WHAT IF i told you... Topic

nice work ben - ps the 'is' was intentional as a kind of 'haz cheeseburger' vamp - I guess it didn't translate
6/14/2020 11:15 AM (edited)
also Nasimith and dizalvinsand (sp?) and tylerdurden were the OGs and would need pride of place somewhere in episode 1
6/14/2020 11:18 AM
Posted by robusk on 6/14/2020 11:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tarheel1991 on 6/14/2020 10:48:00 AM (view original):
OK the league where I had Moses et al was the History Double Progressive, run by the progressive king himself, zizzo24. Looks like robusk got into that league towards the end, which i didn’t remember. It was a 30-season progressive with prizes for the teams with the most overall wins at the end of the league. Looks like i barely held off slymonium to win. Had a quick start with the Moses group, then firecapt took over with a Jordan/Russell/Drexler team, then I had a Kemp/Payton/Pippen/Rodman group that rolled through the 90s.

Can’t find anything about that regressive league.

Found the ODL salary cap transition, between the 36th and 37th additions, in 2011. Appleseed1 was the guy in ODL 36 whose first two picks were Elgin Baylor and George Mikan; he won 54 games! (He didn’t win the league though.)
http://zizzostats.com/
Good find on the regressive league! That was my Malone/Weatherspoon/etc team. I had forgotten this, but i made the finals six straight years and only won one of them??? What a choker. I had 70 and 74 win teams that didn’t win titles. Then followed that run of six straight finals with 64 and 72 win teams that couldn’t make it past the second round. Then i never made it past the second round again. Sheesh.
6/14/2020 11:20 AM
Been here since 2006 or so. Theres no way to compare wis before and since Ash got here. He pulled back the curtain.
At one point he won like 6 /10 ODLs he entered?

I also recall seble actually showing up in the threads sometimes lol.

The scudmissle china esl connection needs a chapter also.
6/14/2020 11:24 AM
Posted by robusk on 6/14/2020 11:02:00 AM (view original):
OK the league where I had Moses et al was the History Double Progressive, run by the progressive king himself, zizzo24. Looks like robusk got into that league towards the end, which i didn’t remember. It was a 30-season progressive with prizes for the teams with the most overall wins at the end of the league. Looks like i barely held off slymonium to win. Had a quick start with the Moses group, then firecapt took over with a Jordan/Russell/Drexler team, then I had a Kemp/Payton/Pippen/Rodman group that rolled through the 90s.

Found the ODL salary cap transition, between the 36th and 37th additions, in 2011. Appleseed1 was the guy in ODL 36 whose first two picks were Elgin Baylor and George Mikan; he won 54 games! (He didn’t win the league though.)
http://zizzostats.com/
Wow! I have never seen this. I left a championship on the table in that league
6/14/2020 11:35 AM
I held onto Ray Allen when I had a very good offer to jump into a 1 year rebuild. I can’t remember what It was though.

funny how Ray Allen was the piece I moved for Ben Simmons in the TEPL this season.
6/14/2020 11:49 AM
Posted by longtallbrad on 6/14/2020 9:57:00 AM (view original):
I don't know if uvasooner needs his own chapter, but he certainly is worthy of emphatic and reverent mention. He was the widely acknowledged master of draft leagues when I started dabbling in the theme stuff. I remember the first time I got a compliment from him (best starting five in a certain season of the ODL) was when I could be confident I was starting to figure out the game.

dman should have a chapter dedicated to him. He was/is a legend. He would swoop in briefly, absorb what had changed since he was last on the scene, win better than half of the leagues he entered, and then disappear into the night.

ncmusician also deserves some mention as one of the owners who really studied the sim systematically, won until he got bored of it, and then left behind threads of his learnings so others could benefit. I remember a little while after the big tectonic shift to advanced stats the overwhelmingly prevailing wisdom was that you couldn't win without a ton of 3PMs. I threw out an open challenge, offering money to the first owner who could document that they had won an open league with fewer than 150 3s. A number of seasoned owners went for it but ncmusician took home the prize.
Definitely dropped the ball on ncmusician, he is in there now a couple times. Don't remember uvasooner much except for his banned leagues and don't remember dman at all. I'll add them though!
6/14/2020 11:51 AM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 6/14/2020 10:08:00 AM (view original):
Ah, the good old Troy Murphy days. I remember Dale Ellis being a god in the SIM when i started, too. I should have started more feuds with other owners so i could make it into the episodes somewhere. I mean I’ve only been here for like 15 years. Apparently i need a more distinctive online personality.

Was the 2012 update the one where they overhauled the salary system and made everyone more expensive? The one that led to people drafting like 17500 minutes in open leagues? I remember the ODL had a $42 million cap, just like open leagues, before the change. After the change, it only took 1-2 seasons for us to realize we had to bump the cap (it may have briefly gone to $45 million before $47 million. I think the last year at $42 million, some new-ish owner built some sort of ugly team around Elgin Baylor and other old dudes, was roundly teased, then proceeded to dominate the league. Don’t remember who it was, or even who the ODL commish was then.
tarheel1991, I have you in the ODL section as well as the Other theme league chapter. You'll get a couple talking heads for sure!!!
6/14/2020 11:53 AM
Posted by copernicus on 6/14/2020 11:15:00 AM (view original):
nice work ben - ps the 'is' was intentional as a kind of 'haz cheeseburger' vamp - I guess it didn't translate
All written sarcasm and such is lost on me. Sorry! Added the guys you mentioned to Episode 1.
6/14/2020 11:54 AM
I need some more talking heads or soundbites. Get your creative juices flowing! What you got for me?
6/14/2020 11:56 AM
scene (camera on Kobe, rip): no one drafted me? no one!? {shakes head in disbelief, waves hand in front of face} What!?
6/14/2020 11:59 AM
episode 2: (Figure in backlight, details blocked/face pixelized-voice distorted by tech etc): "everyone knew it was satire, absolutely everyone. it wasn't even complicated, it was just the opposite of all the things you actually wanted to do. it would have been clear to anyone. I mean, unless you were a complete f-BLEEP-ing a-BLEEP-le..."

{cut to: paparazzo style footage of Scott getting out of a 1998 Ford Explorer and refusing to talk to the reporter on his way into the building }
6/14/2020 1:01 PM (edited)
Posted by pointfwd on 6/14/2020 11:05:00 AM (view original):

I won the ODL as badja after that salary change with Kobe, Glove, Dr J, Perdue and someone else. I knew ppl would still draft expensive guys they always used and run out of money and minutes! Many good owners sat that season out in protest I guess which also helped me:)
You were badja?!? I can't keep track of everybody's aliases.
6/14/2020 12:41 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 6/14/2020 11:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by longtallbrad on 6/14/2020 9:57:00 AM (view original):
I don't know if uvasooner needs his own chapter, but he certainly is worthy of emphatic and reverent mention. He was the widely acknowledged master of draft leagues when I started dabbling in the theme stuff. I remember the first time I got a compliment from him (best starting five in a certain season of the ODL) was when I could be confident I was starting to figure out the game.

dman should have a chapter dedicated to him. He was/is a legend. He would swoop in briefly, absorb what had changed since he was last on the scene, win better than half of the leagues he entered, and then disappear into the night.

ncmusician also deserves some mention as one of the owners who really studied the sim systematically, won until he got bored of it, and then left behind threads of his learnings so others could benefit. I remember a little while after the big tectonic shift to advanced stats the overwhelmingly prevailing wisdom was that you couldn't win without a ton of 3PMs. I threw out an open challenge, offering money to the first owner who could document that they had won an open league with fewer than 150 3s. A number of seasoned owners went for it but ncmusician took home the prize.
Definitely dropped the ball on ncmusician, he is in there now a couple times. Don't remember uvasooner much except for his banned leagues and don't remember dman at all. I'll add them though!
I'm not sure dman has been around since you arrived at the site. But check out his winning percentage (in the records of championships). He was the real thing.
6/14/2020 12:44 PM
Posted by longtallbrad on 6/14/2020 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pointfwd on 6/14/2020 11:05:00 AM (view original):

I won the ODL as badja after that salary change with Kobe, Glove, Dr J, Perdue and someone else. I knew ppl would still draft expensive guys they always used and run out of money and minutes! Many good owners sat that season out in protest I guess which also helped me:)
You were badja?!? I can't keep track of everybody's aliases.
Yeah I didn’t know this either
6/14/2020 12:57 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
WHAT IF i told you... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.