Ballpark advice Topic

I've been reading up on the threads I've found from searching through the forums trying to learn more about picking ballparks. Still a bit confused though. I've finished a draft of my latest open league team (80 mil) and after running some numbers my pitchers (ignoring the 200K guys I'll throw down to AAA) combine for 6.37 HR/100#. My lineup combines for 172 1B/100#; 41 2B/100#; 5 3B/100#; 15 HR/100# and 97 BB/100#.

Would a place like Fenway make sense for a team like this? Fenway is HR LF/RF:1/0 1B:2 2B:4 3B:0. (I'll note here that most of my batters are switch hitters so I'm not right or lefty heavy). Should I be trying to artificially inflate my lack of power by having a + homer park since I hit so few but my pitchers seem pretty good at preventing them? Do I hit enough doubles that I should be looking for a + doubles park like this, or is 41 doubles per 100AB not all that interesting? Do I need to be considering defensive range too because I haven't even thought about it in the park context.

Any thoughts or advice would be great, just trying to get as much knowledge as I can before diving in to my second team.
6/26/2020 8:12 AM
The normalized numbers are you adding up all your hitters and pitchers I assume?

I don't have a great sense of how those numbers translate, but at first glance I don't see anything obvious jumping out at me. It appears you have a dead ball pitching staff so your home runs allowed aren't going to be influenced much one way or the other depending on ballpark.

A key detail you left out is the number of innings for your pitchers and plate appearances for your hitters. If you're low on those, you definitely want a pitcher's park of some kind to help limit fatigue.

6/26/2020 8:41 AM
Posted by 06gsp on 6/26/2020 8:41:00 AM (view original):
The normalized numbers are you adding up all your hitters and pitchers I assume?

I don't have a great sense of how those numbers translate, but at first glance I don't see anything obvious jumping out at me. It appears you have a dead ball pitching staff so your home runs allowed aren't going to be influenced much one way or the other depending on ballpark.

A key detail you left out is the number of innings for your pitchers and plate appearances for your hitters. If you're low on those, you definitely want a pitcher's park of some kind to help limit fatigue.

ah gotcha, I didn't realize it was a key detail. My pitchers have 1264 IP and in terms of PA I have 4717 in my top 8 players (I didn't add up PA or IP for the 8 200K players I'm dumping to AAA or PA for my pitchers).
6/26/2020 9:05 AM
ok, in that case I would definitely recommend a pitchers park. if you go in a hitters park like Fenway you'll be pushing the limit on pitching fatigue and it takes some hands-on experience to learn how to manage a staff. something like Riverfront Stadium (-2 singles, +2 doubles) if you want to accentuate doubles, or you could go really conservative with Safeco or Petco to just reduce overall fatigue.

6/26/2020 9:18 AM
Posted by 06gsp on 6/26/2020 9:18:00 AM (view original):
ok, in that case I would definitely recommend a pitchers park. if you go in a hitters park like Fenway you'll be pushing the limit on pitching fatigue and it takes some hands-on experience to learn how to manage a staff. something like Riverfront Stadium (-2 singles, +2 doubles) if you want to accentuate doubles, or you could go really conservative with Safeco or Petco to just reduce overall fatigue.

Thank you!
6/26/2020 9:21 AM
No, pick a HR park when you expect to hit more HR than you give up. Don't try to make up for anything you're just helping your opponent more than yourself. Fenway is slightly biased toward LF so you want a fair number of your HR from Righties. Fenway's biggest advantage is +4 for doubles so if you use that park emphasize doubles. And +2 for singles requires more stamina so don't use if stamina will be an issue.
6/27/2020 12:01 PM
Use the Grizzly recommended Riverfront until you better understand, through experience.
6/29/2020 3:20 AM
Posted by grizzly_one on 6/29/2020 3:20:00 AM (view original):
Use the Grizzly recommended Riverfront until you better understand, through experience.
Yeah I changed up my team a bit to add more offense but I still want to use riverfront. Need to learn more about innings and fatigue and how it’s effected by your park. Not sure where the cut offs are where you want to help your staff vs playing at a hitters park
6/29/2020 6:59 PM
Ballpark advice Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.