Savage Pop Culture Topic

Posted by copernicus on 8/25/2020 12:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 8/25/2020 12:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by copernicus on 8/25/2020 11:07:00 AM (view original):
Unforgiven was pretty good (but not as good as Tombstone*) I will give you that - Gene Hackman was great - I kind of side w bds on many of the others though

*(obligatory: Val Kilmer was robbed - not even nominated - "Why, Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave...")
Too bad he lost his mind. One of my favorite acting performances of all time. Hollywood tried to make him a star when he was really one of the best character actors. That probably contributed to his struggles although as I understand it he has some pretty wild beliefs as a result of his upbringing already.
twice in that film he does more with two words than most actors can do with a soliloquy

eg

Ringo: " I was just foolin' about"
Doc: "I wasn't"

and

Turkey Creek: "Hell I got lots of friends"
Doc: "I don't"
I've never agreed with you on anything more than I do right now. Tombstone is a top ten for me. Maybe top five. And Kilmer's Holliday is a huge reason why.
8/25/2020 5:53 PM
What is the shadier thing: that Doc Rivers traded his son or that he traded for the guy that cheated on his daughter?
8/25/2020 10:44 PM
Posted by robusk on 8/25/2020 10:44:00 PM (view original):
What is the shadier thing: that Doc Rivers traded his son or that he traded for the guy that cheated on his daughter?
Trading your son is honestly not bad, especially after you got him PAID
8/25/2020 10:55 PM
yeah, Doc traded for him or signed him and then got him paid if I remember correctly (Rivers, not the cool one)
8/26/2020 3:26 AM (edited)
btw - my friend and I were talking about this the other day and I used the infinite powers of the internet and discovered this

"Being an educated and well read man, in those rough frontier times; Doc was referring back to the ancient tales of King Arthur. When a knight came into the service of a local Lord, king or damsel, he would lower his lance and receive a huckleberry garland from whomever he was offering to defend, thereby pledging his loyalty, honor and blood. This quote was recognized to mean, “I am your man for this job”. Doc was letting them all understand he would defend Wyatt and the Earp brothers against all threats, with his blood."

Don't ask me what this means about Huckleberry Hound though
8/26/2020 3:29 PM (edited)
Posted by copernicus on 8/26/2020 3:29:00 PM (view original):
btw - my friend and I were talking about this the other day and I used the infinite powers of the internet and discovered this

"Being an educated and well read man, in those rough frontier times; Doc was referring back to the ancient tales of King Arthur. When a knight came into the service of a local Lord, king or damsel, he would lower his lance and receive a huckleberry garland from whomever he was offering to defend, thereby pledging his loyalty, honor and blood. This quote was recognized to mean, “I am your man for this job”. Doc was letting them all understand he would defend Wyatt and the Earp brothers against all threats, with his blood."

Don't ask me what this means about Huckleberry Hound though
Very cool, Copernicus. I'd never thought to look up what that line meant, just knew that every Kilmer line (and the cup scene) were great. The movie as a whole was really good, (maybe the actress sub-plot was meh), but Val took it from great to classic.
8/26/2020 3:34 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 12345
Savage Pop Culture Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.