Game of Zones - SAVAGE Season 2 Topic

Posted by bds9992 on 8/7/2020 11:56:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dBKC on 8/7/2020 9:55:00 AM (view original):
I’ve been watching SO MANY MOVIES thanks to Covid ruining the outside world. Let’s hear the two page version if you don’t mind.

some of the best movies I’ve seen recently:

Knives Out
The Shape of Water
Parasite
Room (not “The Room”, but “Room)
Blackkklansman
Midsommar (but wow)
Uncut Gems
A24 is far and away the best studio in movie theaters going.

Knives Out was really, really funny. Daniel Craig as a Southern detective is so good
I will see anything from A24. Don’t always make it out to the Chicago suburbs though.
8/7/2020 12:04 PM
Season 2 - Episode 2: The House of No Evil
Upon a dark background, white block letters say ‘PREVIOUSLY ON GAME OF ZONES’. The Os are filled in as though they are basketballs.

Scene opens to the Hand of the King, dh555 addressing a crowd of lords and knights.

dh555: “Knights of the realm. Today begins the greatest tourney the SAVAGE LANDS have ever known. Honor and glory await you.”

Cut to Sir LeBron riding on a white stallion followed closely by Sir Anthony of Brow. They pass through a large gate and enter the Red Keep of King’s Landing. On the road ahead they see knights from all over the realm arriving into town. One knight stands higher than the rest.

Sir LeBron: “That is Sir Wilt, the Goliath of Dipperville. Whichever lord’s sword gets drawn second will be blessed with his services. Too bad, he can only guard one position.” Sir LeBron smirks.

The screen darkens to black and we see a disclaimer in white letters appear: ALL CHARACTERS AND EVENTS IN THIS CARTOON, EVEN THOSE BASED ON REAL PEOPLE, ARE FICTIONAL AND ALL VOICES ARE OBVIOUSLY IMPERSONATED. The letters disappear and new letters take its place: GAME OF ZONES. The Os are basketballs. These letters too disappear and a cartoon knight is seen dribbling a basketball between his legs next to new letters: SEASON 2 - EPISODE 3: The House of No Evil.

Scene opens to a giant man riding a massive mountain lion through the streets of Braavos. He is wearing chain mail armor over a black leather doublet and has on a golden headband from which long black hair is flowing down his back. He approaches a dark stone building at the top of a rocky knoll. A set of marble steps leads to two large ornate doors. The left door is made of white weirwood. The right is ebony. In the center of the doors is a carved monkey face made of ebony on the weirwood side and weirwood on the ebony side. Instead of eyes, it has two empty sockets. The left socket is weirwood against the ebony monkey face, the right socket is ebony against the weirwood monkey face. Next to the doors on either side are two sculptures of monkeys. The one on the left is holding its hands over it’s ears. The one on the right is holding its hands over its mouth.

The man dismounts and heads up the stairs. He is carrying a morning star and has a large double headed axe strapped to his back. The doors open and three hooded figures step out and onto the top step. The one in front holds out an arm and a hand that isn’t quite human protrudes from the extended sleeve. A long finger stretches out and points first at the morning star, and then at the axe. The man drops the weapons on the bottom steps and follows the three figures through the doors. The inside of the building is completely dark except for an array of candles that are lit in a path. Off the glow of the candles we see the lead hooded figure beckon the man forth. At the end of the candle lit path is another hooded figure wearing a robe. The hood slowly falls back, seemingly on its own accord, revealing the striking red hair that could only belong to one lord.

Lord Gerry the Red: “Who are you?”

Sir Wilt the Stilt: “No one.”

Lord Gerry: “You lie. You are the Goliath of Dipperville. I know you well.”

Sir Wilt: “You traded swords with Lord dBKC. Why?”

Lord Gerry: “The House of Gerry has fallen on tough times. Fewer men each day come to pray to the No Evil Gods. We must rise once more. You are the answer. No knight has your strength or combination of effective field goal percentage, usage, rebounding, minutes, and defense. We could have taken Sir Shaq of the Kingsguard, Sir Kareem of the Eyrie, or even the water dancer Sir Stephen from here in Braavos. None of them have what it takes. None of them have lost like you have. When our sword was drawn third, we knew we must trade up to gain your service. All men must serve. So it has been from the beginning. It is your turn to serve now. Acolytes, prepare the gift.”

The three hooded figures disrobe and we see that they are monkeys. All three of them are disfigured. One has only empty sockets where its eyes should be. Another is missing its ears. The third has a slit on its throat where a knife had once cut it. The one without eyes is holding a fire pit poker. At the end is a brand of a monkey face. The one without ears raises a hand and fire erupts in the darkness. As the monkey without eyes places the poker in the fire, the third acolyte grabs Sir Wilt with uncanny strength and holds his head firm by the fire.

A panicked Sir Wilt shouts: “What are you doing? Let me go!”

The camera zooms in on Sir Wilt’s terrified face. His features get younger before our eyes and suddenly we are no longer in the House of Black and White. We are on a basketball court in the middle of a great castle. Sir Wilt is a young kid and his arms are being held by two older boys wearing green. In front of them stands a tall young knight dressed in green and white armor with the sigil of a three leaf clover on his breastplate. He is holding his helm and as we look at his face we see that it is Sir Russell of the Shamrock Knights. Next to him are two more older boys wearing green and learning at Sir Wilt.

Sir Wilt: “What are you doing? Let me go!”

Sir Russell laughs and looks around at his companions. The rest of the knights follow suit and laugh with him.

Sir Russell: “Sir Wilt. When will you learn that you cannot defeat me alone? You will never win until you trust your teammates.”

Sir Wilt: “I do not need teammates! I once defeated 100 knights by myself!”

Sir Russell chuckles to himself: “Those were lesser knights. Hell, they were wearing knickers instead of armor. You never learn Sir Wilt. Bob, hand me my sword. John, where do you think I should put this ring? It seems as though I have run out of fingers.”

We snap back to the House of Black and White and Wilt’s terrified face. As the acolyte pulls the brand out of the fire, Lord Gerry the Red approaches.

Lord Gerry: “Aren’t you tired of always coming in 2nd, Sir Wilt? Always falling just short to the Shamrock Knights? Do you not want revenge? All men must die, even Sir Russell. I can show you the way, if you are willing to pay the price?”

Sir Wilt: “What price?”

Lord Gerry: “The price is you. The price is all you have and all you ever hope to have. We will take your eyes, your ears, your voice. All men must serve, and you shall serve by leading our house to victory in the Hand’s Tournament. Then, and only then, will you be able to give the Gift to Sir Russell and the other Shamrock Knights. So I ask again, can you pay the price?”

The camera zooms in on Wilt’s face. He is trembling but he manages to nod. The camera angle shifts and we find ourselves looking through Wilt’s eyes. The monkey with the fiery brand lashes out, and our screen goes dark as white block letters take over the screen: GAME OF ZONES.
8/7/2020 4:58 PM
The monkey stuff is perfect.
8/7/2020 5:03 PM
I keep thinking the monkey stuff is a nod to monkee aka copernicus who is no longer with us.
8/7/2020 5:23 PM
Posted by ashamael on 8/7/2020 5:23:00 PM (view original):
I keep thinking the monkey stuff is a nod to monkee aka copernicus who is no longer with us.
gerry has the largest No Evil monkey collection in the world. I had some good jokes combining the two of them, but probably can't use them now without copernicus.
8/7/2020 5:39 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 8/7/2020 5:39:00 PM (view original):
gerry has the largest No Evil monkey collection in the world. I had some good jokes combining the two of them, but probably can't use them now without copernicus.
I had no idea. Probably why I didn't get the reference!
8/7/2020 5:41 PM
Posted by ashamael on 8/7/2020 5:41:00 PM (view original):
I had no idea. Probably why I didn't get the reference!
https://www.palestineherald.com/community/a-no-evil-collection-to-die-for/article_1e0cbd3e-a092-11e6-8961-afc117261199.html?fbclid=IwAR220GtqsuJvQ5saVfksjl22aHns4XYFWFzqWK2XbYp2RFF8j9YwCxRD0C0
8/7/2020 5:42 PM
"The Os are filled in as though they are basketballs."

/dying every time
8/7/2020 5:59 PM
Haha You captured my House perfectly, thank you. IRL my place is called No Evil Acres LOL
8/7/2020 6:25 PM
Posted by gerryred on 8/7/2020 6:25:00 PM (view original):
Haha You captured my House perfectly, thank you. IRL my place is called No Evil Acres LOL
Thanks Gerry! If you’ve read the books or seen the show, I was trying to make a Faceless Men parody. Wilt the No Evil assassin will be back don’t worry!
8/7/2020 7:21 PM
too good
8/7/2020 7:25 PM
I’ve been watching SO MANY MOVIES thanks to Covid ruining the outside world. Let’s hear the two page version if you don’t mind.

Knives Out
The Shape of Water
Parasite
Blackkklansman
Midsommar (but wow)
Uncut Gems
Film history has long been one of my main hobbies -
I have a FANTASTIC DVD collection - love Roger Ebert, etc etc...

Knives Out - I thoroughly enjoyed, and was somewhat surprised. The 'who done it' - with a convoluted series of plot twists is usually one of my least favorite types of films, as I usually don't even bother trying to follow all of the twists, as usually they force an ending just have a twist (as almost always it is illogical) - That wasn't the case with this film - it was enjoyable to follow as the thing unfolded. The ensemble did a GREAT job - I always love Michael Shannon.

The Shape of Water - Very much enjoyed the film. I have a hard time with it winning the Oscar, although I'm not sure what was the more deserving film without a list in front of me. I really cant argue with the Director wining his Oscar, as the film was well crafted - I especially enjoyed the saturated colors / film stock/ art direction. Again, I love Michael Shannon and he was a fantastic villain.

Parasite - Very disappointed in myself that I didn't see before Academy Awards (still haven't) - I much appreciate foreign cinema, and am anxious to finally check this box. Interested to see how directer changed tone of film as it progressed.

Room - depressing - well done, but hard to sit through. accolades deserved for actress. A good companion piece for this film would be 1993 film The Vanishing, and the original foreign language (Dutch) The Vanishing from 1988. Jeff Bridges is super creepy in American film from '93 (now THAT is range to go from that to Big LeBowski - lol)

Blackkklansman - not interested

Midsommer - well crafted nightmare. I don't think it really reached my expectations, but still a fine film. I REALLY like the director A.Aster, and think his previous film Heredatary is even better. A great companion for Midsommer would be the British film Wicker Man from 1974. I'm pretty certain this was inspired a great deal by WIcker Man. I thought the American remake with Nicholas Cage was decent. The British Wicker man had added interest, as my ancestors originate from a similar creepy west coast Scottish Island, and I kept thinking a bunch of the locals in the film look a great deal like my cousins in Tennessee... lol

Uncut Gems - Criminally under rated - Adam Sandler hit a home run - VERY well done... I'd like to see it again. Kevin Garnett did well in support role. The guy who was Sandler and Garnett go between did fine in small support role (seemed very authentic). I heard about the film having Sandler, and knew he would do well due to an earlier quirky film: Punch Drunk Love - which I consider a great low budget odd ball classic.
8/7/2020 8:30 PM (edited)
I love Punch Drunk Love, but Uncut Gems is too stressful. KG is actually great in it. Shout out to Lakeith Stanfield for being in uncut gems and Knives out.
8/7/2020 8:48 PM
Posted by cmcafeeky on 8/7/2020 8:30:00 PM (view original):

Knives Out
The Shape of Water
Parasite
Blackkklansman
Midsommar (but wow)
Uncut Gems
Film history has long been one of my main hobbies -
I have a FANTASTIC DVD collection - love Roger Ebert, etc etc...

Knives Out - I thoroughly enjoyed, and was somewhat surprised. The 'who done it' - with a convoluted series of plot twists is usually one of my least favorite types of films, as I usually don't even bother trying to follow all of the twists, as usually they force an ending just have a twist (as almost always it is illogical) - That wasn't the case with this film - it was enjoyable to follow as the thing unfolded. The ensemble did a GREAT job - I always love Michael Shannon.

The Shape of Water - Very much enjoyed the film. I have a hard time with it winning the Oscar, although I'm not sure what was the more deserving film without a list in front of me. I really cant argue with the Director wining his Oscar, as the film was well crafted - I especially enjoyed the saturated colors / film stock/ art direction. Again, I love Michael Shannon and he was a fantastic villain.

Parasite - Very disappointed in myself that I didn't see before Academy Awards (still haven't) - I much appreciate foreign cinema, and am anxious to finally check this box. Interested to see how directer changed tone of film as it progressed.

Room - depressing - well done, but hard to sit through. accolades deserved for actress. A good companion piece for this film would be 1993 film The Vanishing, and the original foreign language (Dutch) The Vanishing from 1988. Jeff Bridges is super creepy in American film from '93 (now THAT is range to go from that to Big LeBowski - lol)

Blackkklansman - not interested

Midsommer - well crafted nightmare. I don't think it really reached my expectations, but still a fine film. I REALLY like the director A.Aster, and think his previous film Heredatary is even better. A great companion for Midsommer would be the British film Wicker Man from 1974. I'm pretty certain this was inspired a great deal by WIcker Man. I thought the American remake with Nicholas Cage was decent. The British Wicker man had added interest, as my ancestors originate from a similar creepy west coast Scottish Island, and I kept thinking a bunch of the locals in the film look a great deal like my cousins in Tennessee... lol

Uncut Gems - Criminally under rated - Adam Sandler hit a home run - VERY well done... I'd like to see it again. Kevin Garnett did well in support role. The guy who was Sandler and Garnett go between did fine in small support role (seemed very authentic). I heard about the film having Sandler, and knew he would do well due to an earlier quirky film: Punch Drunk Love - which I consider a great low budget odd ball classic.
You really know your film! Shoot me some recommendations you think I’d like based on my list if you don’t mind.
8/7/2020 9:03 PM
Posted by robusk on 8/7/2020 11:02:00 AM (view original):
A lot of what I like fits into a couple categories: ****** action movies, quirky comedies (I love a lot of movies that get stamped with this “mumblecore” tag that I am not particularly fond of), westerns, capers/heists, karate and car chases. I’ll watch anything amazing directors like the Coen Brothers and PT Anderson do. I won’t bore people with all the mainstream, obvious stuff or the old classics (I could talk about spaghetti westerns all day). I also love watching absurdly bad movies with my close friends who are also film crazy just so we can make fun of them. A list of movies from the last 5-10 years ago that I really like a lot that (that I suspect you might not have seen) I can recommend are as follows:
  • Mumblecore comedies
    • Joe Swanberg makes a lot of movies I really dig.
      • Digging for Fire
      • Win It All
      • Drinking Buddies
      • Happy Christmas
    • Your Sister’s Sister
    • Cyrus
    • Safety Not Guranteed
  • Indie-ish One Man Wrecking Crew
    • Jeremy Saulnier is someone I want to call out because he hasn’t made a lot but what he does make is so good, if stressful and intense.
      • Green Room
      • Blue Ruin
    • Upgrade
    • The Guest
    • Wheelman
    • Hanna
    • Extraction
    • Shot Caller
  • Martial Arts
    • The Man From Nowhere
    • Raid series
    • Ip Man series
    • Kung Fu Jungle
    • Man of Tai Chi
    • Kill Zone series
    • Wolf Warrior series
    • Steven Chow movies
  • Westerns
    • Meek’s Cutoff
    • The Salvation
    • Hell or High Water
    • Bone Tomahawk
    • Open Range
  • Heist
    • Triple Frontier
    • Den of Thieves
    • Logan Lucky
    • Widows
In terms of TV shows, I am not exciting. I love The Wire (my favorite thing ever made and I watch it constantly), Deadwood, Justified, Watchmen (super well done), Westworld (the one form of sci-fi I love is a dystopian future so things like Blade Runner, etc.), Curb, honestly like half of what HBO does is awesome.
Wow, some deep cuts here. I’ll have to check some of these out. Thanks for sharing.
8/7/2020 9:05 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...25 Next ▸
Game of Zones - SAVAGE Season 2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.