Question about perimeter Topic

Posted by topdogggbm on 7/10/2020 8:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mlitney on 7/9/2020 6:19:00 PM (view original):
It really depends which level of D1 you're talking about. My D- prestige school works very similar to a D2 team, except that I can sign sooner. Mid-level D1 recruiting (C- to B+) can be pretty crazy. You really need to balance the aggressive and passive approaches. A+ teams can still show up late to knock you off. I think it's probably the most fun/difficult recruiting but also the most rewarding.
This is pretty accurate. I also agree where benis mentioned that D1 recruiting is working as intended. It's just not fun for me.

I guess the opinions all matter from perspective. As a D2 coach, the term recruiting to me is ACTUALLY recruiting. Reaching out to DOZENS of players, losing some, testing waters, "the chase". That is the fun part. So from MY perspective, D1 isn't "recruiting". It's "picking". Find a guy and put your AP on him and wait.

But a D1 coach isn't used to having that amount of "work" as gil said. If you're trying to win a battle at D1, you're leaving your AP there until something happens with that recruit. With 3 openings you might have only 5 guys unlocked. So to drop to D2, these same coaches are having to unlock 15 players instead of 5. And that's why the term "work" comes out.

again, it's just personal preference
I would add that recruiting at a small D1 school is much different than recruiting at a big D1 school. You don't really get those distinctive lines within the division in D2 or D3.

I think low D1 is much like you're mentioning here with unlocking several players and having backup options. However, one major difference is that since D1 players do sign in the 1st session, you're not going to just pile hundreds and hundreds of APs on a guy who is an early signer like you would when going for a d1 guy at D2/D3.
7/10/2020 10:09 AM
It really depends which level of D1 you're talking about. My D- prestige school works very similar to a D2 team, except that I can sign sooner. Mid-level D1 recruiting (C- to B+) can be pretty crazy. You really need to balance the aggressive and passive approaches. A+ teams can still show up late to knock you off. I think it's probably the most fun/difficult recruiting but also the most rewarding.
This is pretty accurate. I also agree where benis mentioned that D1 recruiting is working as intended. It's just not fun for me.

I guess the opinions all matter from perspective. As a D2 coach, the term recruiting to me is ACTUALLY recruiting. Reaching out to DOZENS of players, losing some, testing waters, "the chase". That is the fun part. So from MY perspective, D1 isn't "recruiting". It's "picking". Find a guy and put your AP on him and wait.

But a D1 coach isn't used to having that amount of "work" as gil said. If you're trying to win a battle at D1, you're leaving your AP there until something happens with that recruit. With 3 openings you might have only 5 guys unlocked. So to drop to D2, these same coaches are having to unlock 15 players instead of 5. And that's why the term "work" comes out.

I’ve always felt you need an even wider net in low D1 than D2. D+ D1 Iba I put AP on 117 different players throughout RS1 and offered 15 ships for 6 spots. Only 6 of the 15 players I offered were originally in my Top65 (the other 9 I had at level 1 when recruiting started I came in based on opportunity). I’m in Nebraska and I made plays for recruits in CA (top 60 guy), WA, UT, CO, WI, IL, NE, OK, TX (top 30 guy), Lithuania (4 star), Spain, and Puerto Rico. D+ D2 Allen I put AP on 58 different players and offered 11 ships for 7 spots. The difference is that 9 of the 11 players I offered ships were all in my 500 and 9 of the 11 were in my original Top 45.
7/10/2020 11:29 AM
Posted by cubcub113 on 7/10/2020 11:29:00 AM (view original):

I’ve always felt you need an even wider net in low D1 than D2. D+ D1 Iba I put AP on 117 different players throughout RS1 and offered 15 ships for 6 spots. Only 6 of the 15 players I offered were originally in my Top65 (the other 9 I had at level 1 when recruiting started I came in based on opportunity). I’m in Nebraska and I made plays for recruits in CA (top 60 guy), WA, UT, CO, WI, IL, NE, OK, TX (top 30 guy), Lithuania (4 star), Spain, and Puerto Rico. D+ D2 Allen I put AP on 58 different players and offered 11 ships for 7 spots. The difference is that 9 of the 11 players I offered ships were all in my 500 and 9 of the 11 were in my original Top 45.
I wasn’t going to jump in here because this thread is way off OP, but wow. This is a ridiculous amount of work. More power to you, but no one should feel like it’s necessary to do anything close to this, unless this kind of method is fun for them.

This could also apply to 95% of the things gil writes, no offense gil.
7/10/2020 2:04 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 7/10/2020 2:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cubcub113 on 7/10/2020 11:29:00 AM (view original):

I wasn’t going to jump in here because this thread is way off OP, but wow. This is a ridiculous amount of work. More power to you, but no one should feel like it’s necessary to do anything close to this, unless this kind of method is fun for them.

This could also apply to 95% of the things gil writes, no offense gil.
Not keeping it up during quarentine....
7/10/2020 5:01 PM
◂ Prev 1234
Question about perimeter Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.