FBD's 2000th Team Celebration ~The Party's Started Topic

Besides SIM Baseball I am a voracious reader. I read 4 or 5 books a week and have way over 1000 titles in my Kindle library.

Here are two fictional baseball books I highly recommend:

Deadball: A Metaphysical Baseball Novel by David B. Stinson

The Universal Baseball Association by Robert Coover

They are both probably very different from any books you ever read. The last one is about a guy named J. Henry Waugh who becomes totally obsessed with a table top baseball simulation he invented.

8/6/2020 6:40 PM
I am going to join purely our of respect for fatboydad and many of you other long-term WIS baseball sim guys-even though my years are going to
stink for players. I have entered nearly 155,000 teams since joining in 2002. I,too,started following MLB around age 6 reading boxcores eith my creal every morning. Cllected thousands of baseball cards,played thru high school,and then have played tens of thousands of APBA games. At one time,I had almost every season of APBA dating back to the 50's,but threw them all away when I moved a couple of years ago. I also love drafting more than managing and that is why schwarz'e quick draft leagues last month were so much fun-in 10 of them. My favorite WIS memories were from the middle years (around 2006-2014)of Gridiron Dynasty before WIS ruined it and almost all the old owners quit. I also play HB Dynasty but enjoy baseball sim more:
Joined-2002...Born-1955...Tennessee...1973...1920
8/6/2020 6:43 PM (edited)
I want to honor your celebration by joining, too.

I've become focused on writing about this thing we all enjoy in a blog I started last month. I'm going into depth on my history with sim games (Statis Pro!) and what it all means. I think you will enjoy reading it. Here's the "home page" and it will take you into the blog from there.

https://www.jasonwinston.net/welcome-to-the-journey/

I was born in CA in 1970. Graduated HS in 1988, Dad born in 1942. Started here in 2016. I think those cover the key pieces.
8/6/2020 6:46 PM
Posted by jtvaughey on 8/6/2020 6:28:00 PM (view original):
fun to be had... I'll jump in
Fun you want...fun we've got and virtual cake

8/6/2020 6:48 PM
Posted by Rattlers on 8/6/2020 6:43:00 PM (view original):
I am going to join purely our of respect for fatboydad and many of you other long-term WIS baseball sim guys-even though my years are going to
stink for players. I have entered nearly 155,000 teams since joining in 2002. I,too,started following MLB around age 6 reading boxcores eith my creal every morning. Cllected thousands of baseball cards,played thru high school,and then have played tens of thousands of APBA games. At one time,I had almost every season of APBA dating back to the 50's,but threw them all away when I moved a couple of years ago. I also love drafting more than managing and that is why schwarz'e quick draft leagues last month were so much fun-in 10 of them. My favorite WIS memories were from the middle years (around 2006-2014)of Gridiron Dynasty before WIS ruined it and almost all the old owners quit. I also play HB Dynasty but enjoy baseball sim more:
Joined-2002...Born-1955...Tennessee...1973...1920
I am honored to have you join this celebration and have a special virtual cake just for you.

8/6/2020 6:54 PM
Posted by redcped on 8/6/2020 6:48:00 PM (view original):
I want to honor your celebration by joining, too.

I've become focused on writing about this thing we all enjoy in a blog I started last month. I'm going into depth on my history with sim games (Statis Pro!) and what it all means. I think you will enjoy reading it. Here's the "home page" and it will take you into the blog from there.

https://www.jasonwinston.net/welcome-to-the-journey/

I was born in CA in 1970. Graduated HS in 1988, Dad born in 1942. Started here in 2016. I think those cover the key pieces.
I bookmarked your blog and will definitely check in frequently. Enjoy some virtual lemon cake.

8/6/2020 7:06 PM
I love lemon cake. Great choice!
8/6/2020 7:23 PM
I usually don’t like exposing myself on the internet, but since everyone’s doing it...

I was born on 4/20 (no joke) 1997 in Houston, TX at Memorial Hermann hospital where my Mom, Grandma, and Uncle work (and where I plan on going when I finish my M.D. in a couple years).

I’m the oldest of four, but since I’m the first one, my Dad trained me to play ball since before I could remember. I’m told that I was L/L, but my dad taught me to switch-hit in Tee ball, but I liked hitting Righty more, so I refused to bat Lefty (I know, kids are stupid).

When my Uncle went off to Iraq, I took his PlayStation 1 and played all sorts of baseball games, the 1st one being MLB 2002, and my all-time favorite being MVP 2005 (consensus best baseball game of all-time, sorry if you missed out).

My parents always contribute my advanced awareness and heads up play to playing those baseball video games.

I spent almost every day of my life in the backyard hitting deflated basketballs my Dad tossed my way, or in the front lawn fielding grounders (I was an OFer, grounders? Hated them), or on the field for an official team practice or game.

I traveled all over the US playing baseball for a very good competitive tournament team. We went from Omaha, NE, to Panama City FL, to the Spring Training site where the Braves play (some Disney place, I don’t remember the name). Eventually I made it to HS, and made the conscious decision to play down to lower competition by playing HS ball my sophomore year in HS. I didn’t get much playing time due to myself being smaller and younger than the upperclassmen, but I did get to watch current MLB pitcher Corbin Martin pitch against our team from the dugout. Junior year comes around, I’m the starting CFer, but batted 8th because I didn’t hit bombs in BP or whatever (I only batted leadoff prior for nearly every single team), got frustrated, started not trying as hard in practice, and it all came to an end when I started a fight against Langham Creek HS when I spiked the third baseman, started yelling at their coach, and tried to take on their whole dugout.

No longer allowed to play, and burnt out from baseball, I gave up the game. Now here I am with my passion for baseball the highest since I started playing those video games all those years ago.

I joined the site one night in 2011 when my Uncle was babysitting my 3 siblings and I, with my parents up in Michigan for a funeral. We were watching Grown Ups, and he got bored and showed off the site for me. Even paid for my 1st team. But being a broke 8th grader, I just stuck to the free Spring Training teams and LIVE. Soon I forgot about it, and stopped for a few years before randomly remembering the site one day my senior year of HS (2015). Since then I’ve become a mainstay in roster twist leagues, and leagues between $110 and $130 mil caps.

Born: 1997
State: Texas
Graduated: 2015
Dad: 1959
Stadiums I’ve been to: MMP, Ameriquest, Comerica, U.S. Cellular, Rogers Centre, PetCo, GABP

8/7/2020 8:32 PM (edited)
Thanks for the cake - added the extra fun that the MLB brothers of the player I chose were cup of coffee guys... went well with the cake.
8/6/2020 7:36 PM
Posted by fatboydad54 on 8/5/2020 9:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Bradsher on 8/5/2020 6:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by fatboydad54 on 8/5/2020 6:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Bradsher on 8/5/2020 5:16:00 PM (view original):
You're amazing. I am reluctant to jump in here, but here goes. I re-enacted games in my head using an all-star ballot I picked up at my first game and throwing a tennis ball at a strike zone on my grandmother's garage door. I collected a ton of baseball cards at the Safeway across the street. I never attached a baseball card to the spokes on my bike. Never. I enjoyed Earl Weaver Baseball years later. My friends had different games with wizards and goblins & I never could get into that. To me, this is about imagination. The photos on BBR. All that is gold to me. I have immensely enjoyed learning about figures in baseball history I knew nothing about.
My cousin and I would use box scores from the newspaper and a wiffleball and plastic bat to re-create games in my grandma's big backyard.
Grandmas are great. I remember playing Wiffle Ball in the parking lot at Candlestick Park. I hit a fly ball that got pulled into a jet stream. It was awesome. Sign me up for this.
First to sign on here is your Chocolate Cake

Looks delicious. I like the little bar on top. Here are my seasons
Joined in 2015
Born in 1965
Born in California
Graduated in 1984
Father born in 1943
8/6/2020 8:39 PM
Gotta spot for me?
8/6/2020 9:32 PM
New Mexico will be my weak spot
8/6/2020 9:33 PM
My math skills are due to notebooks full of SI BASEBALL stats and figuring odds on dice from same
8/6/2020 9:37 PM
I'm in ! Happy 2,000th Team, man! And Cheers to 2,000 more!

1.) 2018
2.) born in 1973
3.) ...in Illinois.
4.) I escaped from the greater Chicago Suburbiapolis in 1991
and wandered the country hitching rides on the back of old railyard trains learning hobo songs from toothless wino hobos, eatin rattle snake & beans out of a tin can for dinner...
...but my mind was always on the game...
...and you may ask yourself - Well, how did I get here?

"Pitchers Hand Out" Willfle ball or baseball on a real field with cardboard bases, or even with a tennis ball in the street with power lines or trees as "interference" played every day of my childhood I could...had to go from house to house on my bike to "round up" 6 or more players - maybe 10 or 12 on a good day. Atari 2600 if it was raining...

5.) I do have 2 younger brothers....
6.) Dad is a huge White Sox & Packers fan, I was a huge die-hard Cubs fan since 1982 when they were horrible woed by the intoxicating enthusiasm of Harry Caray who promised "sure as God made green apples, one day, the Chicago Cubs will Win the World Series" Dad was born in 1949.

Ballparks seen games in: Wrigley, Comiskey, Astrodome, Miller Park, Fulton County Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Kingdome, Turner Field, Coors Field

Cheers, man!
8/6/2020 9:43 PM
* honorable mention WIS predecessor - Dice & Baseball Cards (9 x 9)
...if no one was around to play against me, I'd play 9 on 9 games against 2 linups/teams of baseball card rosters, make the piching chages, pinch hit, & do the play by play, lol...
1 = single
2 = double
3 = triple
4 = home run
5 & 6 - Outs
8/6/2020 9:52 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
FBD's 2000th Team Celebration ~The Party's Started Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.