Question for House Democrats Topic

The territory currently making up the District of Columbia was ceded to the Federal government by the state of Maryland because leadership at the time believed it was important to have a capital not within the boundaries of any state. I can see why we might no longer value that, as states have become less independent and it's hard to envision any state government feeling overly disadvantaged relative to any other by lack of possession of the capital.

But if you no longer feel the need for an independent DC, why wouldn't you cede the land back to Maryland? When the Federal government felt that it no longer needed Alexandria, Alexandria didn't become a state. It was given back to Virginia.

Does feel like an obvious power play to try to win some guaranteed Senate seats.
6/27/2020 2:54 PM
I'm not as knowledgeable as I should be about this so take this as such:

But, IMO, the folks that LIVE within the territorial boundaries of D.C. should NOT have their citizenship rights abridged in ANY manner!
That's first for me.
If they are at present in that position it needs fixed. Full stop.

However, it would be serious folly to award full Statehood to D.C. as is. It would be a completely unfair situation as compared to every other State.
D.C. should have appropriate proportional Representation in the House of Reps. (I think they already do! Like Guam, or Puerto Rico, etc) but NOT Senators.

HOW you affect that and still give full citizenship to the residents of D.C. I don't really know.
Above my pay grade, too.

6/27/2020 3:13 PM
I love how republicans are like “we wouldn’t even bother moving left a little bit to try and get DC.”

Also they’d still have the majority if there was 2 more democrats in the senate.
6/27/2020 3:40 PM
That's a reasonable proposal, Dahs. I can't really think of an argument against it, but I might have to get more info on what DC people want to determine whether it's the best solution.

It's certainly a better solution than nothing, which seems to be the Republican proposal.
6/27/2020 3:44 PM
Nothing is the republican perma proposal.
6/27/2020 3:49 PM
Make D.C, Puerto Rico, and Long Island States

Give that shithole of Texas back to Mexico in repayment for the big, beautiful Wall
6/27/2020 4:37 PM
Throw in Oklahoma IF they promise to "house" Trump post election in one of them beautiful "federal" prisons----------their choice of location.
We'll call it even for not paying for his wall.
6/27/2020 5:11 PM
Posted by tangplay on 6/27/2020 3:44:00 PM (view original):
That's a reasonable proposal, Dahs. I can't really think of an argument against it, but I might have to get more info on what DC people want to determine whether it's the best solution.

It's certainly a better solution than nothing, which seems to be the Republican proposal.
There hasn't been any particular push for representation beyond the usual lately. It's political grandstanding. Because let's be honest, the Democratic "proposal" is also nothing. They clearly knew Republicans weren't going to go for "make DC the 51st state." Even integrating DC into Maryland is a clear political loss for Republicans. Right now Maryland is similar to the other mid-Atlantic states - solidly blue, but very moderate. Which is how a .moderate and charismatic Republican like Hogan has become a multi-term governor. I don't think Hogan ever gets elected in a Maryland that includes DC. But at least bringing up a proposal to integrate DC into Maryland wouldn't necessarily be a non-starter for Republicans. The obvious goal was to have this shot down and then get to point to Republicans and say they want to disenfranchise the residents of DC. It's not random chance that this came up several months before a major election.
6/27/2020 5:22 PM
I don't disagree. Near everything that happens in Congress is a political stunt.
6/27/2020 5:24 PM
Question for House Democrats Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.