I Do Not Want To Live Topic

Posted by tangplay on 9/10/2020 10:49:00 AM (view original):
It stands for Watch and Pray. It's a song about following Jesus.
This made me laugh.
9/10/2020 11:28 AM
Yup. Priceless how ignorant some folks are.

Music IS powerful. It unites people like no other thing.
BUT, you "are what you eat". Listen to garbage you become a big pile of it!

The fact that our Canadian loudmouth thinks all music since the 50's and 60's is garbage just reveals his own ignorance.
He must not be able to discern good musical art from garbage. THAT'S on him!!

Let's see. Last night's listening (in order) was.
1. Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers "Native Heart"
2. Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit -- "Reunion"
3. Robert Plant -- "Mighty Rearranger"

ALL extremely wonderful and ALL expressions of a joyful noise. ART, not crap.

The night before was even better (4 discs, not 3)
1. Glen Phillips --- "Mr. Lemons"
2. Amanda Shires --- "To The Sunset"
3. The Pretenders -- "Breaking Up The Concrete"
4. Drive By Truckers -- "The Unraveling"

The new DBT's (Patterson Hood LIVES in Portland!!) is thematically all about NOW in America! The unraveling of our democracy.
Every right winger everywhere should listen to it. Carefully!!
IF they can handle the truth! Because it nails their stupidity and OURS as a Country and as a people.

I'd bet significant money that our Canadian pal hasn't the intelligence our courage to know of and listen to ANY of these poets/artists.

I'll end this rant with a lyric from an old song written by my friend Danny O'Keefe.
He wrote this in the early 1970's (after all the turmoils and riots, etc of 1968).
It's from a song entitled "Runaway"

The line goes--------- "Our children will lead us, or leave us behind"

I've always held that line with me..........all these years.
I've tried to heed it. Mostly it's worked well.
9/10/2020 12:24 PM
as a big music fan, I have to post something here. I'm not even a little familiar with whatever WAP is, and I don't care. I'm sure I'm not the target group for it anyway. If you think all music today is about hatred and rebellion, you are listening to the wrong music (at lest the hatred part of it), A lot of today's music could be considered about rebellion, but that is not a bad thing. Much of what is going on in the world today should be rebelled against.
Bob, I approve of your listening for the last couple of days.
9/10/2020 12:41 PM
TY wylie. Funny thing is, I noticed last night that every disc I listened to had at least one song that encouraged "personal enlightenment" or were positive reaffirmations of human life and love. Here's just one example (used because it's short).

From RCPM's Native Heart CD --- Here is "So May You"

So may you adore every fool around you
So may you let Hate never confound you
So may you let only love surround you.

It will Never Be the Same again.

So may you let your heart out of its cage
So may you be young at every age
So may you know Joy & never rage
It will never be the same again

As love aligns my heart and mind
I find my kind.
So may You.

As love aligns your heart and mind
You'll find your kind.
So may you.

As love aligns your heart and mind
You'll find our kind.

We'll find our kind
So may you.

The same CD has another song called "Viva Love" The CD is from 2017.
Certainly since the 50's and 60's.

On the other hand the Amanda Shires CD has a song called "Welcome to the Shitshow".
Also quite topical these days.

Those that claim there is no great music or musicians anymore have just closed their minds and their ears.
Thus, they are by definition............IGNORANT.

9/10/2020 1:13 PM
Solid album list, bob

9/10/2020 1:25 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 9/10/2020 12:25:00 PM (view original):
Yup. Priceless how ignorant some folks are.

Music IS powerful. It unites people like no other thing.
BUT, you "are what you eat". Listen to garbage you become a big pile of it!

The fact that our Canadian loudmouth thinks all music since the 50's and 60's is garbage just reveals his own ignorance.
He must not be able to discern good musical art from garbage. THAT'S on him!!

Let's see. Last night's listening (in order) was.
1. Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers "Native Heart"
2. Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit -- "Reunion"
3. Robert Plant -- "Mighty Rearranger"

ALL extremely wonderful and ALL expressions of a joyful noise. ART, not crap.

The night before was even better (4 discs, not 3)
1. Glen Phillips --- "Mr. Lemons"
2. Amanda Shires --- "To The Sunset"
3. The Pretenders -- "Breaking Up The Concrete"
4. Drive By Truckers -- "The Unraveling"

The new DBT's (Patterson Hood LIVES in Portland!!) is thematically all about NOW in America! The unraveling of our democracy.
Every right winger everywhere should listen to it. Carefully!!
IF they can handle the truth! Because it nails their stupidity and OURS as a Country and as a people.

I'd bet significant money that our Canadian pal hasn't the intelligence our courage to know of and listen to ANY of these poets/artists.

I'll end this rant with a lyric from an old song written by my friend Danny O'Keefe.
He wrote this in the early 1970's (after all the turmoils and riots, etc of 1968).
It's from a song entitled "Runaway"

The line goes--------- "Our children will lead us, or leave us behind"

I've always held that line with me..........all these years.
I've tried to heed it. Mostly it's worked well.
Some real good songs here! Jason Isbell is one of my personal fav songwriters.
9/10/2020 1:27 PM
As a working musician for over 30 years I can assure you that lostandfugged is WAY out of his depth and has ZERO clue about music, especially the industry and HOW it actually works. If you want to be a bitter old man about music and say ludicrous bullshit it just shows that you’re exceptionally LAZY.
9/10/2020 2:26 PM
We should have moved this to Dino's music thread but you never know when a music chat will erupt......... hahaha.

I'll double post this one there too.

TY all for the nice comments.
It's great to find out there ARE some people with musical taste.

So....... I listen a LOT. Have for 40+ years.
Used to mix live sound, managed a band, ran a music store, but mostly I'm just a huge fan of music played (and sung) well.
And the songs. I believe it all starts with the song and that the performer should be a "tool" used by the muse to empower the song.

Anyway, enough of the highbrow crap. Let me say that anyone (of a certain age---hear me boomer!) who admits that they don't like the Beatles has already expressed an unarguable lack of appreciation for musical art and creation. PERIOD!!!

Last point.
The Pretenders--- Break Up the Concrete was a huge and VERY pleasant surprise to me.
It's not that I don't dig Chrissy Hyne/Pretenders--- I do----Loved all the early stuff and still listen to Get Close quite a bit. The version of Hendrix's Room Full of Mirrors on that release is still my pick for the best version of that song!! Anyway, I hadn't paid attention for the last decade or so and then I randomly grabbed Break Up the Concrete at a CD store (remember them??) a week or so ago and finally popped it in!!! Fantastic.

It's from 2008 and it even has Pedal Steel guitar on it. It rocks like hell but ADDS that early american barroom twang-rock approach to wonderful effect. A few of the songs might even be termed country-ish or certainly Country Rock like Whiskeytown or early Bottle Rockets or something. I've only heard it once but I was really kind of blown away. Best of the recent CD's I've heard and that says quite a bit as I've been on a good run lately.
Sorry for the ramble.
But check out Break Up the Concrete if you get a spare hour! It'll be worth it. Promise!
9/10/2020 2:46 PM
I'll have to check that one out, Bob..always been a Pretenders/Crissie Hynde fan. Did you ever check out Bob Schneider like I suggested?
9/10/2020 3:37 PM
not yet except thru youtube which is NOT how I like to listen.
9/10/2020 4:50 PM
So....... I listen a LOT. Have for 40+ years.
Used to mix live sound, managed a band, ran a music store, but mostly I'm just a huge fan of music played (and sung) well.

I should have known. Our attitudes seem somewhat similar. Things you only get from a life dependent on music.
9/10/2020 5:59 PM
Well, bless Ussen, I'm not dependent on music to make money!!!
Was for awhile, but "no more"............now I'm quoting Shakey..........

Bottom by Niko Bolas hahaha
9/10/2020 7:32 PM
Posted by Uofa2 on 9/10/2020 10:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 9/10/2020 10:24:00 AM (view original):
WTH mentioned gangster rap? Do a simple search and educate your stupid azz, instead of repeatedly making yourself look so dumb and foolish.
Lol the post above yours, good lord what an embarrassment
You have to blind as a bat not to see the meaning there. Again, you lack wisdom.

Enough. Meanwhile, go serve your master
9/10/2020 8:35 PM
is this a nine inch nails reference
9/10/2020 8:41 PM
Posted by rsp777 on 9/10/2020 2:26:00 PM (view original):
As a working musician for over 30 years I can assure you that lostandfugged is WAY out of his depth and has ZERO clue about music, especially the industry and HOW it actually works. If you want to be a bitter old man about music and say ludicrous bullshit it just shows that you’re exceptionally LAZY.
Not bitter at all. You think you are the only one in the room with a brain. I get that. It is ludicrous b.s. because it degrades that which you love. I am not impressed with this 30 years thing. It just makes you another 'long hair'... tell us, how come so many of them die so young? How come so many of these upright citizens end up in rehab? Or taking their own lives? How come the majority of them are married at least 4 times before age fifty? Those are your idols?

It has much to do what what is in their hearts, and it is the meditations of your heart that form your your whole attitude.. because the idle words you speak come from the abundance of what's in it. The words you speak actually determine the course of your life. It is very true that as a man thinks in his heart, so is he. You won't understand that unless you think on it for a while.

9/10/2020 8:44 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
I Do Not Want To Live Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.