Savage Pop Culture Topic

On a related note, do you guys remember the day when you woke up one morning and said, “hey, are we sure Clint Eastwood is good?”

I’ll give him very solid marks for Dirty Harry and the spaghetti westerns (Good Bad Ugly, Fistful of Dollars). They do a fine job of being what they’re supposed to be, and they fit the period they were released in. I saw Unforgiven but I don’t remember it. With that said, Space Cowboys? Gran Torino? The Mule? American Sniper? Richard......I forget what it was called. Anyway, who told him that he should return to the screen as a 90 year old drug mule? I don’t even want to THINK about that, much less see it. There’s shock value, but c’mon Clint, preserve whatever dignity you haven’t thrown away.

I heard Godless is pretty good, mostly because I’ll watch anything with Jeff Daniels, but I can’t help but feel like I’ve wasted so much good will on Eastwood. Yeah, I know the name, but how much of that stuff do I have to see? Either he specializes in pure novelty or overly dramatized versions of himself who really don’t deserve our empathy at all. I get why people of a certain generation might have dug him, but I feel like I gave him a pass for way too long.
8/8/2020 8:04 AM
It’s a good point. Clint has made a career of
playing himself. He is reknowned as a director for doing everything in one take and it just makes me think: “well yeah, you can do it all in one take when you are playing yourself.”

Back when I used to live in Michigan I used to go to this theater company Jeff Daniels owner and ran a lot. It consistently had great stuff.
8/8/2020 10:31 AM
Posted by robusk on 8/8/2020 10:31:00 AM (view original):
playing himself. He is reknowned as a director for doing everything in one take and it just makes me think: “well yeah, you can do it all in one take when you are playing yourself.”

Back when I used to live in Michigan I used to go to this theater company Jeff Daniels owner and ran a lot. It consistently had great stuff.
The Purple Rose Theater Company?
8/8/2020 10:37 AM
Posted by bds9992 on 8/8/2020 10:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 8/8/2020 10:31:00 AM (view original):

The Purple Rose Theater Company?
Yep. It was the next town over from me (I lived in Ann Arbor). There was a great restaurant around the corner. Sometimes the move on a date was a dinner there, go see a play, go back for a dessert and night cap. Solid hang.

My wife desperately wants to move back close to her family in Michigan. But I can’t quit Portland unless we are moving overseas. Lots to not like about Michigan.
8/8/2020 10:41 AM
A random sampling of movies I watched in quarantine (I was watching like two a day for the three months my wife and kid were stuck in Michigan):

Bloodshot - very bad, even for what it was
Good Boys - very good
Dolemite is My Name - very good, Eddie should have been nominated for an Oscar
Unstoppable - good
Taking of Pelham 134 - bad, but Travolta goes full Travolta
6 Underground - bad
Spenser Confidential - so so bad
Avengement - I mean it is real stupid, but the fighting was solid
Art of Self Defense - good and real weird
Ford v Ferrari - surprisingly great
Hustlers - very good
Sword of trust - good and unexpected
Van Helsing - very bad, I turned it off 30 minutes in, forgot how bad it was
The Rainmaker - bad
Fast Color - woah boy, good and totally unique
Extraction - generic action movie plot but good
Gemini Man - brutal
King Arthur - Guy Ritchie at his worst
The Gentleman - Guy Ritchie at his best
Born to Be Blue - amazing but I was too fragile when I saw it

I also tortured myself and rewatched most of the Michael Bay catalog and it is just brutal.

You’ll notice that is mostly a pu pu player of stuff that doesn’t make me think too much. My emotions were on thin ice while the girls were gone.
8/8/2020 11:02 AM (edited)
bds i see you mentioned mr robot

curious to know your thoughts about how satisfied you were with the ending

that show sucked me right in...i thought season 1 was amazing...it slowed down from there after the big reveal but dropped another bomb on me with the season 2 reveal(i stayed away from reddit etc and was one of the lfew ucky fans who got to be totally surprised by it)...went off the rail a bit in the last season but i was still totally into it and couldnt wait to see the conclusion...sadly in the end i was left with that dexter/lost feeling of the rug being pulled out from under me
8/8/2020 10:50 PM
Posted by dh555 on 8/8/2020 10:50:00 PM (view original):

that show sucked me right in...i thought season 1 was amazing...it slowed down from there after the big reveal but dropped another bomb on me with the season 2 reveal(i stayed away from reddit etc and was one of the lfew ucky fans who got to be totally surprised by it)...went off the rail a bit in the last season but i was still totally into it and couldnt wait to see the conclusion...sadly in the end i was left with that dexter/lost feeling of the rug being pulled out from under me
I think it stayed true to itself. Does the ending ruin or change what we saw? No, not at all. Maybe Elliot found some peace at the end of that crazy journey. I'd be happy for him. In the end, Elliot is our vision of someone who had the ability and the guts to do something bold and drastic, even if it cost him everyone and everything. At least he did what he set out to do. The experience with his father (don't want to give away too much) changed him, and it led him down this path. I was initially confused (then again, when wasn't I?) but I came around. Too hard to follow every detail but it makes sense to me now.
8/8/2020 11:12 PM
Posted by dh555 on 8/8/2020 10:50:00 PM (view original):

I adored season one. Season two was lackluster enough that I bailed after that. The Dexter comparison is perfect. I think season five was the one with Lithgow? It was pure garbage after that.
8/8/2020 11:13 PM
Honestly I really liked season one but LOVED season two. At the end of the day our expectations don't really matter. As long as it starts with a premise, builds to a climax and delivers a relatively comprehensive conclusion that answers some questions, cool.

To me, it's pretty simple: there was no way Elliot was going to be able to control the fallout of something as seismic as 5/9, so he didn't. The chaos outside reflected the chaos inside of him. Bad actors took advantage of it and he didn't necessarily know how this was going to go, but he had to live with it. Seasons 2 and 3 to me were the whole crew reaping what they sowed. There was a way out, but everyone had to die except Elliot and Darlene. That's the price you pay for something that powerful.
8/8/2020 11:21 PM
Posted by ashamael on 8/7/2020 11:15:00 PM (view original):
While waiting on mikee to pick, I fired up my old nba 2k11 fantasy draft with the greatest teams of all time (as of summer of 2010 lol) association and decided to play a game.

Durant had 14 after the 1st, 32 at halftime, and 55 after 3. He caught fire and I just kept pouring it on in the 4th. Never even came close to that before in a game.

After finishing the game, I went to go ahead and finish simming the season. The old 360 froze on up on me after 3 games, so back to collecting dust, I guess!
I found a 10 dollar copy of 2k14 for the PC so I am going to build a Savages roster out of that one I SM'd you the link to.
8/8/2020 11:35 PM
Posted by robusk on 8/8/2020 11:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 8/7/2020 11:15:00 PM (view original):
While waiting on mikee to pick, I fired up my old nba 2k11 fantasy draft with the greatest teams of all time (as of summer of 2010 lol) association and decided to play a game.

Durant had 14 after the 1st, 32 at halftime, and 55 after 3. He caught fire and I just kept pouring it on in the 4th. Never even came close to that before in a game.

After finishing the game, I went to go ahead and finish simming the season. The old 360 froze on up on me after 3 games, so back to collecting dust, I guess!
I found a 10 dollar copy of 2k14 for the PC so I am going to build a Savages roster out of that one I SM'd you the link to.
Yesssssss!!!
8/8/2020 11:42 PM
I am watching the Clique Productions thing that you and bds9992 linked me and it is way too spastic for me to follow. I see what he is doing but the cuts are way too abrupt.
8/9/2020 2:12 AM
Posted by robusk on 8/9/2020 2:12:00 AM (view original):
I am watching the Clique Productions thing that you and bds9992 linked me and it is way too spastic for me to follow. I see what he is doing but the cuts are way too abrupt.
I get that. It grew on me. His videos would be like 5 or 6 hours long if he did things at the speed I would haha.
8/9/2020 2:13 AM
So......I just stumbled upon The Umbrella Academy. It's really damn funny and good!
8/13/2020 5:39 PM
Posted by bds9992 on 8/13/2020 5:39:00 PM (view original):
So......I just stumbled upon The Umbrella Academy. It's really damn funny and good!
I just finished the 2nd season
8/13/2020 5:42 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Savage Pop Culture Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.