I agree
8/23/2020 2:00 PM
Posted by Guitarguy567 on 8/23/2020 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Originally the Senate in this country was appointed, not elected. I would favor going back to that system in some form. Put the best and brightest , non-career politicians in that appointed assembly. A council of elders if you will. Elon Musk, Maya Angelou, Warren Buffet, a number of prominent historians, economists etc. The cream does not rise when it has to appeal to the masses. Example: Taco Bell was voted best Mexican restaurant in the US. Fast fact: no, it's actually not. But that's democracy! Mitch McConnell, I will readily admit, is Taco Bell. Not Moscow Mitch, Taco Mitch.
If that’s a reflection on what I say is a dumb country I understand the sentiment.
8/23/2020 2:03 PM
The average person is uninformed, yes. I could read 1000 books on history and political theory, my vote would still count the same as a meth head who showed up at the polls accidently, but still decided to vote. Democracy is not fair to the best. And the best are always in the minority! Now you're getting it Dino, but keep going, keep thinking!
8/23/2020 2:07 PM
The best should rule, and the best will make things the best for everyone else too! More times than not at least. The question is, what is the most efficient way to get the best to rule? Is American Democracy the most efficient system to ensure that the cream rises? I'd say no! What's the answer? Not saying I have one, but it's fun to think about. Why accept the gospel we've been given when we can write a new one! Yes,yes, yes!
8/23/2020 2:10 PM
Posted by Guitarguy567 on 8/23/2020 2:07:00 PM (view original):
The average person is uninformed, yes. I could read 1000 books on history and political theory, my vote would still count the same as a meth head who showed up at the polls accidently, but still decided to vote. Democracy is not fair to the best. And the best are always in the minority! Now you're getting it Dino, but keep going, keep thinking!
I get it when it comes to knowing how dumb this country is but I’m no fascist or elitist. Sorry.

the decent and smart people must out vote the trumper scum and other republicans.
8/23/2020 2:22 PM
Do all McDonald's customers get to vote on who the CEO of McDonald's would be? If they did, would they elect a competent CEO?

Questions to ponder.

While this CEO in question was not democratically elected, he/she still has incentive to run McDonald's well, to make it a success, to ensure a good customer experience.

Take that example and let's ponder. What if the president was something like the CEO of America? The citizens seen more as Customers of America. Which, heck, our tax dollars prove we are.

Now lets expand on this.
8/23/2020 2:27 PM

Do all McDonald's customers get to vote on who the CEO of McDonald's would be? If they did, would they elect a competent CEO?

No but they should. Yes they would.

8/23/2020 2:32 PM
geetarguy exposed and denounced.
another one bites the dust.

god save the queen.
8/23/2020 2:32 PM
CEOs have an incentive to make profit for themselves and the company, NOT to benefit the workers.

So in your hypothetical scenario, America would be incentivised to build GDP and such at the expense of happiness of the people.
8/23/2020 2:33 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/23/2020 2:32:00 PM (view original):

you took the bait.
i knew you would.
8/23/2020 2:33 PM
Also, monarchies don't let the best and brightest rise to the top. It's a monarchy, so the monarch's kid, no matter how stupid, gets to rule.
8/23/2020 2:34 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/23/2020 2:34:00 PM (view original):
Also, monarchies don't let the best and brightest rise to the top. It's a monarchy, so the monarch's kid, no matter how stupid, gets to rule.
Agreed! What about the system that allowed the 5 good emperors of Rome?
8/23/2020 2:37 PM
Posted by dino27 on 8/23/2020 2:33:00 PM (view original):

you took the bait.
i knew you would.
If you truly believe they would, there's no use in continuing this convo. Dogmatically democratic versus dogmatically meritocratic...we will never convince each other of anything! Adieu!
8/23/2020 2:39 PM
Posted by Guitarguy567 on 8/23/2020 2:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/23/2020 2:34:00 PM (view original):
Agreed! What about the system that allowed the 5 good emperors of Rome?
I'm not well-versed on every system ever used in history. I know that Democracy tends to accomplish its intended goals. The people are really ******* stupid, so we get stupid leaders like Trump.
8/23/2020 2:51 PM
Posted by Guitarguy567 on 8/23/2020 2:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dino27 on 8/23/2020 2:33:00 PM (view original):

you took the bait.
i knew you would.
If you truly believe they would, there's no use in continuing this convo. Dogmatically democratic versus dogmatically meritocratic...we will never convince each other of anything! Adieu!
I would fundamentally disagree that CEO's become CEO's out of merit.

The workers have a direct incentive to benefit themselves, so they would choose an effective CEO. Every study on worker co-ops that I have seen shows positive results.
8/23/2020 2:52 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10|11 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.