THE $52 Million Draft LXIX Commentary/Complaints Topic

I think - - and - - will be especially important contributors... especially - -

{also Jesus J, all you have to do is backspace over those X and arrow boxes - it's just a common courtesy}
7/19/2020 1:01 PM (edited)
Name Team Pos Usage% 2pt%# 3pt%# eFG% OReb% DReb% Ast% Stl% Blk%
Kevin Durant 17-18 Warriors SF 30.4 55.7 41.6 58.6 1.5 18 17.7 0.9 2.7
Julius Erving 81-82 76ers SF 28.1 54.3 28.7 54.7 9.3 12.9 12.6 2.4 2.8
Terry Porter 90-91 Trail Blazers PG 19.6 56.1 42.1 58.4 2 8.7 27.1 2.5 0.2
Derrick Favors 18-19 Jazz PF 19.4 63 21.7 60 12.3 19.9 6 1.4 3.3
Andrew Bogut 13-14 Warriors C 12.5 62.4 0 62.7 10.8 28.1 7.8 1.2 3.9
Chris Webber 96-97 Bullets PF 24.6 53.4 39.5 54.3 9.7 19.7 14.6 2 2.9
Anthony Mason 96-97 Hornets PF 17.6 52.4 33.1 52.5 7 22.5 17.5 1.1 0.6

Porter / ?
Doc / KD
KD / Webber
Favors / Mason
Bogut / Mason
7/19/2020 2:48 PM (edited)
I love this team.

Not gonna get into why I picked Durant 5th, but Doc opened up other avenues by locking up two six point two way wings. Porter fits with everyone, Favors and Bogut are great part time bigs, and fit the usage and passing marks I set.

I'm a little worried about Webber and Mason's scoring, but that's really it. This is quite possibly the best offense and defense I've ever had in any league. I won't make it to 500 3's which could hold me back, but I expect the D, rebounding and passing to make up for it. we'll see
7/19/2020 5:03 PM (edited)
I’d imagine I will be the last team on everyones division rankings. This team is set up to win 85...95 regular season games.
7/19/2020 6:19 PM
I'm just glad I don't have to make that decision...
7/19/2020 6:33 PM
Here are the first 12 draft feedbacks. The remaining 12 will be posted Monday evening.

24. longtallbrad
  1. Jeremy Lin
  2. Dwyane Wade
  3. Larry Nance/Andrei Kirilenko
  4. Ben Wallace/Andrei Kirilenko
  5. Patrick Ewing/Jonas Valanciunas
Like: Wow! Give me some D. Give me some more D. How about some DOUBLE D? This OLD SKOOL squad will be no fun to play. Dynamic inside/outside scoring with Wade/Ewing.

Like Less: You will need to be real creative in the free agent market to find some 3 pt shooters and more assists. You may be forced to have some part-time players that play less than stellar D. Boo Hoo...

23. amerk1180
  1. Maurice Cheeks/James Harden
  2. James Harden/ Alvin Robertson
  3. Kevin McHale
  4. Nikola Jokic
  5. Marcus Camby/Tree Rollins
Like: This squad has high efg% throughout, and good inside/outside ball distribution. Mo cheeks works great with the right support staff, here he just needs to efficiently distribute the ball and play some D. I paired him with Curry last season, Harden will jack-up plenty of 3pa for him this year.

Like Less Jokic will need to have a big year for you, especially rebounding. I had Jokic penciled in for my squad, and went with another no defense dynamo, Carlos Boozer. Each of us seem to have done well surrounding them with players who CAN actually play some defense, LOL.
  1. copernicus
    1. John Stockton
    2. Kyle Lowry/Paul Pierce
    3. Kenneth Faried
    4. Bob McAdoo
    5. Artis Gilmore/Kyle O'Quinn
Like: Beautiful guard rotation with Stockton, Lowry,, and Pierce. They can definitely fuel the fire. McAdoo and Gilmore can rebound and consistently provide meaningful scoring support.

Like Less: This team doesn't have a clear GO TO scorer, although in aggregate there should be plenty of offense. McAdoo and Pierce are the high-usage guys and need to have big seasons.

1. samuelyork93
    1. Magic Johnson
    2. Danny Green
    3. Marvin Williams/Jamychal Green
    4. Tim Duncan
    5. Emeka Okafor/Bob Lanier
Like: This team seemed sort of average/pedestrian thru 5 rounds, but you really knocked it out of the park in the 6th round with the Lanier/JaMychal selections. Now I really like the big man rotation of Lanier, Duncan, and Okafor.

Like Less: Usage looks kinda low with the 1, 2, 3 positions. You will need to find some assist production in the free agent market to provide Magic some quality backup.

1. Midge
    1. Kevin Johnson/Jameer Nelson
    2. Kawhi Leonard
    3. Bobby Jones
    4. Kevin Garnett/Domatas Sabonis
    5. Joakim Noah/Domatas Sabonis
Like: This team is solid down the middle with Kawhi, Bobby J. Garnett, and Noah. These guys play hard on both ends of the court. You bet that you could cover point guard and assists in the 6th, and boy were you RIGHT. KJ and Jameer will take care of ball distribution nicely with meaningful help from Garnett and the other big guys.

Like Less: You are light on 3's, and I know you will be addressing that in the free agent market. There are plenty of part-time 3 point shooters to satisfy most needs.

19 sixersnuggets
  1. Gary Payton/Jose Calderon
  2. Mark Price
  3. A.C. Green/Rick Barry
  4. Karl Anthony Towns
  5. Moses Malone

Like: You have three players that I use a lot on my squads (KAT, A.C., and Price). That is both good and bad. The GOOD is exceptional rebounding (along with Moses), and effiecient scoring with KAT and Price.

Like Less: The BAD is below average defense for this league. I like Gary Payton more than most people, but there is one season, and one season only of his that I use (hint: efg%) DUH...
  1. gerryred
    1. Dana Barros
    2. Eric Bledsoe/George Hill
    3. Serge Ibaka
    4. Hassan Whiteside/Carlos Boozer
    5. DeAndre Jordan/Carlos Boozer
Like: Elite rebounding at the 4/5. Nice efg% and decent efficiency throughout the lineup.

Like Less: Should have snagged a high-usage scorer with one of my first two picks. Inconsistent defense. Drafted a girl to play point guard.

17. mptrey
  1. Russell Westbrook
  2. Kyle Korver/Tyreke Evans
  3. Pascal Siakam/Tyreke Evans
  4. Clint Capela
  5. Rudy Gobert/Andrew Bynum

LIke: This team went totally NEW AGE with recent player seasons that sport sexy efficiency and efg%. I love every pick on this squad, although a little iffy on Westbrook.

Like Less: Westbrook is the wild card and his performance will determine whether this squad is good or great. I think you need to pick up some quality assist support on your bench to fuel the efg% fire.

**SPECIAL RECOGNITION** You can kiss my @$$ for breaking my heart when you snatched Gobert out of my sweaty, trembling hands...

16. tarheel1991
  1. Brent Barry
  2. Scottie Pippen/ Vince Carter
  3. Larry Bird/ John Collins
  4. Horace Grant, John Collins
  5. Pau Gasol
Like: I like the usage, scoring, and assist distribution on this team Bird, Pippen, and Vince carry the scoring lead. Assist distribution is spread around 5 players.

Like Less: Defense will be below average for this league, although no one dips below 64. There may be games where "assists by committe" will come up short of supporting the efg% you desire.
  1. mikee1
    1. Charlie Ward
    2. Klay Thompson
    3. Draymond Green/Rudy Gay
    4. Anthony Davis
    5. Clilfford Ray/ Enes Kanter
Like: Great trio of offensive usage and efficiency with AD, Draymond, and Klay (and they play defense!). Pretty much covers 3pa to boot. A lot of good accomplished with these first 3 draft choices.

Like Less: There are some big rebounding teams in this league, some nights your group may struggle to hang with them (you will still out-shoot most though). Need to find a good ball distributor and more assists to back-up Ward.

14. dBKC
  1. Jrue Holiday
  2. Victor Oladipo/Jimmy Butler
  3. Charles Barkley/Jimmy Butler
  4. Buck Williams
  5. Dikember Mutombo/Thomas Bryant
Like: dBKC again claims his birthright? Sir Charles! Good job putting big rebounders/defenders below him, and some decent 3pa and ball distribution above him.

Like Less: This team is set up for Barkley to shine offensively. The big guys have limited offensive upside, that guard rotation will need to consistently put up points in support of Sir Charles (among their other duties).

13. benhoidal
  1. Chris Paul
  2. Otto Porter
  3. Elton Brand/Tobias Harris
  4. Elton Brand/Tyson Chandler
  5. Nikola Vucevic/Arvydas Sabonis
Like: My first 3 picks last season: Curry-Chandler-Vucevic. Your first 3 picks this year: Paul-Chandler-Vucevic. Checks a lot of boxes starting out, with good paint/perimeter balance, and dynamic scoring, assists, and rebounding.

Like Less: You surprised me with your Brand pick, I was sure you would go Pascaul Siakam or some other super high efg% choice. Brand of course is solid as a rock. I think how he performs will dictate whether your team is good, or great. He definitely brings rebounding and strong D support.

7/19/2020 6:52 PM
Second 12...

12. jhsukow
  1. Steph Curry
  2. Gerald Wallace
  3. Giannis Antetokounmpo/Jamario Moon
  4. Willis Reed
  5. Chris Anderson/Joel Embiid
Like: jh traded away the farm for the fatastical opportunity to play Steph and Giannis together. In a competitive draft league, no less! Ah, The Golden Child and The Greek Freak I bet you fell asleep that night with visions of pixies and sugar plums dancing in your head. :-)
Like Less: I like the late round selections of Gerald Wallace, Willis Reed, and Moon. I don't get the selection of Embiid. Is he to back-up Giannis' usage/scoring? There may be wild swings with usage points and % according to what combination of these 3 guys are on the court at any given time.

11. jcred5
  1. Jason Kidd/Nate McMillan
  2. Walt Frazier
  3. Marques Johnson
  4. Amare Stoudemire/Chris Gatling
  5. David Robinson
Like: Elite defense and ball distribution out of the guard rotation of Kidd, Frazier, and McMillian. Great usage and offense out of the big man rotation.
Like Less: Light on 3PA, need to find some serious bench gunners. No getting around that Amare will sometimes be a defensive liability. For some reason DRob has been inconsistent for me, hopefully he will have a big year for you.
  1. vancem
    1. Anfernee Hardaway
    2. Mookie Blaylock/Rodrigue Beaubois
    3. Dennis Rodman
    4. Shawn Kemp
    5. Alonzo Mourning/Samuel Dalembert
Like: You went 100% OLD SCHOOL, down and dirty. Solid defense top to bottom. Anfernee is one of those players that always seems to outperform his RL stats, solid and consistent scoring and assists night after night. Alonzo was a steal where you got him.
Like Less: Even with Mookie, weak on perimeter presence and 3PA. Recent player seasons make 3PA even more important (and easier to find "part-timers" in free agency.
  1. hoopsdude
    1. Kyrie Irving/Goran Dragic
    2. Andre Iguodala/Goran Dragic
    3. Brandan Wright
    4. Karl Malone/Daniel Theis
    5. Bill Russell
Like: Nice guard rotation, should be more than adequate 3's and ball distribution. Karl Malone does it all : efficient scoring, meaningful rebounds and assists, solid D. Russell will take the rebounding responsibilities seriously.
Like Less: Bill Russell (like Hakeem) has a reputation of "hard-to-win-with" in this league (proof that it is a fantasy league, LOL). I think this is a good spot for him, you really just need him to be a BOARD LORD and play some D, any points and assists are just bonuses. You have some important back-up minutes yet to acquire in free agency.

8. uptowngbv
  1. Chauncey Billups
  2. Mike Conley/Jon Barry
  3. Donyell Marshall/Charlie Edge
  4. Mel Daniels
  5. Kareem Adbul-Jabbar
Like: Solid all-around build. Plenty of 3's, assists, and perimeter play with Billups, Conley, and Jon Barry. Down low you have...drum roll please...KAREEM...ABDUL...JABBAR! Nuff said!
Like Less: Defense is below average. Mel Daniels is an interesting sidekick to KAJ, will provide rebound support without getting in the way anywhere else. No clean #2 GO TO scorer, Conley and Marshall will need to step up.

7. ysw128
  1. Deron Williams/Terrell Brandon
  2. Rajon Rondo
  3. Cheick Diallo
  4. Hakeem Olajuwon
  5. Shaquille O'Neal/Greg Monroe
Like: Kick-@$$ assist and ball distribution with your 3-guard rotation of DWill, Rondo, and Terrell Branden (probably the top pg/sg assist % in the league)? Powerful big man rotation chock-full of usage, offense, and rebounding.
Like Less: You haven't drafted most of your SF minutes yet, there are a couple of guys who could fit in there nicely. Who you picking? Hakeem has a reputation of "hard-to-win-with", let's see if you can prove that wrong (Shaq will help out, LOL).

6. dh555
  1. Ben Simmons/Jamaal Tinsley
  2. Ray Allen/ J.R. Smith
  3. Shawn Marion
  4. Wes Unseld
  5. Dwight Howard
Like: Unseld is a good low-usage rebounder that won't get in Howards way. I love the Ray Ray/ J.R. pairing at shooting guard, their 3 pt shooting barrage allows you to have Ben Simmons and his special skill set at pg. Marion is one of my favorites, he has several different season "versions" that can be chosen to fit any teams need.
Like Less: Unseld plays a significant role on this squad, I will be curious how he performs. I am suspicious whether he will help much with scoring and ball distribution because of low usage, but rebounding should be solid. Howard needs a STRONG back-up, I'm interested to see who you come up with.

5. bds9992
  1. Terry Porter
  2. Kevin Durant
  3. Julius Erving/Anthony Mason
  4. Derrick Favors/Chris Webber
  5. Andrew Bogut
Like: This team is solid all around, a lot of offensive firepower with excellent efg%, led by high usage Durant and Dr J. Webber was a remarkable steal in the late 6th round, I almost took him instead of Boozer in the 4th!
Like Less: Big surprise that you took Durant at #5, with Shaq, KAJ, and Howard still on the board. You had the plan (and balls) to do it. Maybe try to fill-out your bench with some 3pt shooters, either way this offense will do some damage.
  1. pennsylvania
    1. Oscar Robertson/Manu Ginobili
    2. Bradley Beal/Manu Ginobili
    3. NIck Anderson/Manu Ginobili
    4. Robert Parish
    5. Bill Walton/Javale McGee
Like: Everyone expected you to stay RIGHT, and instead you went LEFT ;-) You tried a different drafting strategy, trading Steph (and out of the first round) and picking up extra value picks in the middle rounds. Well executed start with Walton/Manu, the peanut gallery is surprised and impressed.
Like Less: You immediately dumped the player that led me to the Championship last season. You and I share a fondness for Tiny Archibald. You should give Steph a try sometime. He is Tiny on steroids, take 300 of Tiny's missed shots and turn them into MADE 3 pointers, and you have Steph (kinda/sorta), LOL.

3. pharrop
  1. LeBron James
  2. Montrezl Harrell
  3. Al Horford
  4. Andre Drummond/ Tom Boerwinkle
Like: Nice to get Lebron at #3, many in this league have him ranked #1 overall. Andre Drummond is a favorite of mine, you can choose between excellent 1, 2, or 4 pt usage seasons to fit your team's needs. Montrezi will normally give you the advantage at SF.
Like Less: You could use a little more offense at the 4/5 to provide some better perimeter/paint balance with Lebron. Assists look light, maybe shake some more out of free agency?

2. thomcat
  1. Steve Nash
  2. Clyde Drexler
  3. Paul George
  4. Jerry Lucas
  5. Wilt Chamberlain
Like: Fun to start a team out with Wilt, isn't it? You immediately drafted perimeter shooters to balance the playing field, Nash and Paul George will require attention from your opponents and not allow everyone to gang-up on Wilt (not that he cares, LOL).
Like Less: Defense may be inconsistent with Nash, Lucas, and Adrian Dantley? mixed-in. Looks like you are loading enough firepower that will allow you to go with "THE" Wilt season.
  1. redbooda
    1. Derek Harper
    2. Michael Jordan
    3. Tayshaun Prince
    4. Kevin Love
    5. Yao Ming
Like: There are at least 5 players that are historically chosen before Air Jordan, and I know that you know that. Presumably you are a big fan, and you chose to have fun building a team and season around His Airness. I applaud your conviction and I hope he has a big year for you. Harper is a great back court mate for Jordan, an efficient low-usage ball distributor that plays D.
Like Less: You were way, WAY early choosing Tayshaun Prince at the 2/3 turn. He would still be available in the 5th or 6th rounds. You could have instead snatched a dynamic scoring/rebounding big man to provide some offensive balance with Jordan (Nikola Vucevic would have been perfect).

7/20/2020 9:28 PM (edited)
Drafted defense.
72, 100, 100, 92, 90, 90, 80
7/19/2020 7:58 PM
I will say I drafted the entire way from round 2 with Westbrook in mind, so if I'm not successful, I'll just convince myself no one can be with him in this league.
7/19/2020 8:04 PM
Dwight Howard 10-11 Magic C 27.4 59.4 0.0 59.3 12.1 28.8 4.9 1.7 3.8
Shawn Marion 06-07 Suns SF 19.5 58.5 31.6 56.1 6.6 21.1 5.2 2.3 2.3
Ben Simmons 17-18 76ers PG 22.3 54.3 0.0 54.5 5.6 18.3 28.6 2.2 1.4
Ray Allen 01-02 Bucks SG 26.3 48.8 43.3 56.1 3.6 9.5 14.1 1.6 0.4
J.R. Smith 07-08 Nuggets SG 26.2 54.0 40.0 57.8 3.3 7.8 11.0 1.9 0.5
Wes Unseld 75-76 Bullets C 11.3 59.5 30.0 57.8 9.7 24.5 16.1 1.2 1.1
Jamaal Tinsley 03-04 Pacers PG 17.6 47.0 37.2 51.8 2.3 8.8 31.6 3.0 0.8

I orginally wanted to use 05-06 Marion at PF and build around that. That was the main reason for the Ben Simmons pick. But by the time I got to my 4th round pick, I scrapped that plan and decided I was gonna use a low usg boarder at PF. 75-76 Wes Unseld immediately came to mind. I was looking at that season while thinking about drafting Wes in the Savage league and I really wanted to try it out. This seemed like a decent spot to use it. I'm pretty happy with the trade down in the 5th since I was going to take J.R. regardless and it allowed me to move up in the 6th and get Tinsley. This feels like a classic 42-48 win team that gets eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round. Defense probably isn't good enough to be a real contender.
7/19/2020 8:19 PM
Thanks gerryred! Awesome evals so far!
7/20/2020 2:50 AM
Posted by mptrey on 7/19/2020 8:04:00 PM (view original):
I will say I drafted the entire way from round 2 with Westbrook in mind, so if I'm not successful, I'll just convince myself no one can be with him in this league.
I don't think it's possible to succeed with him in this league, so if you do it I will be mightily impressed
7/20/2020 9:37 AM
Posted by bds9992 on 7/19/2020 2:48:00 PM (view original):
Kevin Durant 17-18 Warriors SF 30.4 55.7 41.6 58.6 1.5 18 17.7 0.9 2.7
Julius Erving 81-82 76ers SF 28.1 54.3 28.7 54.7 9.3 12.9 12.6 2.4 2.8
Terry Porter 90-91 Trail Blazers PG 19.6 56.1 42.1 58.4 2 8.7 27.1 2.5 0.2
Derrick Favors 18-19 Jazz PF 19.4 63 21.7 60 12.3 19.9 6 1.4 3.3
Andrew Bogut 13-14 Warriors C 12.5 62.4 0 62.7 10.8 28.1 7.8 1.2 3.9
Chris Webber 96-97 Bullets PF 24.6 53.4 39.5 54.3 9.7 19.7 14.6 2 2.9
Anthony Mason 96-97 Hornets PF 17.6 52.4 33.1 52.5 7 22.5 17.5 1.1 0.6

Porter / ?
Doc / KD
KD / Webber
Favors / Mason
Bogut / Mason
FYI, pretty sure you're going to have to start Mason, or your minutes aren't going to work out the way you want them to. Until WIS changes the SIM to allow for greater control over lineup rotations (this will happen when hell freezes over), there's only so many minutes a guy can play off the bench, mainly because starters automatically play roughly the first five and last five minutes barring foul trouble.
7/20/2020 9:40 AM
Gerry, good work on the evals. FYI, my rotation is more like this:

PG: Barry/undrafted
SG: Pippen/Carter
SF: Bird/Pippen
PF: Gasol/Collins
C: Grant/undrafted/Collins
7/20/2020 9:52 AM
Name Pos Usage% 2pt%# 3pt%# eFG% OReb% DReb% Ast% Stl% Blk%
66-67 Wilt Chamberlain C 18.5 68.7 0.0 68.3 16.5 26.9 17.1 1.3 4.4
71-72 Jerry Lucas PF 18.1 53.1 34.7 52.8 9.3 23.5 12.2 1.4 2.1
18-19 Paul George SF 29.5 47.4 38.4 52.9 3.5 18.6 12.7 2.5 0.7
94-95 Clyde Drexler SG 25.7 50.7 35.8 52.1 6.0 12.8 16.4 2.2 1.0
06-07 Steve Nash PG 23.0 57.3 45.3 61.3 1.3 9.2 38.7 0.9 0.1
12-13 Larry Sanders PF 17.0 50.6 0.0 50.6 11.3 24.2 5.4 1.2 5.9
97-98 Cory Alexander PG 19.8 47.0 37.5 51.0 1.5 11.2 23.2 2.5 0.5
82-83 Adrian Dantley SF 26.1 57.6 0.0 58.0 6.8 8.8 13.3 0.9 0.6
The big decision here was Lucas. Needed the 73 D season because as mentioned somewhere else, it's tough to win with a lousy and a mediocre defender in the starting 5. The 73 version also allowed me enough minutes to fill to justify picking up Sanders. He'll also have to back up George at SF with a 97 eff% at that position but a 92 D and elite rebounding for at SF should justify it. Wanted to avoid Dantley but could not pick up the wanted 58 efg% with 26 usg% from among the 3pt shooters left. I'm not seeing any major weaknesses but I'm sure some will pop up during the season.
7/20/2020 12:57 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17|18|19 Next ▸
THE $52 Million Draft LXIX Commentary/Complaints Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.