Pitch Count Settings Topic

I know you use stamina to set pitch counts.......I would like to hear what some of you set the pitch counts for at different stamina points.....
9/18/2020 12:09 PM
Link some players and ill tell you what id do with them. I run 4 man staffs alsmot always.
9/18/2020 12:46 PM
For starting pitchers in a 5-man rotation, I use:
For pitchers with DUR 26 or below, or who are at the back of the rotation: TPC = (DUR/20) * ST rounded down, and MPC = TPC + 5
For good pitchers with DUR 27 or higher: TPC = (1.3* ST), and MPC = (DUR/20) * ST rounded down

I have no meaningful formula for relievers.
9/18/2020 12:56 PM
I like to run a 4 man rotation w/guys who have higher dur (30+). I'll set MPC to about 20 over their stamina. For relievers I set to about their stamina. Higher stamina (30/40) I might put over that.

The main thing I discovered recently was how to use TPC. I realized in the playoffs last season when my relievers hit too much (despite having aggressive PH settings), that I put my TPC way too high. Managers really try and get pitchers to hit that, even if it means not pinch hitting in vital situations lol. For starters I'll lower this to about 20 below MPC. For relievers I'll set this to 15 or 20 for everybody. I linked one of my relievers below. Last season he pitched 1.6 innings per outing with higher TPC. I lowered TPC (keeping MPC the same) this season and he averaged 1.25 per game. And it didn't take a hit on his innings pitched because he could pitch more often.

Player Profile: Jim Stokes - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
9/18/2020 1:44 PM
Posted by pray4pro on 9/18/2020 1:44:00 PM (view original):
I like to run a 4 man rotation w/guys who have higher dur (30+). I'll set MPC to about 20 over their stamina. For relievers I set to about their stamina. Higher stamina (30/40) I might put over that.

The main thing I discovered recently was how to use TPC. I realized in the playoffs last season when my relievers hit too much (despite having aggressive PH settings), that I put my TPC way too high. Managers really try and get pitchers to hit that, even if it means not pinch hitting in vital situations lol. For starters I'll lower this to about 20 below MPC. For relievers I'll set this to 15 or 20 for everybody. I linked one of my relievers below. Last season he pitched 1.6 innings per outing with higher TPC. I lowered TPC (keeping MPC the same) this season and he averaged 1.25 per game. And it didn't take a hit on his innings pitched because he could pitch more often.

Excellent observation here from an NL team perspective. Nice job.

My pitch settings depend on the makeup of the Staff. Sometimes I only have two or three true starting pitchers and a bunch of relief pitching. Or, I have enough starters, but they are weak against one split or the other so I try to hide them beind opposite handed starting pitchers.

Generally speaking, my pitch settings are set to (stamina +20) unless the durability is below 24. If the durability is 23 or lower I will go (stamina+10), if the durability is 20 or below, then pitch count equals stamina.

9/18/2020 4:23 PM
Id set Player Profile: Jim Stokes - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports at 30 min and 35 max with a pull of 2 and at 99 % .
9/18/2020 5:03 PM
Posted by brianp87 on 9/18/2020 5:03:00 PM (view original):
Id set Player Profile: Jim Stokes - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports at 30 min and 35 max with a pull of 2 and at 99 % .
+ And classify all of your relievers as Set-Up A so he gets in as many games as possible. (Oh, I guess it's a moot point until next season. Didn't notice the injury. That sucks).
9/18/2020 6:50 PM (edited)
Posted by bjschumacher on 9/18/2020 6:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by brianp87 on 9/18/2020 5:03:00 PM (view original):
+ And classify all of your relievers as Set-Up A so he gets in as many games as possible. (Oh, I guess it's a moot point until next season. Didn't notice the injury. That sucks).
I set them all to sa unless I have to use a bad one then the bad one to mopup
9/18/2020 6:57 PM
thanks for the responses guys.....any other formulas that are used would be appreciates. Just an note, I have never really taken durability into account in formulas for starters, but I see I have probably been wrong.
9/19/2020 8:05 AM
It was brutal. Lost him last game of the season. Had just clinched the bye the game before so didn’t really have time to change/thought I’d be ok for a game. 3 games earlier I had just lost one of my best starters too. All with 20/20.

But yeah, I run him SUA along with 4 other guys. I usually have a mop up or two and maybe a LRA. I can’t see the see his settings anymore with the Injury, but it was probably something like 15/35/3.

One other thing on the NL aspect. With the lower TPC he batted 13 times in 100 games (.13/game) As opposed to 18 times in 64 last season (.28). Not a huge difference, but across all relievers you can probably get a few at bats back.
9/19/2020 8:10 AM
I'm curious how everyone decides what Call Bullpen setting to use. I typically go STA+20 for TPC and STA+DUR for MPC, which seems to work pretty well, but the Call Bullpen setting has always kinda stumped me.
9/19/2020 5:14 PM
I use 1 for studs 2 for the rest.
9/19/2020 11:07 PM
Posted by brianp87 on 9/19/2020 11:07:00 PM (view original):
Same, except that I'll use 3 for my SP5 if I have a good deep bullpen and an average-ish SP5.
9/20/2020 7:45 AM
Posted by pray4pro on 9/18/2020 1:44:00 PM (view original):

Curious if anyone sets relievers TPC to None and a normal MPC?
9/21/2020 8:59 PM
Posted by brianp87 on 9/19/2020 11:07:00 PM (view original):
Mostly the same here as well. It's rare that I have guys on my MLB squad that are going to really hurt me so most of the time, my guys are set to 1 or 2. Even if one of them is having a down season, I will just switch him to mopup instead of changing his pull rating.
9/22/2020 6:16 PM
12 Next ▸
Pitch Count Settings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.