Savage Pop Culture Topic

The real question is what are your five favorite Nas records? There are many answers but I’m really curious. Don’t get to ask enough people that
8/16/2020 8:44 PM
Posted by bds9992 on 8/16/2020 8:44:00 PM (view original):
The real question is what are your five favorite Nas records? There are many answers but I’m really curious. Don’t get to ask enough people that
1. Illmatic

2. It Was Written

3. Life Is Good
4. Stillmatic
5. I Am...

Hard to leave God's Son and The Lost Tapes off the list though. I also love the Nasir album he did with Kanye, I know I'm higher on that and I Am... than most.
8/16/2020 8:52 PM
Posted by mptrey on 8/16/2020 8:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bds9992 on 8/16/2020 8:44:00 PM (view original):
1. Illmatic

2. It Was Written

3. Life Is Good
4. Stillmatic
5. I Am...

Hard to leave God's Son and The Lost Tapes off the list though. I also love the Nasir album he did with Kanye, I know I'm higher on that and I Am... than most.
That's pretty much where I'm at, too. I like the spaces.....I know exactly where you're at with that.

I'd have to go God's Son instead of Stillmatic, but yeah, pretty much the same

8/18/2020 10:30 PM
y'all heard of SONSO? I'm way off the beaten path with this but these beats are riiiiiiiiiidiculous
8/18/2020 10:30 PM
Posted by bds9992 on 8/8/2020 8:04:00 AM (view original):
On a related note, do you guys remember the day when you woke up one morning and said, “hey, are we sure Clint Eastwood is good?”

I’ll give him very solid marks for Dirty Harry and the spaghetti westerns (Good Bad Ugly, Fistful of Dollars). They do a fine job of being what they’re supposed to be, and they fit the period they were released in. I saw Unforgiven but I don’t remember it. With that said, Space Cowboys? Gran Torino? The Mule? American Sniper? Richard......I forget what it was called. Anyway, who told him that he should return to the screen as a 90 year old drug mule? I don’t even want to THINK about that, much less see it. There’s shock value, but c’mon Clint, preserve whatever dignity you haven’t thrown away.

I heard Godless is pretty good, mostly because I’ll watch anything with Jeff Daniels, but I can’t help but feel like I’ve wasted so much good will on Eastwood. Yeah, I know the name, but how much of that stuff do I have to see? Either he specializes in pure novelty or overly dramatized versions of himself who really don’t deserve our empathy at all. I get why people of a certain generation might have dug him, but I feel like I gave him a pass for way too long.
With all due respect bds, glossing over Unforgiven is the mistake here. Unforgiven is arguably his best. If you haven't watched lately highly recommend the rewatch. With a career that long you will have swings and misses. As a 10 year old boy Every Which Way but Loose and Any Which Way you can seemed great, but now....

Also a big fan of Heartbreak Ridge, Dead Pool with a young Liam Neeson, In the Line of Fire
8/25/2020 10:31 AM
Unforgiven was pretty good (but not as good as Tombstone*) I will give you that - Gene Hackman was great - I kind of side w bds on many of the others though

*(obligatory: Val Kilmer was robbed - not even nominated - "Why, Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave...")
8/25/2020 11:07 AM (edited)
Tombstone over Unforgiven !?!?! Pretty hot take - maybe I need to rewatch Tombstone...
8/25/2020 12:23 PM
Posted by copernicus on 8/25/2020 11:07:00 AM (view original):
Unforgiven was pretty good (but not as good as Tombstone*) I will give you that - Gene Hackman was great - I kind of side w bds on many of the others though

*(obligatory: Val Kilmer was robbed - not even nominated - "Why, Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave...")
Too bad he lost his mind. One of my favorite acting performances of all time. Hollywood tried to make him a star when he was really one of the best character actors. That probably contributed to his struggles although as I understand it he has some pretty wild beliefs as a result of his upbringing already.
8/25/2020 12:27 PM
Even as a Eastwood is overrated camper, I agree Unforgiven is great.
8/25/2020 12:27 PM
Posted by robusk on 8/25/2020 12:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by copernicus on 8/25/2020 11:07:00 AM (view original):

Too bad he lost his mind. One of my favorite acting performances of all time. Hollywood tried to make him a star when he was really one of the best character actors. That probably contributed to his struggles although as I understand it he has some pretty wild beliefs as a result of his upbringing already.
twice in that film he does more with two words than most actors can do with a soliloquy

eg

Ringo: " I was just foolin' about"
Doc: "I wasn't"

and

Turkey Creek: "Hell I got lots of friends"
Doc: "I don't"
8/25/2020 12:39 PM
Posted by jcred5 on 8/25/2020 12:23:00 PM (view original):
Tombstone over Unforgiven !?!?! Pretty hot take - maybe I need to rewatch Tombstone...
it's a remote drop for me
8/25/2020 12:47 PM
it's not just that he's overrated but also his messaging is problematic in a lot of those films
8/25/2020 12:48 PM
Posted by copernicus on 8/25/2020 12:48:00 PM (view original):
it's not just that he's overrated but also his messaging is problematic in a lot of those films
yes.

I have nothing against Unforgiven, I just haven't seen it since I was in high school
8/25/2020 12:50 PM
Posted by copernicus on 8/25/2020 12:48:00 PM (view original):
Extremely.

I did like Trouble With the Curve, mostly because I really like Amy Adams. There was another baseball movie that came out around the same time (iirc) that nobody seemed to see called The Phenom. I highly recommend that one.
8/25/2020 12:59 PM
Posted by jcred5 on 8/25/2020 10:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bds9992 on 8/8/2020 8:04:00 AM (view original):
On a related note, do you guys remember the day when you woke up one morning and said, “hey, are we sure Clint Eastwood is good?”

I’ll give him very solid marks for Dirty Harry and the spaghetti westerns (Good Bad Ugly, Fistful of Dollars). They do a fine job of being what they’re supposed to be, and they fit the period they were released in. I saw Unforgiven but I don’t remember it. With that said, Space Cowboys? Gran Torino? The Mule? American Sniper? Richard......I forget what it was called. Anyway, who told him that he should return to the screen as a 90 year old drug mule? I don’t even want to THINK about that, much less see it. There’s shock value, but c’mon Clint, preserve whatever dignity you haven’t thrown away.

I heard Godless is pretty good, mostly because I’ll watch anything with Jeff Daniels, but I can’t help but feel like I’ve wasted so much good will on Eastwood. Yeah, I know the name, but how much of that stuff do I have to see? Either he specializes in pure novelty or overly dramatized versions of himself who really don’t deserve our empathy at all. I get why people of a certain generation might have dug him, but I feel like I gave him a pass for way too long.
With all due respect bds, glossing over Unforgiven is the mistake here. Unforgiven is arguably his best. If you haven't watched lately highly recommend the rewatch. With a career that long you will have swings and misses. As a 10 year old boy Every Which Way but Loose and Any Which Way you can seemed great, but now....

Also a big fan of Heartbreak Ridge, Dead Pool with a young Liam Neeson, In the Line of Fire
The Outlaw Josey Wales is my favorite Eastwood film by a long ways, followed by Unforgiven and In the Line of Fire in no particular order.
8/25/2020 1:17 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Savage Pop Culture Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.