WHAT IF i told you... Topic

Posted by tarheel1991 on 6/14/2020 12:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by longtallbrad on 6/14/2020 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pointfwd on 6/14/2020 11:05:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tarheel1991 on 6/14/2020 10:48:00 AM (view original):
OK the league where I had Moses et al was the History Double Progressive, run by the progressive king himself, zizzo24. Looks like robusk got into that league towards the end, which i didn’t remember. It was a 30-season progressive with prizes for the teams with the most overall wins at the end of the league. Looks like i barely held off slymonium to win. Had a quick start with the Moses group, then firecapt took over with a Jordan/Russell/Drexler team, then I had a Kemp/Payton/Pippen/Rodman group that rolled through the 90s.

Can’t find anything about that regressive league.

Found the ODL salary cap transition, between the 36th and 37th additions, in 2011. Appleseed1 was the guy in ODL 36 whose first two picks were Elgin Baylor and George Mikan; he won 54 games! (He didn’t win the league though.)
I won the ODL as badja after that salary change with Kobe, Glove, Dr J, Perdue and someone else. I knew ppl would still draft expensive guys they always used and run out of money and minutes! Many good owners sat that season out in protest I guess which also helped me:)
You were badja?!? I can't keep track of everybody's aliases.
Yeah I didn’t know this either
Same. I have never changed names myself.
6/14/2020 12:59 PM
Yeah man! Thats my only alias tho! :)
6/14/2020 1:26 PM
I got here way back when due to an article in some national mag. Anyone know the one? Mayne even Simmons!
6/14/2020 1:46 PM (edited)
Posted by pointfwd on 6/14/2020 1:27:00 PM (view original):
I got here way back when die to an article in some national mag. Anyone know the one? Mayne even Simmons!
I played like 5 open leagues and a bunch of exhibitions with friends like 10+ years ago thanks to a Simmons article. Then forgot about the site for ~8 years and came back recently pretty much as a newbie. It was probably Simmons. I think it was ESPN the magazine.
6/14/2020 1:43 PM
Confirmed, Simmons and ESPN the Mag, but his mention was about baseball and the absurdity of elite closer Babe Adams if I recall...
I think that was probably 2004ish. I played some baseball and basketball then, but fizzled out and didn't return until 2009 or 2010 as mikee1. Old username forgotten and lost in the ether.
6/14/2020 2:56 PM
Please check out my new thread in the Sim League Basketball Forum. I think it's a suitable companion to this dignified conversation.
6/14/2020 4:07 PM

Cut to interview footage of a man wearing a 1980s style business suit, narrow tie, hair slicked back, sweat noticeable on his upper lip. He is smoking.

Chyron reads: "Nathan Thurm, head legal representative for WHAT IF SPORTS"

Thurm (mid sentence): “I know that, I know that, I’m their lawyer, of course I know that – why would you think I wouldn’t know that?” {puffs at cigarette}

6/14/2020 6:00 PM (edited)
Posted by robusk on 6/14/2020 11:02:00 AM (view original):
OK the league where I had Moses et al was the History Double Progressive, run by the progressive king himself, zizzo24. Looks like robusk got into that league towards the end, which i didn’t remember. It was a 30-season progressive with prizes for the teams with the most overall wins at the end of the league. Looks like i barely held off slymonium to win. Had a quick start with the Moses group, then firecapt took over with a Jordan/Russell/Drexler team, then I had a Kemp/Payton/Pippen/Rodman group that rolled through the 90s.

Found the ODL salary cap transition, between the 36th and 37th additions, in 2011. Appleseed1 was the guy in ODL 36 whose first two picks were Elgin Baylor and George Mikan; he won 54 games! (He didn’t win the league though.)
http://zizzostats.com/
yesssss...i thought this was lost to history

that regressive was my very first uh...progressive?..yea i think that counts

i took over the virginia squires in 92-93...couldnt move them to philly because therob30 was already there

i had d-rob already and went all in on his last two years by trading for ewing...ended up winning the championship in 89-90 with a 75-7 record...then i sold off ewing and went 1-81 the next season...i was pro process from the start! haha

thats still probably my favorite championship team...had to beat out sly and his mj/pippen/rodman 74 win team in my own division!...also had a 70 win barkley team from ash in my conference...ash and sly slugged it out in 7 before i beat ash 4-3 in the ecf...crazy season

but my favorite part about that team was 89-90 muggsy bogues - the a/t god...averaged 14.1 apg with a 7.88 a/to that season
6/14/2020 4:39 PM
Posted by longtallbrad on 6/14/2020 9:57:00 AM (view original):
I don't know if uvasooner needs his own chapter, but he certainly is worthy of emphatic and reverent mention. He was the widely acknowledged master of draft leagues when I started dabbling in the theme stuff. I remember the first time I got a compliment from him (best starting five in a certain season of the ODL) was when I could be confident I was starting to figure out the game.

dman should have a chapter dedicated to him. He was/is a legend. He would swoop in briefly, absorb what had changed since he was last on the scene, win better than half of the leagues he entered, and then disappear into the night.

ncmusician also deserves some mention as one of the owners who really studied the sim systematically, won until he got bored of it, and then left behind threads of his learnings so others could benefit. I remember a little while after the big tectonic shift to advanced stats the overwhelmingly prevailing wisdom was that you couldn't win without a ton of 3PMs. I threw out an open challenge, offering money to the first owner who could document that they had won an open league with fewer than 150 3s. A number of seasoned owners went for it but ncmusician took home the prize.
i remember that challenge ltb...that was my 3rd(and final) open league team...built a fun d-heavy team around 87-88 mj...did pretty well but lost in the playoffs to someone else doing the challenge(nc maybe?)...i remember there was quite a few of us doing that challenge in the league i was in
6/14/2020 4:45 PM
Posted by jhsukow on 6/14/2020 11:49:00 AM (view original):
I held onto Ray Allen when I had a very good offer to jump into a 1 year rebuild. I can’t remember what It was though.

funny how Ray Allen was the piece I moved for Ben Simmons in the TEPL this season.
thats pretty crazy...youve come full circle in your wis life haha
6/14/2020 4:47 PM
"dont be a p*ssy...wilt should always go 1st...42m is plenty" - probably me during odl 36/37 salary shift
6/14/2020 4:51 PM
that season was such a sh!tshow...completely forgot about appleseed1 and baylor/mikan...i was probably one of the owners ripping him haha
6/14/2020 4:52 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 6/14/2020 12:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by longtallbrad on 6/14/2020 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pointfwd on 6/14/2020 11:05:00 AM (view original):

I won the ODL as badja after that salary change with Kobe, Glove, Dr J, Perdue and someone else. I knew ppl would still draft expensive guys they always used and run out of money and minutes! Many good owners sat that season out in protest I guess which also helped me:)
You were badja?!? I can't keep track of everybody's aliases.
Yeah I didn’t know this either
I just shouted in my bathroom, “SO THAT’S WHO YOU ARE?!” I had wondered about where Badja went!
6/14/2020 5:24 PM
Omegax was the guy who drafted all short-term guys in the regressive then bailed after failing to win the title. Obviously never had any intention of sticking around. I feel like he pulled that crap in a couple leagues. Hope he's not an alias of anyone still around ;)
6/14/2020 9:24 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
WHAT IF i told you... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.