Posted by tangplay on 8/23/2020 2:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Guitarguy567 on 8/23/2020 2:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/23/2020 2:34:00 PM (view original):
Also, monarchies don't let the best and brightest rise to the top. It's a monarchy, so the monarch's kid, no matter how stupid, gets to rule.
Agreed! What about the system that allowed the 5 good emperors of Rome?
I'm not well-versed on every system ever used in history. I know that Democracy tends to accomplish its intended goals. The people are really ******* stupid, so we get stupid leaders like Trump.
Democracy is a great system if your voter base is informed. If uninformed, it can be a crapshoot. You can even get reality TV stars elected. If you believe Trump's election discredits the right, it seems to me you must all believe it discredits democracy in equal measure!

HRC and DJT were not even close to the two best choices to run this country. We can do better!
8/23/2020 2:54 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/23/2020 2:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Guitarguy567 on 8/23/2020 2:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dino27 on 8/23/2020 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/23/2020 2:32:00 PM (view original):

Do all McDonald's customers get to vote on who the CEO of McDonald's would be? If they did, would they elect a competent CEO?

No but they should. Yes they would.

you took the bait.
i knew you would.
If you truly believe they would, there's no use in continuing this convo. Dogmatically democratic versus dogmatically meritocratic...we will never convince each other of anything! Adieu!
I would fundamentally disagree that CEO's become CEO's out of merit.

The workers have a direct incentive to benefit themselves, so they would choose an effective CEO. Every study on worker co-ops that I have seen shows positive results.
My admittedly simple, silly example did not mean employees would be voting on the CEO, I meant customers. If you buy a burger, you get a vote about who the CEO is.
8/23/2020 2:57 PM
Posted by Guitarguy567 on 8/23/2020 2:54:00 PM (view original):
Also, monarchies don't let the best and brightest rise to the top. It's a monarchy, so the monarch's kid, no matter how stupid, gets to rule.
I'm not well-versed on every system ever used in history. I know that Democracy tends to accomplish its intended goals. The people are really ******* stupid, so we get stupid leaders like Trump.
Democracy is a great system if your voter base is informed. If uninformed, it can be a crapshoot. You can even get reality TV stars elected. If you believe Trump's election discredits the right, it seems to me you must all believe it discredits democracy in equal measure!

HRC and DJT were not even close to the two best choices to run this country. We can do better!
Bullshit.

one wasn’t the best of the democrat candidates but a good candidate.
the other was a piece of ****.

if you have bad people in a country there is no hope no matter what.

democracy is the only hope for the wishes of the people hopefully good.if not good you get hitlers and trumps.
8/23/2020 3:13 PM (edited)
Posted by Guitarguy567 on 8/23/2020 2:54:00 PM (view original):

I don't disagree with any of this. Uninformed voter bases will produce bad candidates. That's what democracy is supposed to do.

At the same time, it's better than any other system.
8/23/2020 3:35 PM
Posted by Guitarguy567 on 8/23/2020 2:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/23/2020 2:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Guitarguy567 on 8/23/2020 2:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dino27 on 8/23/2020 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/23/2020 2:32:00 PM (view original):

Do all McDonald's customers get to vote on who the CEO of McDonald's would be? If they did, would they elect a competent CEO?

No but they should. Yes they would.

you took the bait.
i knew you would.
If you truly believe they would, there's no use in continuing this convo. Dogmatically democratic versus dogmatically meritocratic...we will never convince each other of anything! Adieu!
I would fundamentally disagree that CEO's become CEO's out of merit.

The workers have a direct incentive to benefit themselves, so they would choose an effective CEO. Every study on worker co-ops that I have seen shows positive results.
My admittedly simple, silly example did not mean employees would be voting on the CEO, I meant customers. If you buy a burger, you get a vote about who the CEO is.
Wouldn't that give CEOs an even larger incentive to **** over workers?

I would prefer that to the dictatorship in the workplace we have now, but ****, still isn't that good.
8/23/2020 3:36 PM
Dino, as evidence of the historical connections I was making earlier: https://twitter.com/BGOnTheScene/status/1297421944799686658?s=09
8/23/2020 5:56 PM
Not sure what this is supposed to prove.
8/23/2020 6:14 PM
Those protesters are the worst of the worst. This movement is about destroying America.
8/23/2020 6:19 PM
From my angle, I just see spoiled (white) children who have probably never worked a day in their life and do not know how good they have it. The type of person that is alien to the feeling of gratitude. if you could be born in any time and place in the history of human civilization, you could do a lot worse than the PNW in the 21st century.
8/23/2020 6:42 PM
Moron they are fighting for the rights of others.

hypocritical evangelical haters oppose the true teachings of Jesus.
8/23/2020 6:46 PM
The only violent people were outsiders big chunk of proud goys and trump supporting agitators.

the peaceful protestors are some of the best people we got...god thanks them.
8/23/2020 6:49 PM
with trump like govts and turmoil you get some spill over violence. It comes with the territory then trump uses that to deflect from the reason for the masses protesting.
8/23/2020 6:52 PM
Don't you think you're overreacting somewhat? Do you see the contradiction in highlighting the fact that these are spoiled white children but also they are destroying America?

When I see that video, I see a bunch of people legally protesting. It doesn't affect me at all.
8/23/2020 6:52 PM
Perhaps, but the guillotine should be read as a threatening symbol.
8/23/2020 6:59 PM
It effects me I’m glad I’m proud of them for caring and I have hope that there is not just apathy same reasons it bothers the racism deniers.
8/23/2020 6:59 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.