Do you need a QB for running the Wishbone? Topic

The whole idea of the WB is supposed to be that you can have 3 RBs ...1 running the ball and the other two lead blocking. Unfortunately, GD doesn't allow that. Only one RB can be set to block. No idea what the other one does.
8/4/2022 8:49 PM
a good WB coach will have his stud freshman RB stand there and pick his nose all season long

maybe run a wheel route and trot to the sideline
8/4/2022 8:54 PM
Recruiting class (6 FR; 1 4-star) was ranked #39 by GUESS, full roster was ranked #15 (up from #18). Recruiting was very comfortable for me. Since I had already filled all positions, I did just grab 3 RB and 3 OL, all with VH or H potential, for depth and to even out classes a bit. Roster now has 10 RB (2 RS), 12 OL (RS), 8 DL, 9 LB, 8 DB, P plus WR and TE as result of my blunder 3 seasons ago.
8/14/2022 9:38 AM
We went 14-2, ranked #10, losing in the quarterfinals of the playoffs to the #1 ranked team.

Since this season we don't do field goals anymore. Would love an option to waive punts too. Like this high school coach said 'I don't believe in punting'.
8/31/2022 4:12 PM
Recruiting class (12 FR; 3 4-stars) was ranked #32 by GUESS, full roster was ranked #14 (up from #15). Roster now has 12 RB (2 RS), 11 OL (RS), 9 DL (RS), 7 LB, 8 DB, P plus WR and TE as result of my blunder 4 seasons ago. I really did not 'need' to add 2 more RBs but wanted to even out classes (2 RBs in every class (RS, FR, SO, JU, SR) and could not resist the high potentiial of these guys.
9/18/2022 2:24 AM (edited)
We went 14-2, ranked #11, losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Since last season we don't do field goals anymore.
10/5/2022 2:08 AM
Why not pick up a quarterback with a 4.0 GPA to help FIQ?
10/9/2022 8:51 AM
Posted by wdfox on 10/9/2022 8:51:00 AM (view original):
Why not pick up a quarterback with a 4.0 GPA to help FIQ?
That is one idea, but there are other ways to get the FIQ without having a QB
10/10/2022 8:38 AM
While I respect the experiment and think it's kind of cool, I think that you have already proven it doesn't work. When you play a good human coached team you will lose (badly most times) All run works great, until it doesn't. And not having anything but running backs on offense just compounds it. Just my humble opinion
10/10/2022 9:44 AM
Ditto to Kevsgirl's remark.
10/10/2022 10:53 AM
Posted by kevsgirl on 10/10/2022 9:44:00 AM (view original):
While I respect the experiment and think it's kind of cool, I think that you have already proven it doesn't work. When you play a good human coached team you will lose (badly most times) All run works great, until it doesn't. And not having anything but running backs on offense just compounds it. Just my humble opinion
and that's fine, but if one DOES go all run....having a QB, WR, and/or TE defeats the entire strategy IMO. The strategy (at least mine) is to grow RBs and OL faster/better than one could do otherwise. I can only do that with those three positions being filled with RBs and OLs.

Regarding FIQ, I do believe its a big deal. But, its not clear that there is an FIQ penalty when substituting, or what that penalty is. If someone knows for sure, I'm always open to finding out.

Meanwhile, when/if I think I need FIQ, I merely insert my highest FIQ non starter in those positions.

NOTE: a RB with good FIQ and GI actually performs better than you would think as a passer. I don't suggest anyone go out and try throwing the ball 100% with a RB, but, it's an interesting find.
10/11/2022 11:37 AM
Many thanks, guys, for all your ideas and insights!!
10/11/2022 3:42 PM
Recruiting class (22 FR; 2 4-stars) was ranked #37 by GUESS, full roster was ranked #19 (down from #14). Used this huge class mostly to load up on D. Roster now has QB (RS), 10 RB (2 RS), 11 OL, 9 DL, 11 LB, 7 DB, P. Correct, there will be a QB at Missouri State again (after 30+ seasons) next season. Want to give it a try and see if a QB makes any difference.
10/23/2022 8:56 AM (edited)
RB playing QB. This a RS Freshman. Exhibition game vs top 15 opponent.

I will try this again with a SR tossing the pigskin.

For sure, 5 picks is a problem and I don't recommend this....but... we will see if a SR with higher FIQ and other attributes fares better or worse. I'll be doing this all season as specific games allow.

https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=9138237
10/27/2022 8:49 AM
We went 12-4, ranked #20, losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
11/9/2022 4:57 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10|11 Next ▸
Do you need a QB for running the Wishbone? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.