FBD's 2000th Team Celebration ~The Party's Started Topic

Posted by dorkster on 8/7/2020 8:12:00 PM (view original):
I'd really like to play in your league, celebrating a huge milestone! Congrats!!!

Baseball was my first sport I played and watched. Then, many I became interested in many other sports, and they were great, but baseball has always been #1. And now, baseball is about all I watch. Just yesterday, at the age of 62,I played over-the-line. Too many errors, too many late jumps, too many sore muscles, too much fun. Played and ran a fantasy league for 29 years . . .the virus put that on hold for this year. Loved Earl Weaver Baseball . . .man, that was a blast, as was Strat-O-Matic baseball.

I was a WIS virgin up until 2007.
Born in 1957 in California (still live there, one hour from where I was born). Dodger fan all the way. Saw Don Drysdale break Walter Johnson's record for consecutive scoreless innings.
Graduated in 1975.
Dad was born in 1920, served in the Pacific during WWII. Basketball and Track & Field were his sports (got my love for baseball from my brother).
Welcome, dorkster. I changed league to 30 teams because I wanted you in. My family was in SoCal for brothers college graduation (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo). We went to an Angels game and saw Nolan Ryan strike out 19. He was tied with Seaver and Carlton until Clemens struck out 20.

Here is your virtual Walnut cake

8/7/2020 10:38 PM
Posted by MitchellBade on 8/7/2020 8:38:00 PM (view original):
Would like to join if there's an opening! Stay safe and be well!

1.) Joined site in 2017.
2.) Born in 1989.
3.) Born in New York.
4.) Graduated NYU in 2011.
5.) Dad was born in 1956.

Another New Yorker, Lots great ball players born there. Welcome to the party.

Here is my favorite cake my mom used to make, virtual pineapple upside down cake.
8/7/2020 10:46 PM
I'm two hours away from SLO . . .maybe I'll take my slice of walnut cake, take a drive, and pig out tomorrow on the campus.
8/8/2020 1:18 AM
Congrats Fatboydad54 I'll give this a whirl.

I was born in 1958 and raised in upstate New York. As a kid I spent countless hours playing "topsies" and "knockdown" with our Topps baseball cards.We played baseball everyday in the summer on an old farmers field. If we didn't have enough kids we would close off right field. The first baseman was a board that we would try and hit with a throw before the runner got to first base.This skill would help much later when our bunch would pulverize the rival "gang" with deadly accuracy in snowball wars.

Joined the site in 2006 after my oldest son told me about this cool simulated baseball site he discovered
Graduated HS in 1976. My dad was born in 1936, he was a terrific athlete and was scouted by the Red Sox. I have a picture of him that was used in our local newspaper that showed him getting brushed back after he had already hit two bombs over the center field wall. He looked like Micky Mantle with the short sleeve jersey top showing off his "guns". He instilled my love of baseball and I am fortunate to still have him with us. Since I am only 45 minutes from Cooperstown we go there often. My boys played on traveling teams and were lucky enough to play on Doubleday Field numerous times.
I was at the Pine Tar game at Yankee Stadium sitting right on the third base side in the first row near the field. I was close enough to see George Brett's veins popping out of his neck because he was so mad. Was in Baltimore at Camden Yards for the games during streak week.

Soooo....hit me up with some cake and let's light this candle!

8/8/2020 10:13 AM (edited)
In! Joined 2003 Born 1966 New Jersey Graduated 1984 Dad born 1938
8/8/2020 11:47 AM (edited)
And I thought I was bad. Joined in 2002 and have logged 1,453 teams and have 12-13 going at any time. Only 14 Championships, but like you I love building teams and often times stick to my favorite players vs trying to build the "best" team. I was born in 1957 and recall starting to follow players in the early-mid sixties. Mantle and Koufax were my favorites and are on as many teams that I can fit them on based on the theme. I play theme leagues exclusively along with a few progressives.

My Dad was born in 1915 and was briefly a sportswriter for the Washington Star and covered the Senators along with DC local sports. The Star competed with the Washington Post until 1981 when it eventually went out of business. Despite be native Washingtonians, my Dad loved Ted Williams and Harmon Killebrew. When I was young, I never could figure out why my he liked Killebrew so much because played for the out of town Twins - Dah!!!

I love baseball in all forms and was a Strat-O-Matic geek for many years through college, and would play it periodically until I discovered WIS in 2002.

I plan to join the celebration - I should get a team in today.
8/8/2020 12:06 PM
Posted by cal8ss on 8/8/2020 10:13:00 AM (view original):
Congrats Fatboydad54 I'll give this a whirl.

I was born in 1958 and raised in upstate New York. As a kid I spent countless hours playing "topsies" and "knockdown" with our Topps baseball cards.We played baseball everyday in the summer on an old farmers field. If we didn't have enough kids we would close off right field. The first baseman was a board that we would try and hit with a throw before the runner got to first base.This skill would help much later when our bunch would pulverize the rival "gang" with deadly accuracy in snowball wars.

Joined the site in 2006 after my oldest son told me about this cool simulated baseball site he discovered
Graduated HS in 1976. My dad was born in 1936, he was a terrific athlete and was scouted by the Red Sox. I have a picture of him that was used in our local newspaper that showed him getting brushed back after he had already hit two bombs over the center field wall. He looked like Micky Mantle with the short sleeve jersey top showing off his "guns". He instilled my love of baseball and I am fortunate to still have him with us. Since I am only 45 minutes from Cooperstown we go there often. My boys played on traveling teams and were lucky enough to play on Doubleday Field numerous times.
I was at the Pine Tar game at Yankee Stadium sitting right on the third base side in the first row near the field. I was close enough to see George Brett's veins popping out of his neck because he was so mad. Was in Baltimore at Camden Yards for the games during streak week.

Soooo....hit me up with some cake and let's light this candle!

I got my son to join about 10 years ago. He was scallywag because that's what I always called him. He didn't hang around for long. He loves baseball and football fantasy leagues and is very good at them. Even winning some money a few times. Be sure to tell your dad how much you love him and reminisce about your favorite memories growing up. I wish now I had done that more often with my dad.

Here are some candles on your cake, cal8ss

8/8/2020 12:36 PM
Posted by vilefileman on 8/8/2020 11:47:00 AM (view original):
In! Joined 2003 Born 1966 New Jersey Graduated 1984 Dad born 1938
Another friend from Jersey...can never have enough of them. Thanks for joining. Here is some virtual chocolate mint cake

8/8/2020 12:39 PM
Posted by midknight on 8/8/2020 12:07:00 PM (view original):
And I thought I was bad. Joined in 2002 and have logged 1,453 teams and have 12-13 going at any time. Only 14 Championships, but like you I love building teams and often times stick to my favorite players vs trying to build the "best" team. I was born in 1957 and recall starting to follow players in the early-mid sixties. Mantle and Koufax were my favorites and are on as many teams that I can fit them on based on the theme. I play theme leagues exclusively along with a few progressives.

My Dad was born in 1915 and was briefly a sportswriter for the Washington Star and covered the Senators along with DC local sports. The Star competed with the Washington Post until 1981 when it eventually went out of business. Despite be native Washingtonians, my Dad loved Ted Williams and Harmon Killebrew. When I was young, I never could figure out why my he liked Killebrew so much because played for the out of town Twins - Dah!!!

I love baseball in all forms and was a Strat-O-Matic geek for many years through college, and would play it periodically until I discovered WIS in 2002.

I plan to join the celebration - I should get a team in today.
1453 is pretty impressive, midknight. Keep at it and you'll hit 2000. I am sure glad you joined, because...after midknight we're going to let it ALL hang out.

Here is some virtual mudslide cake

8/8/2020 12:44 PM
I'll take the last spot... let me get my bio together.
8/8/2020 12:52 PM
Hey Mike, I'm just curious since I've never done a 30 team league. If I understand the format correctly, one division will have 4 teams, one will have 6 teams, and the rest will have 5. There will be 16 NL teams & 14 AL teams. I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything in your rules about alignment. Are you planning to align randomly?
8/8/2020 12:58 PM
Mike, is your last name Corleone? "Just when I think I'm out, fatboydad54 pulls me back in!"

My profile shows joined WIS in 2003 but I actually joined in 2002 with 2 other usernames... had them & stats combined in 2003.

Born 1956 in Tacoma, WA... grew up in Des Moines WA & graduated Mt Rainier HS in 1974.

Oldest of 3 brothers... we all played sports and excelled in water & snow skiing (me not so much at snow).

My Dad was born in 1933... his father was first cousins with MLB pitcher Clarence Mitchell - they were one year apart and grew up together in Nebraska. He summited Mt Rainer with Jim Whitaker when he was 19. Went on to ROTC in college and became a Captain in the Air Force during the Cold War until he got out in 1959. He's still with us, living pretty much on his own with my middle brother... one of those "larger than life" guys who loves life and can make friends with anyone.

I've seen MLB games at Sick's Stadium, Kingdome, Safeco & Metropolitan Stadium where I got to see Hank Aaron go yard in 1975.

Glad I made it Mike.
8/8/2020 1:14 PM
Posted by 0soup4u on 8/8/2020 12:58:00 PM (view original):
Hey Mike, I'm just curious since I've never done a 30 team league. If I understand the format correctly, one division will have 4 teams, one will have 6 teams, and the rest will have 5. There will be 16 NL teams & 14 AL teams. I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything in your rules about alignment. Are you planning to align randomly?
I am doing random alignment. I forgot to put that on page one. I am in a 30 team progressive. The annoying thing is since the leagues are imbalanced; some days your team will only play two games. The standings are skewed also since teams will not always have played the same number of games.

8/8/2020 2:47 PM
Posted by finn2030 on 8/8/2020 1:14:00 PM (view original):
Mike, is your last name Corleone? "Just when I think I'm out, fatboydad54 pulls me back in!"

My profile shows joined WIS in 2003 but I actually joined in 2002 with 2 other usernames... had them & stats combined in 2003.

Born 1956 in Tacoma, WA... grew up in Des Moines WA & graduated Mt Rainier HS in 1974.

Oldest of 3 brothers... we all played sports and excelled in water & snow skiing (me not so much at snow).

My Dad was born in 1933... his father was first cousins with MLB pitcher Clarence Mitchell - they were one year apart and grew up together in Nebraska. He summited Mt Rainer with Jim Whitaker when he was 19. Went on to ROTC in college and became a Captain in the Air Force during the Cold War until he got out in 1959. He's still with us, living pretty much on his own with my middle brother... one of those "larger than life" guys who loves life and can make friends with anyone.

I've seen MLB games at Sick's Stadium, Kingdome, Safeco & Metropolitan Stadium where I got to see Hank Aaron go yard in 1975.

Glad I made it Mike.
I'm glad you made it too, Bill. It wouldn't be the same without you whipping my butt in the playoffs.

My dad was in the Air Force at the same time as yours. He never made it to captain. During the Korean War he was an electronics technician. They sent him and his company to the Arctic Circle to build a string of radar dishes called the D.E.W. line for Distant Early Warning. In case the commies tried to send missiles over the North Pole. After that they sent him all across the country updating radar on Air Force bases

Here is a virtual cake from your neck of the woods.

8/8/2020 3:23 PM
Mike,

Our Dads may have crossed paths... He was stationed at Condon Air Force Station in Oregon from 1956-1959. It was primarily a Radar Station. We lived on the base and I still have some home movies (in color!) of that time.
8/8/2020 3:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
FBD's 2000th Team Celebration ~The Party's Started Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.