Rod Carew and the Minneapolis police Topic

From an article in today's New York Times:

"

When I helped Carew write his autobiography, “Carew,” which was published in 1979, he told me then, “I’ve also been hassled by white cops when they’ve seen me driving a nice car,” adding, “They think you’ve got to be a pimp.” He recalled one particular instance which he told me was a specific that characterized the general.

Carew hit .333 in 1978, above, a year after hitting .388.Credit...Associated Press

“After a Twins game in Met Stadium” — or Metropolitan Stadium, the former ballpark in Bloomington, Minn. — “a few years ago, I’m driving down 35W near my home and going 50 in a 55-mile zone. Two cops in a squad car pull me over. ‘You know the speed limit, boy? You think you’re going to be burning up the road with this fancy car you’re driving?’

“They asked for my driver’s license. My first instinct was to tell them that I’ve got my license in my pocket and if they want to take it out. Among Blacks, white policemen have a reputation that as soon as you go into your pocket, they think you’re going to pull out a gun. They could jump me and pull out their guns and it’s all over.

“I told them my doubts. One cop said, ‘Do it slowly.’ When he saw my name, he starts shaking his head and says, ‘Well, Rod, you’re nuts for going over the speed limit.’ I said: ‘I know I wasn’t going over the speed limit. I knew you guys were behind me. And I knew you were going to stop me.’” It ended without further incident. “I’m Rod Carew, but the bottom line is I’m still Black.”"

7/1/2020 4:19 AM (edited)
I read that yesterday. Found the article because my 12 year old son, who's really getting into baseball history now, asked me "Is Rod Carew still alive?" and I wasn't sure, and this article came up when I Googled Carew.

Here's a link. Sad and frustrating, but worth reading.
7/1/2020 4:42 AM
Love Rod Carew - my Rod Carew titled team just made a WS series this morning... probably my first favorite player that wasn't on the Red Sox.

Started collecting baseball cards in 1977 ('76 season), and he had a cool looking Topps Card, went on to hit .388 and win MVP. Just shameful what he and so many others have to go through - you'd think hitting it big would make a difference for him, but it didn't matter.

7/1/2020 4:33 PM
I used to bartend at a country club, and one of the members was Dontrelle Willis. He's a loud, hilarious guy and we had a lot of good conversations while he drank Jack Honey and lemonade.

He told he his running number was between 10-15 on the times he was pulled over in his Rolls Royce. His words: "Theyre out there thinking, "ah **** that's a nice car!! What! Why the hell is a black man driving it!! Let's go find out what's wrong."
7/2/2020 11:10 AM
One of my absolute all time faves.

So sad.

Thanks for that Prof.
7/2/2020 11:55 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
until you need em

the neighborhood watch and the PTA aint what you need when you need

what i need is for the dumb redneck gun loving f*ckers with the license to kill to take the loss on the day they cant catch up to the perp

someone gets away and runs off DO NOT SHOOT EM IN THE BACK

get em some other day

be like a tax bill. wait patiently til payback or death

i know you gotta go back to the justice mill and mansplain in the locker room how some sleazy c*nt got away

breaks of the game. wins and losses. take your black eye. do not shoot
7/3/2020 4:38 PM
Straw man after straw man Creeper. It doesn't make for a good argument.
7/3/2020 6:50 PM
“If a drunk driver is passed out in a drive through, wake him up buy him a sandwich”

I mean honestly, that sounds like a pretty good practice. :)
7/4/2020 1:25 AM
C23, I wasnt looking for a judge it was simply my opinion. I think we all agree police brutality and discrimination should never be tolerated. My response was related to the notion that someone shouldn't get killed over a meaningless crime and that if they flee....just let them go. That isn't a realistic solution in many cases.

Using the ATL guy as an example. He was passed out drunk in his car (drinking/driving IS a serious and dangerous crime). The cops didnt profile him, they woke him up, they spoke with him, they joked with him, they conducted/he failed a sobriety test, he resisted arrest, he assaulted a police officer, he stole the taser, he ran away, he pointed the taser at them... the argument many made was that they should have just took his keys and let him walk home, or that he wasnt hurting anyone being passed out...". He is not dead because of the D/D crime, he is dead because of all the other bad decisions/actions HE did AFTER committing the first serious crime. That is a strawman argument in reverse.

Also, it is not a strawman argument if you follow the ongoing debate that many states are dealing with regarding cops not pursuing anyone for speeding or wreckless driving due to the chances of an innocent person getting hurt. If someone is driving 90 mph in a 70 zone and swerving...should they not pursue ever? Many would say no, just get his license plate. Tell that to any family who has lost someone in an accident like that, it is not a strawman to them.

So the root of the debate...what behavior is dangerous "enough" to warrant use of force or pursuit? NO one has the perfect answer therefore police in the "heat of battle" just like soldiers have been empowered to make decisions . Its tough to be perfect 100% in that scenario. When they make a really wrong decision (as determined by court of law), then they need to be punished. I have many friends/relatives who are cops and know some real bad ones but this whole debate is stupid. If YOU commit a crime and know that if you just evade the cops by running/driving away more will be encouraged to do it and conviction rates will go down, meaning crime rates go up higher.....all of us are less safe because we are trying to blame cops for outcomes caused by criminals.

Nothing personal, but we happen to disagree on this I guess.

7/6/2020 3:11 PM
Rod Carew and the Minneapolis police Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.