The iconic food brands

Bout time!
6/17/2020 2:04 PM
DOWN WITH FAMOUS AMOS!
6/17/2020 2:07 PM
JUNGALOW MUST GO!
6/17/2020 2:12 PM
6/18/2020 7:07 AM
They can mess with Aunt Jemima all they want................as long as they don't do anything more to Mrs. Butterworth.
They already "modified" her face............I sure don't want them ruining things when I turn the bottle up and pour out that thick delicious syrup.

Does anybody remember "Sambo's"?

Particularly their logo. "Sambo's" WAS a chain breakfast type restaurant (kinda like Waffle House) with a logo JUST as you'd expect.
Big signboards with this pic of a "nappy" haired "buckwheat type" character as the logo.
Even as a kid I always wondered how it was that folks didn't freak out about it.
Sambo's in my home town was ALWAYS packed and jammin the hour or two after the bars closed at night! (2AM).
6/18/2020 9:02 AM
Posted by bronxcheer on 6/18/2020 7:07:00 AM (view original):
First post of yours I've approved of :)
6/19/2020 5:17 AM
Seriously, if you're just going to disapprove of everything, why don't you crawl back to your thought bubble? Exposing yourself to alternative points of view is only valuable if you're listening.
6/19/2020 3:19 PM
6/22/2020 6:57 PM

The Uncle Ben's rice brand is getting a new name: Ben's Original.

Parent firm Mars Inc. unveiled the change Wednesday for the 70-year-old brand, the latest company to drop a logo criticized as a racial stereotype. Packaging with the new name will hit stores next year.

“We listened to our associates and our customers and the time is right to make meaningful changes across society,” said Fiona Dawson, global president for Mars Food, multisales and global customers. “When you are making these changes, you are not going to please everyone. But it's about doing the right thing, not the easy thing.”

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Several companies have retired racial imagery from their branding in recent months, a ripple effect from the Black Lives Matters protests over the police killing of George Floyd and other African Americans.

Quaker Oats announced in June that it would drop Aunt Jemima from syrup and pancake packages, responding to criticism that the character's origins were based the “mammy,” a black woman content to serve her white masters. Quaker said packages without the Aunt Jemima image will start to appear in stores by the end of the year, although the company has not revealed the new logo.

The owner of Eskimo Pie has also said it will change its name and marketing of the nearly century-old chocolate-covered ice cream bar. Beyond food brands, the Washington NFL franchise dropped the “Redskins” name and Indian head logo amid pressure from sponsors including FedEx, Nike, Pepsi and Bank of America.

Geechie Boy Mill, a family-owned operation in South Carolina that makes locally-grown and milled white grits, is also planning a name change. Geechie is a dialect spoken mainly by the descendants of African-American slaves who settled on the Ogeechee river in Georgia, according to Merriam-Webster.com.

“We are in the process of changing our name and have developed a whole new brand. We look forward to sharing it with the public,” said Greg Johnsman, owner of Geechie Boy Mill.

9/23/2020 12:05 PM
Uncle Tom and antebellum
9/23/2020 12:53 PM
Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.