ODL 77 Discussion/Commentary Topic

I will do some type of evals. Probably more on weekends than on weekdays.

No politics please. Don’t comment on undrafted players.

If you act like a goof people will treat you like a goof...

Final Analysis:
Made my division really tough and wish I had that to do over. I see a lot of squads in the 42 to 48 range,

HDS1 – the King, Chauncey Billups, Clint Capela, Otto Porter Jr., Tree Rollins, JaMychal Green, Daniel Thies
To start, I did not do well building with King in the $52M draft so there is that…He is a great place to start…Billups depends on the season selected but he can provide good/great D, some perimeter shooting and passing…Looking past the minutes Capela gives paint scoring at elite % and elite rebounding..good start…Like the drafted shooting of Porter/Green and Daniel Theis has a good looking season. Got some shooters for LeBron. Still looking good.

Starter usage is fine. Not sure how it will be with LeBron off the floor. 35-40

Isacqbs58 – Wilt, Kyrie Irving, Montrezl Harrell, Kyle Korver, Joe Harris, Kevin Johnson, Julius Randle
Again, which Wilt…Kyrie can give you perimeter shooting, passing and some D…Harrell is my guy with the usage/efg%/pnt% combo anyone could work with…some key picks coming up but good start…first five picks all make sense. Probably could have had better fits than KJ and Randle. We shall see.

Too many minutes.Wrong Wilt year, wrong Kyrie year, KJ will hurt efficiency 25-30

redbooda – Steph, Nikola Vucevic, Pau Gasol, Vince Carter, T.J. Warren, Jaren Jackson, DeAaron Fox
Steph is my guy…perimeter scoring no one else can approach (use the correct season)..Nikola V people pick him in this range…might be a little too midrangy for my post scorer and will have to see the Pau you use…I need Steph to get his shots. So many Carter seasons to choose from. Not seeing how the last 3 help Steph repeat. Uninspired.

18,273 minutes. Not an open league. Last place worst record.

thomcat – Shaq, Elton Brand, Deron Williams, Andrew Bogut, Derrick Favors, DeMarcus Cousins, Buddy Hield
Put me in the Shaq fan club so excellent start…Brand I like but will he take some of Shaq’s paint touches away? DWill will certainly feed them the ball well and he is steady to good on D…we will see how the rest plays out. I like the Hield pick. DeMarcus as Shaq’s backup fits. Different 4 man needed? Not seeing it yet.

Lots of usage in the SL and I see it taking away from Shaq. Ben & robusk like the team in the DD…35-40

24kpyrite – KAJ, Serge Ibaka, Paul George, Hakeem Olajuwon, Jose Calderon, Nikola Mirotic, David West, Jose Calderon
KAJ is a great start. I didn’t use him well when I picked him in the ODL. Will know more in round 4…All good picks but not seeing how the pieces fit usage and cap wise. The Jabbar/George/Dream is interesting but will it work well together?

PG and Hakeem are going to take away from having Kareem. Parkhill plays 20 minutes idk…35-40

gerryred – Dwight, Anfernee Hardaway, Dikembe Mutombo, Derek Harper, Danilo Gallinari, Marcin Gortat, Carmelo Anthony
Dwight, I like, have had success with him. Matching him with Kembe certainly solidifies post D. Will be hard to score inside against them. Always liked Penny. Going to have some solid D for sure. Penny/Harper backcourt interesting, more shooting needed? Gallinari helps with that. Need to see the usage but promising.

I like how things fit on offense…dreb may be a concern…35-40

NotoriousJ – Giannis, John Stockton, Shawn Marion, Jarrett Allen, Chris Andersen, Ray Allen, Greg Monroe
I went all in on Giannis in the Savage league. He has his doubters with the 2100 minute 19-20 season but everything else is outstanding. You will probably get the DPOY bump or not. With Stockton your team is set for assists. Marion provides some good to great D and 3 point shooting. Good start. Will see what’s left in round 6. The Allen pick works. Not sure about the frontcourt besides Giannis. We shall see.

Like the 3 game…tough team when Giannis is on the court but the 22ish minutes he is not…hard for me to tell. 42-46

dh555 – Mailman, Klay Thompson, Artis Gilmore, J.R. Smith, Patrick Ewing, Terry Tyler, Nate McMillan
The Mailman brings most everything and always a good start in this league. Klay provides the perimeter scoring. Artis Gilmore adds mostly good stuff(reb/efg/D)…wondering about cap issues but I am a bookkeeper money manager type. Still not sure about the cap/Ewing pick. Klay/J.R. is a great combo at SG. McMillan works…T Tyler was my first ever pick in a prog league. Maybe just maybe.

Everything fits together pretty well like the Klay/Malone combo…19.1K minutes only ? 40-45

seapilots – MJ, Scottie Pippen, Mike Conley, Bill Russell, Amare Stoudemire, T.J. McConnell, Michael Beasley
The Goat slipped a few spots this year. I like him especially at that spot. What could go wrong with Jordan and Pippen? Perimeter D is locked up. Conley provides some 3’s. Need to see the frontcourt but not a bad start. Like the scoring balance and Amare/Russ seems like a good pairing. Positive thoughts.

EFG% is a little concerning with the high usage guys and dreb is a little light…35-40

jackedjamie – CP3, Tyson Chandler, Carlos Boozer, Marvin Williams, Cole Aldrich, Jeremy Lin, Chris Mullin
Put me in the Chris Paul camp…rl and Sim. Gives you everything. Chandler is one of my guys…D, good enough rebounding and PNT EFG though at a lower usage. And that’s where Boozer comes in. Higher usage good efg% and more PNT with excellent DReb. Mostly makes up for poor D. Chandler has his back. Let’s see who plays the 3 but very good start. Marvin Wililams fits well at the 3. Mullin works with CP3. Looking good.

I liked this team early so don’t want to back track…Kobe is a little scary…staying with first instinct 40-45

dBKC – AD, Steve Nash, Draymond Green, Jonas Valanciunas, Andrei Kirilenko, Andre Iguodala, Don Buse
AD, people love him. I have not had much success with him, probably me. I don’t get out much so have not used Steve Nash but the D makes him problematic depending on the backcourt mate. But the EFG is there and he provides PER at good usage level. Love Draymond, he can help with perimeter D and shooting too but he has that TO issue and depending on the Nash season will it be too many? Iggy a good combo with Nets coach…Valanciunas good in the PNT…AK47 works with this squad…promising

Like the usage, rebounding checks, defense good, bench very good…good team here 48-53

tau1624 – Admiral, Marcus Camby, Luka Doncic, Jayson Tatum, Robert Covington, Chris Boucher, Kenneth Faried
The Admiral is a good start, elite D, good PNT scoring at a good usage level. Camby gives more D, elite rebounding, plus a little passing at low usage. Luka with the crazy usage, elite ast%, elite reb for a pg…so much to like even at the low D. Expecting tau1624 will figure this out…and call it Maybe Next Year. Tatum and Covington are really nice fits and shore up the perimeter D. Like this team a lot.

All in on rebounding, defense is solid, lots of 3’s, off efficiency won’t be top level but tau usually figures it out 40-45

tarheel1991 – Barkley, Julius Erving, Damian Lillard, James Johnson, D’Angelo Russell, Caldwell Jones, Noah Vonleh
tarheel already self evaluated his team. It all sounds doable. One of these I will try to build a good Barkley team in this league as the last one was so weak it got me Steph the next season. I was eyeing up Dame…the 19-20 is glorious and a good mix with Chuck’s paint scoring. We shall see tarheel’s cap gymnastics abilities. Good start though. Caldwell Jones works as does Johnson. That Lillard/Barkley combo will be scary good the more I think of it. Possibilities.

Just want the Chuck/Dame combo…Dr. J is going to take his share of shots though…def may not be as strong as some of the other teams….40-45

albiband0 – Harden, Nikola Jokic, Andre Drummond, Larry Nance, Alvin Robertson, Derrick Rose, Jonathan Isaac
Harden is polarizing. People have certainly had success with him. I don’t have the expertise to figure it all out in a draft league. Will have to see the season’s used to analyze the usage…reb is solid…post D could use a boost. Need to see who else gets drafted. Nance and Robertson provide needed D. Drummond controls the boards. Need to see the cap sheet. Maybe just a maybe.

SL usage is high…bench usage really low…reb is good…Def is not as good as others…offensive efficiency could be problematic…see if an assist bump helps…35-40

jhsukow – DeAndre Jordan, Bam Adebayo, Mookie Blaylock, Gary Payton, Domantas Sabonis, Duncan Robinson, John Henson
Post defense..check and check. (if Bam gets the boost). Mookie give that lockdown perimeter D…and depending on the season good to great ast%, perimeter shooting…need to see the other scorer for this team. Potentially great D though..The Glove gives that D…will love to see how that Robinson season works…Sabonis/Jordan/Adebayo fit well. Need to see the cap sheet but liking it.

Usage is right there…efg could be problematic…need that assist bump…reb could be an issue too. Def is good…idk…37-42

copernicus – KAT, Jason Kidd, Donyell Marshall, Shawn Kemp, Larry Sanders, Malcolm Brogdan, Donte DiVencenzo
KAT is a scoring machine elite reb and some passing with some substandard D. Donyell will cover that, give good rebounding at the 3 spot and make lots of 3,s. Kidd provides elite D, excellent 3 pt shooting, elite passing and elite reb at his position. Good start. Sanders! has KAT’s back. Brogdan/DiVencenzo work with Kidd. Kemp is polarizing but I can see it. Need to see the cap sheet but liking the squad.

Like the usage…reb is strong…ast is fine…def is good…like distro of offense….like this team…45-50

Sappy – Legend, Ben Wallace, Eric Bledsoe, Tom Boerwinkle, Victor Oladipo, Jamal Tinsley, Eric Moreland.
Larry Legend fills the stat sheet and depending on the rest of the makeup can give elite rebounding and assists, whatever one needs. Ben rebounds and provides great D. Bledsoe gives more D and some per scoring with enough ast since the Legend is around. Good start. Like Boerwinkle Wallace pairing. Not sure about Oladipo…perimeter D will be elite but is the scoring too midrangy? Maybe.

Offensive efficiency will not be good as other teams though a chance for the assist bump to boost it. One of the top rebounding teams and good d. 40-45

pharrop – Rudy G, Kevin McHale, Kyle Lowry, Clifford Ray, Larry Nance Jr., Jrue Holdiay, Rudy Gay
Rudy elite D, reb, pnt efg%. Why did I select McHale? Might have to play him at 3 spot. Lowry PER EFG%...usage.

Like the scoring efficiency and rebounding and D is solid to good. Poor job in the division draft and it will be a slugfest in the division except for redbooda…40-45

robusk – Magic, Bill Walton, Manu Ginobili, Tyreke Evans, Kyle O’Quinn, Kyle Anderson, Steven Adams
Magic provides the AST%, some reb, and good EFG. Will have to see the season for TO% & Def. Walton provide elite D & reb and good passing for a big. Ginobili fills the stat sheet well. Evans helps with perimeter scoring, O’Quinn, Anderson, Adams are all glue type guys who bring elite #’s to complement the big names. Nice squad.

Another team with an assist bump thought this squad starts with a bit better shooters. Good rebounding and solid D. 50ish

benhoidal – Rodman, Kawhi Leonard, Joakim Noah, Brent Barry, John Collins, Christian Wood, Rodrigue Beaubois
Rodman provides the D and reb, Kawhi with the scoring, reb and D, Noah provide D, reb, and passing. Lots of things covered in three picks. Good start but that is expected. Last few picks all give something if not everything. Have to think there is lots of cash for undrafted guys. No doubt, Ben will figure it out but I am not sharp enough to know at this point. Sure it will be good.

Another big rebounding team with tough D. Good shooting and assist boost. Bench scoring efficiency is super…50 plus

mptrey – Moses, Tim Duncan, Terry Porter, Bobby Jones, Danny Green, Nicholas Batum, Zion Williamson
Moses and Mr. Fundamental gives lots of post scoring, good D and rebounding especially on O glass. Porter provides good shooting, the passing, and decent enough D. Lots of usage in the post. Jones gives more D and reb, Green is the 3 and D guy…Really strong D is there enough passing? Maybe.
Usage efficiency looks good and I like the PNT/Mid/Per spread. Dreb is a little light and Ast% is on the low side, relative to other squads…40-45

ysw128 – DWade, Ben Simmons, Clyde Drexler, Charles Oakley, Al Horford, Joel Pryzbilla, Dan Gadzuric
Perimeter D is going to be strong on this team. Lots of midrange shots for this team plus some guard PNT scoring. I like Horford. Pryzbill/Gadzuric are low usage guys who board. Perimeter shooting? Not seeing it yet.

We will see how Wade shoots with all these good passers. Lots of low minute post guys...the rebounding looks a little light when Przybila is out. Defense is solid…offense is midrangy..37-42

jcred5 – KG, Hassan Whiteside, Khris Middleton, Charlie Ward, Arvydas Sabonis, Enes Kanter, Bogdan Bogdanovich
KG gives Great D across multiple spots, some reb, and good to elite passing for a big. More elite D and Reb with Whiteside along with strong PNT scoring. That Middleton 19-20 season is a lot to like…some might not like the 2K minutes?…but then I got Giannis/Manu in the Savage league. Ward and co all give something good to like. A lot of good pieces. Looks promising.

The SG combo is sweet. Solid D and excellent reb. Passing is fine and scoring should be good if KG doesn’t shoot too much. 43-48

Division Winners
jcred5
dBKC
robusk
benhoidal
Other playoff teams
Eastern

dh555
pharrop
tau1624
NotoriousJ

Western
Jackedjamie
sappy
Copernicus
Tarheel1991

Conference champs
dBKC
ben

Champs
ben
9/13/2020 6:38 PM (edited)
8/20/2020 9:41 PM
Couple of things right out of the gate.

1. Do not evaluate me, please.
2. Do not calculate pick times during a pandemic, please. You ought to know why.
8/20/2020 9:44 PM (edited)
Posted by jhsukow on 8/20/2020 9:41:00 PM (view original):
Already drama

https://imgur.com/a/MXWtWJk
Much as that would be pretty damn interesting, HDS1 deleted his post.
8/20/2020 9:43 PM
Yes, you have made it very clear to not evaluate you.

I had no plans to calculate pick times. I don’t have time for that.
8/20/2020 9:54 PM
I'll trade my 1st and 4th for your 2nd and 3rd or vice versa. I just like mixing it up.
8/20/2020 9:56 PM
Posted by jhsukow on 8/20/2020 9:56:00 PM (view original):
I'll trade my 1st and 4th for your 2nd and 3rd or vice versa. I just like mixing it up.
I think I’ll do the opposite of that trade with you if you just want to mix it up.
8/20/2020 9:59 PM
the odl thread is just hours old and we already have someone crying about evals.
8/20/2020 10:03 PM
Posted by bds9992 on 8/20/2020 9:44:00 PM (view original):

2. Do not calculate pick times during a pandemic, please. You ought to know why.
1. Fine, but you can’t comment on other teams either.

2. People can do what they want. In Savage, multiple people including yourself, calculated pick times because people wanted them. I don’t think anyone has the intention to calculate pick times here, but they are free to do so if they wish.
8/20/2020 10:03 PM
This is the ODL. This is a big boy league. All the dramatic, narcissistic, self loathing, egregiously emotional, nonsensical crap needs to to stay out of these threads. I can’t watch it play out in the second league that matters. This is where the people who want to engage in intellectual analysis who want to get better should come to because this league is the perfect distillation of SLBk in my opinion. There are plenty of high cap leagues for people who don’t care about getting better, want to focus on non-winning strategies or just complain about sim randomness.

This isn’t targeted at anyone. I’ve blocked every person who has slowly eroded my joy of coming here. There are just like 30 odd pages on nonsense in the Savage thread. I even participated at the beginning until it absolutely sucked the pleasure out of the league and almost made me quit halfway through. It stopped being fun. Keep it out of here.

Pharrop put out just an amazing team last season. He killed me. I can’t wait to read what he has to say about mine and other people’s decisions so I can get better. Thanks for agreeing to do these pharrop.

I have nothing else to say on that. Just excited for another ODL season. Maybe some over unders. Reading some evals. Seeing who does what. It’s my favorite league by far.
8/20/2020 10:10 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 8/20/2020 10:03:00 PM (view original):

2. People can do what they want. In Savage, multiple people including yourself, calculated pick times because people wanted them. I don’t think anyone has the intention to calculate pick times here, but they are free to do so if they wish.
You misunderstand.

1. I have opted out of receiving an evaluation. This saves the evaluator time and energy, and can therefore be considered a favor. I have not opted out of commenting in a positive light on other teams. That is also a good thing.

2. There are many things you can do. Let me be very much on the record in stating that I did not want to you to calculate pick times - in fact, I objected to it immediately with a "really?" because I thought it was petty. If I said anything about "wanting to win," it was a joke against the backdrop that I usually don't win anything. That is not the same as actually wanting you to do something insensitive and narrow-minded.

Just because there are things you can do, it does not mean you should do them, or that no one would be offended or put off by them. I think you should/can be cognizant of that, whether that is what you want to do or not.
8/20/2020 10:11 PM
Posted by bds9992 on 8/20/2020 10:11:00 PM (view original):

You misunderstand.

1. I have opted out of receiving an evaluation. This saves the evaluator time and energy, and can therefore be considered a favor. I have not opted out of commenting in a positive light on other teams. That is also a good thing.

2. There are many things you can do. Let me be very much on the record in stating that I did not want to you to calculate pick times - in fact, I objected to it immediately with a "really?" because I thought it was petty. If I said anything about "wanting to win," it was a joke against the backdrop that I usually don't win anything. That is not the same as actually wanting you to do something insensitive and narrow-minded.

Just because there are things you can do, it does not mean you should do them, or that no one would be offended or put off by them. I think you should/can be cognizant of that, whether that is what you want to do or not.
1. Fine, but if someone comments on your team, don’t turn this into what you turned the Savage thread into.

2. Nah, none of that is true. Whatever. Moving on.
8/20/2020 10:13 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 8/20/2020 10:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bds9992 on 8/20/2020 10:11:00 PM (view original):

You misunderstand.

1. Fine, but if someone comments on your team, don’t turn this into what you turned the Savage thread into.

2. Nah, none of that is true. Whatever. Moving on.
1. I have opted out of said arrangement and expect everyone to respect my wishes.

2. All of that is true. Can you deny that people have been furloughed, fired, are housesitting full time, are first responders, are working in hospitals, are protesting, are having to take extra precautions that take time, are homeschooling or are homeschooled, are about to start school or have done so in certain parts of the country (did you know the South starts in early August and gets out in May?), and that life in general has changed drastically?

Is any of that debatable?
8/20/2020 10:17 PM
That has no bearing on calculating pick times nor has anyone stated they wish to do so for this draft. No more talking about it in this forum please.
8/20/2020 10:19 PM
With the new players and missing the last four drafts, I think I might continue my losing ways. Happy to be back though.
8/20/2020 10:21 PM
1|2|3...13 Next ▸
ODL 77 Discussion/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.