RIP to a legend.

I was reading the NYT obit and came across this tidbit about why Seaver left the Mets:

Seaver was having a good early season in 1977; he was 7-3 in mid-June as rumors swirled that he would be traded to Cincinnati.

Yet he was just about to sign a satisfying contract extension with the Mets when Young wrote a column suggesting that Seaver’s wife, Nancy, was jealous that Nolan Ryan, a former Met who had been traded to the California Angels (now the Los Angeles Angels), was earning more money than her husband.

Outraged at the mention of his wife and suspicious that Mets management was the source of Young’s story, Seaver refused to sign his contract and demanded a trade.

In what The New York Times called “one of the blockbuster trades in baseball history,” he was immediately sent to the Reds for four players of far lesser stature: Pat Zachry, Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson and Dan Norman.

“Dick Young dragged my wife and family into it, and I couldn’t take that,” Seaver said after the trade. “I called the Mets and said, ‘That’s it, it’s all over.’ This alliance or whatever it is — this alliance between Young and the chairman of the board — is stacked against me.”

The deal, which became known among Met fans as the Midnight Massacre — two other Mets, Dave Kingman and Mike Phillips were traded the same night — has been considered by many as the lowest point — or as The New York Post has called it, “the darkest day” — in Mets history.

Looked up Dick Young on Wikipedia. He was elected to the writers' wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1978. Also:

The Sporting News described his career arc: "Though Young's best work was on the baseball beat, his most controversial and memorable writing came later, as a general columnist. He became the Archie Bunker of the keyboard, voicing populist rage." For several years after his 1987 death, the Village Voice ran a parody of a late-period Young column in its sports section, railing at all comers underneath the tag "Dateline: Hell."

Ha.

9/3/2020 5:10 AM
Kind of a fun article here, by Bill Simmons, about Seaver's aborted comeback attempt with the Mets in '87:
http://grantland.com/features/do-i-have-anything-left/

Although the dateline shown there is October 2004, the David Cone references at the bottom of the article clearly refer to the 2001 season, which is when I think the piece was actually written.
9/3/2020 6:00 AM
Definitely a fun article. It's a shame Seaver didn't get into any post-season games with the Red Sox in '86.
9/3/2020 6:57 AM
Dick Young was a total piece of ****, my dad dropped his subscription to the Daily News because of him, got the NY Post instead, then Young went there after killing "greedy" free agents for years
9/3/2020 7:20 AM
I got to see Tom-Tom every 4th day growing up in NY during the Seaver era. My mom was a die hard Mets fan and we’d watch her Mets every night.

He came up in 1967 when the Mets were the laughing stock of baseball since their birth in 1962. He won ROY with a 16-13 record if I recall correctly. Seaver gave Mets fans hope and in short time with Jerry Koosman, Jon Matlack, and what could/should have been Nolan Ryan a formidable starting rotation.

I saw him in person several times, but the one I remember was in April of 1969. My dad took me to see Fergie Jenkins and the Cubs vs. Tom Terrific. Cubs won & I recall Fergie & light hitting Don Kessinger homering that night.

I remember watching on TV lose a perfect game when a nobody Don Qualls blooped a single in the 9th in July, 1969.

Another vivid memory I had of him was the following season pitching against the 2nd year Padres. I remember watching him mow down 19 Padres including 10 in a row getting ex-Dodger Al Ferrara twice.

I recall the public thrashings from Dick Young in The Daily News as he was a shill for Donald M.Grant who ran the Mets. June 15, 1977 is a day that lives in infamy for Mets fans.

I am a Dodger fan, but watching the Mets growing up on Channel 9 with my parents will always be remembered fondly. RIP #41.
9/3/2020 8:18 AM (edited)
Farewell Tom Seaver. Sad day.
9/3/2020 5:33 PM
the story i heard is a guy hit tom terrific up for a autograph in line at a thing and tom says "how many wins"

guy was like "315 maybe"

mr terrific hangover wrote "315" and signed it

9/3/2020 5:58 PM
I don't know why nobody started a tribute league.Id hop on it in a second if it's 120 or less
9/4/2020 7:20 PM
then do it i'm in

i wonder if guy'd said "310"

would he put his tom hancock
9/4/2020 7:24 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.