DDL 26 (Decade Draft League)--DONE Topic

Posted by amerk1180 on 7/8/2020 11:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jpevans31 on 7/8/2020 8:31:00 PM (view original):
I've been on a MST3k and Rifftrax binge lately, so I'll use one of their 70s classics, Death Promise. (It looks and sounds 70s, but with Rifftrax it might be from 1997 and seem 1977).
Dude I LOVED Mystery Science Theatre 2000!!! Absolutely true story about how I discovered it on Comedy Central....

I was cheering for my Bulls in the 89-90 Eastern Conference finals against the "Bad Boy" Pistons. Game seven. 2nd half. The Pistons started pulling away from the Bulls and I got so disgusted, I just started flipping thru channels on my cable system. I stumbled across this weird thing with the outlines of three "creatures?" sitting in front of the screen with a human in the middle, and I was like "what the hell is THIS???" I was totally hooked by the end of the Bulls game seven loss. Started watching it EVERY weeek after that, either live or taping it on my VCR (Video cassette recorder for you millenials lol)

What is Riffraxx? Is it like Hulu? Is it a paid service? I had downloaded many MST3K episodes onto an external hard drive that is packed away in a box somewhere in storage that I haven't found since I moved out of my ex-wife's place over a year ago. I'd LOVE to catch up and watch those again, which I watch for the funny commentary and NOT for the movies lol. What can you tell me about RiffRaxx?
I've been a big MST3K fan since the mid-90s, just found out about Rifftrax a couple weeks ago. It's the pretty much the same deal as MST3K, but no SoL or robots, no side-stories. It has Mike Nelson, Kevin (Tom Servo/Prof Bobo), Bill (the S8-S10 Crow/Brain Guy((my personal favorite Crow))), Mike's RL wife (she played small parts in a lot of MST3K eps), Amy Jo (I think that's her name, she was Pearl), a few other people, some celebrity guests. It started in 2007, from what I can tell. You can find a whole bunch of "best of" clips on YT. If you want full movies, (they also do a lot of those 50s-80s PSAs), I think you have to order DVDs or download from their site. I've been debating buying a few movies straight from the site. I think they keep it all going thru DVD/download sales and donations, and live shows. They're still putting out new stuff this year. It's great. The PSAs, old cheesy flicks, some newer blockbusters. If you liked MST3K, it's the same quality, and they can get away with a little more. They re-did some MST3K classics, like Final Justice and Time Chasers, and all-time crap like Samurai Cop and The Room.

These YouTube channels have a bunch of stuff, just look under their playlists for Rifftrax lists: Loran Alan Davis, Commander Kalgan, wiley schmitt, and Mondo Connie. There are more, but these will four take you a little while to go thru.
7/9/2020 12:22 AM (edited)
Thanks JP, I'll check it out....thanks for the reply! I'm stoked! Mike and Joel were BOTH hilarious! Trace Beulieu WAS great as Crow!
7/9/2020 12:28 AM
Posted by amerk1180 on 7/9/2020 12:28:00 AM (view original):
Thanks JP, I'll check it out....thanks for the reply! I'm stoked! Mike and Joel were BOTH hilarious! Trace Beulieu WAS great as Crow!
They do a bunch of live shows, and they've had Trace and Joel, among many others, join them on stage. Weird Al, Kristen Schall, Joel McHale (not live, in the studio for the 80s Red Dawn), TV's Frank, and a bunch of comic actors/comedians.
But it's mostly Mike, Bill and Kevin.
And it's no problem. You know how you enjoy some things so much, that you're happy to introduce people to it? MST3K/ Rifftrax is like that for me. I hope some other people reading this thread check it out. ******* hilarious stuff, no matter what else I've got going on, always gets me to laugh.
Edit: Trace was a great Crow, very funny dude. No knock at all against him, Bill was just the funniest MST3K guy to me. They're all great at what they do.
7/9/2020 12:42 AM (edited)
Sometimes, it is hard for me to watch bad movies WITHOUT doing my own MST3K commentary. Sometimes, even by myself lol. There are so many lines they have said that made me laugh out loud, and sometimes, laughed so hard, I nearly cried. It's not for everyone, but for those who give it 10-15 minutes chance and have that kind of sense of humor, you will know if you like it or not. Like I said, it was the best part of a terrible game seven loss for my favorite team. Really took the edge off my sadness.
7/9/2020 2:24 AM
Earl Tatum
Wayne Hightower
7/9/2020 4:20 AM
Mike Glenn
greg Smith
7/9/2020 5:33 AM
Posted by jpevans31 on 7/9/2020 12:42:00 AM (view original):
They do a bunch of live shows, and they've had Trace and Joel, among many others, join them on stage. Weird Al, Kristen Schall, Joel McHale (not live, in the studio for the 80s Red Dawn), TV's Frank, and a bunch of comic actors/comedians.
And it's no problem. You know how you enjoy some things so much, that you're happy to introduce people to it? MST3K/ Rifftrax is like that for me. I hope some other people reading this thread check it out. ******* hilarious stuff, no matter what else I've got going on, always gets me to laugh.
Edit: Trace was a great Crow, very funny dude. No knock at all against him, Bill was just the funniest MST3K guy to me. They're all great at what they do.
I used to like MST a lot, never heard of rifftrax - I’ll check it out, thanks
7/9/2020 8:07 AM
My re-pick is Ron Franz
7/9/2020 9:09 AM
Posted by dBKC on 7/9/2020 8:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jpevans31 on 7/9/2020 12:42:00 AM (view original):
I used to like MST a lot, never heard of rifftrax - I’ll check it out, thanks
Cool, dBKC. I hope you check it out. If you liked MST, you'll like Rifftrax. Lots of cheesy flicks, like Death Promise and Samurai Cop, and I really dig all of their Harry Potter/ Twilight riffing. They rip on a lot of big-name movies, kind of surprised they got the rights to stuff like Avengers/Thor/The Dark Knight.
7/9/2020 12:59 PM
Billy McKinney to replace Terry Furlow for my 10th round pick.
7/10/2020 6:54 AM
Posted by cmcafeeky on 7/8/2020 2:57:00 PM (view original):
cmcafeeky 2
253. Bobby Washington

254. Paul Long
254 repick
Jim O'Brien....SF Memphis SOunds

joining our back up point guard
JIMMY O'brien

IM not sure those two have EVER been on the same team in the history of WIS....

bet we gonna have a GREAT PARTY Saint Patricks day....
& Guineas is well stocked on our team plane

(I'm hopeful SOMEONE will find these comments 'borderline racist')
7/11/2020 10:22 AM
◂ Prev 1...29|30|31
DDL 26 (Decade Draft League)--DONE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.