FBD's 2000th Team Celebration ~The Party's Started Topic

Stadiums I've seen games at ... I forgot to list those.

Dodger Stadium
Angel Stadium/Edison Field
Petco Park
Jack Murphy Stadium
Candlestick Park
AT&T Park/Pac Bell Park
HHH Metrodome
Veterans Stadium

Stood outside of: Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Chase Field
Seen football but not baseball at: LA Coliseum

Wish that list were longer.
8/8/2020 6:51 PM (edited)
I failed to list my bio so I'll correct that now. I was born & raised in Columbus Ohio in 1963. Started my lifelong fandom of the Reds (& Cowboys in the NFL). in the 70's. My dad, who was born in 1941 took us to a few games at Riverfront Stadium during the Big Red Machine days. I graduated from Walnut Ridge HS in Columbus in 1981. After graduating from college we lived in Cincinnati for 5 years. While there until moving away in late 1992 I attended several more games. The only other stadiums I've seen MLB games were in Toronto & St. Louis. I played Strat-O-Matic and several other Baseball games including the trading card game keeping box scores along the way. When I was a Youth Pastor I even played with some of my teens. I discovered WhatIfSports and joined in 2001 and, except for about a year, have been playing ever since.
8/8/2020 6:30 PM
Back in the summer of 1999, I flew from LAX to Midway to meet my then BiL to go on a ballpark tour. We drove from Chicago to St. Louis for a ballgame at Busch Stadium, seeing McGwire go yard twice, but the Cards fell to the D-Backs. Then, on to Cincinnati and Riverfront Stadium. Pete Harnisch and Dennys Reyes shutout the Astros 10-0. Next game, K.C. defeated the Indians 10-9 at Jacob's Field (what a sweet ballpark that is). After that, we drove to Pittsburgh and saw Henry Rodriguez be the start of the game, as the Cubs beat the Pirates at Three Rivers Stadium. The heat combined with the humidity was starting to catch up on this So Cal beach kid. The only time as bad as this was touring the Fredericksburg Battlefield in 2010; what a bloodletting that was. Back to baseball, we drove to Detroit. There were about a dozen police cars and lots of yellow tape at the "hotel" we were going to stay in. Not. We decided after the game we would just make the 4 hour drive to the south side of Chicago after the game. It was Tiger Stadium's last season, and Mariano Rivera beat Todd Jones in a 10-innings, 9-8 thriller. Six games in six days. I hope I never forget that trip . . .it was such a blast.
8/8/2020 7:45 PM (edited)
Pa born 1928
Me 1957 in New Mexico
Grad 1975
member since 2010
Only pro game (Any sport) was Busch Stadium. It had just opened, Mays and Bonds for Giants and my CARDINALS!

8/8/2020 8:39 PM
Unless you count the Bundesliga(?)soccer game in Germany. LMOHAO
8/8/2020 8:49 PM
Unless you count the Bundesliga(?)soccer game in Germany. LMOHAO
8/8/2020 8:49 PM
Had one drop out due to 30 team objection. Need one more.
8/9/2020 7:53 AM
Posted by fatboydad54 on 8/8/2020 12:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by midknight on 8/8/2020 12:07:00 PM (view original):
And I thought I was bad. Joined in 2002 and have logged 1,453 teams and have 12-13 going at any time. Only 14 Championships, but like you I love building teams and often times stick to my favorite players vs trying to build the "best" team. I was born in 1957 and recall starting to follow players in the early-mid sixties. Mantle and Koufax were my favorites and are on as many teams that I can fit them on based on the theme. I play theme leagues exclusively along with a few progressives.

My Dad was born in 1915 and was briefly a sportswriter for the Washington Star and covered the Senators along with DC local sports. The Star competed with the Washington Post until 1981 when it eventually went out of business. Despite be native Washingtonians, my Dad loved Ted Williams and Harmon Killebrew. When I was young, I never could figure out why my he liked Killebrew so much because played for the out of town Twins - Dah!!!

I love baseball in all forms and was a Strat-O-Matic geek for many years through college, and would play it periodically until I discovered WIS in 2002.

I plan to join the celebration - I should get a team in today.
1453 is pretty impressive, midknight. Keep at it and you'll hit 2000. I am sure glad you joined, because...after midknight we're going to let it ALL hang out.

Here is some virtual mudslide cake

Whoop whoop!

And...graduated from high school in 1975!
8/9/2020 9:35 AM
Hi fatboydad, I'll take the last spot. Happy to join the celebration.

I joined WIS in 2004, and quickly approaching 1000 teams.
Born 1974 in Toronto, so unless anyone objects, I'm going to use 4 players from Canada. Finished high school in 1991, where I pitched and played some SS and swung+missed a lot. Dad was born in 1945. One younger brother who was far better at baseball than I was.
MLB Ballparks - Exhibition Stadium, Olympic Stadium, Skydome/Rogers, Tiger Stadium, Comerica, Dodger Stadium, AT&T Park, Fenway Park.
8/9/2020 11:15 AM (edited)
Posted by dlchow on 8/9/2020 11:15:00 AM (view original):
Hi fatboydad, I'll take the last spot. Happy to join the celebration.

I joined WIS in 2004, and quickly approaching 1000 teams.
Born 1974 in Toronto, so unless anyone objects, I'm going to use 4 players from Canada. Finished high school in 1991, where I pitched and played some SS and swung+missed a lot. Dad was born in 1945. One younger brother who was far better at baseball than I was.
MLB Ballparks - Exhibition Stadium, Olympic Stadium, Skydome/Rogers, Tiger Stadium, Comerica, Dodger Stadium, AT&T Park, Fenway Park.
Thanks, dlchow Canada isn't actually a state and I don't think Baseball-Ref does Provinces. So go for it.

How does this sound. virtual Butterscotch-Maple Cheesecake Torte

8/9/2020 12:14 PM
My team is in, here is some bio info:

Dad - born 1932, PA
Me - born 1962, PA, same small but quality hospital
Grad - 1981 PA
Joined - 2003 (WV, won adult baseball championship sometime in the 90's at Watt Powell Park where many MLB greats had played)
Birthplace - PA (birthplace of many great athletes)
  • George Blanda, Kobe Bryant
  • Roy Campanella, Wilt Chamberlain, Mike Ditka, Tony Dorsett
  • Nellie Fox, Jim Furyk, Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr.
  • Jack Ham, Reggie Jackson, Hughie Jennings, Jim Kelly
  • Floyd Landis, Tom Lasorda, Tara Lipinski, Pete Maravich, Dan Marino, Christy Mathewson, Joe Montana, Stan Musial, Mike Mussina
  • Joe Namath, Arnold Palmer, Mike Piazza, Eddie Plank
  • Jim Thorpe, Johnny Unitas, Honus Wagner, Ed Walsh
Ballparks
  • PA - Forbes, Three Rivers, PNC
  • Other - Fenway, Wrigley, Comiskey (I), Busch, Cleveland, Memorial (Baltimore), Camden Yards, Coors
So I forgot the Brothers piece when I first built my team, although I have two of 'em myself. Team is now fixed. Please note there is some crossover on my team. I am using some PA born players who also had brothers but I still have 4 of each.
8/10/2020 1:08 PM (edited)
My dad was born in Punxsutawney PA in 1932. He starred in baseball and basketball at Punxsutawney High School. His name was Garlan Bowser. Being from PA you know there are hundreds and hundreds of Bowsers there. He was 11th out of 13 children (all from my grandma Hazel) Three of them died in infancy. My grandpa was a brakeman on the Pennsylvania Railroad. They had a small farm between Youngs Township and Punxsutawney that the family still owns.
8/9/2020 5:19 PM (edited)
Posted by fatboydad54 on 8/9/2020 5:19:00 PM (view original):
My dad was born in Punxsutawney PA in 1932. He starred in baseball and basketball at Punxsutawney High School. His name was Garlan Bowser. Being from PA you know there are hundreds and hundreds of Bowsers there. He was 11th out of 13 children (all from my grandma Hazel) Three of them died in infancy. My grandpa was a brakeman on the Pennsylvania Railroad. They had a small farm between Youngs Township and Punxsutawney that the family still owns.
My dad was born in Clearfield PA in 1932, not far from Punxsutawney. He played HS football and wrestled.

The only Bowser I know is Barry Bowser who graduated HS with one of my brothers (1979) and we all ran track together.
8/10/2020 1:01 PM
Surely you all knew Ned Ryerson, though. Bing!

https://youtu.be/XqSYC_vwhDg
8/10/2020 1:21 PM
forgot to include the ballparks : County stadium , Milwaukee , not from Great Lakes Naval Training Center where I was going to school .
Astrodome , Oakland Coliseum , Candlestick Park , ( haven't been to a Giants game in over 20 years )
Petco Park , Anaheim Stadium , Riverfront Stadium , Cinci and Royals Stadium K.C. .
8/10/2020 2:14 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8 Next ▸
FBD's 2000th Team Celebration ~The Party's Started Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.