't there a team of bird moses and peja that won a lot of open leagues.
6/14/2020 10:55 AM

http://zizzostats.com/
6/14/2020 11:02 AM

I won the ODL as badja after that salary change with Kobe, Glove, Dr J, Perdue and someone else. I knew ppl would still draft expensive guys they always used and run out of money and minutes! Many good owners sat that season out in protest I guess which also helped me:)
6/14/2020 11:05 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
WHAT IF i told you... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.