Announcing GD Analyst companion/helper app for GD Topic

For those who know ez37 in Wilkinson and Heisman worlds, I am his son and we coach together.

I've had some time on my hands lately and decided to build another helper app for GD.

You may access the app at https://gdanalyst.herokuapp.com

Brief synopsis of the main features:
  1. Maps all schools in a World+Division showing human and Sim coaches on a map view.
  2. Maps a chosen school with distance away from all human coaches and map of all human coaches in that World+Division.
  3. Enter a recruit ID and it will map the recruit showing distance to other human coached teams in that world+division.
  4. From a school you can view game results based on the school's schedule. When you click on a single game, it will analyze the play by play to produce output that is somewhat similar to what Yatzr's Game Analyzer tool does, except it does it all within your web browser so it will run just about anywhere. There are also buttons to grab ALL games or just games against HUMAN opponents (Note that each game takes 3-4 seconds to analyze so be prepared to wait 30-60+ seconds if there are many games to analyze). The table view can be customized. You can reorder and hide/show columns. You can multi-sort columns. You can filter columns using the filter options at the top. You can export the data into Excel or CSV format.
Few additional comments:
  • At the moment, coaching changes are updated every day around ~5am EST.
  • Locations of schools and recruits are not guaranteed to match exactly what GD is reporting, so just be mindful of that. In most cases it should be very close, but I have come across a few instances where it is not.
  • The game analysis is best-effort and also not guaranteed to be 100% accurate. Some folks in Wilkinson have been beta testing for a week or two now and I haven't seen any major complaints (yet). It does not capture any results from the kicking game (punting, FGs, kickoffs, returns), and for plays involving a Penalty it will mark the play as a Penalty, but it won't process the resulting yards gained/lost from the play.
Hope you like it!

If you would like to reach out directly about the app, you can send email to [email protected]

- Ed

10/14/2020 9:26 AM
If successful, you may single handedly double the human population of GD(dwarves and goblins not included :)
10/14/2020 3:01 PM
I will take a look later, but if it does what you say it does ....amazing!

Edit: WIS should be sending you some cash ...or let your dad play for free. Some great stuff here.
10/14/2020 4:00 PM (edited)
University of Nevada and West Virginia Univ locations were incorrect. I just fixed them. I'm sure there are other school location mistakes sprinkled throughout. If and when you find a location error with a school, please just let me know and I will fix.
10/14/2020 4:13 PM
I just upgraded the resources used to host this app because I noticed increased usage was resulting in timeouts/errors. Will have to see how much this increase computing power ends up costing in real $'s . . .
10/14/2020 4:47 PM
If you see timeouts/errors when trying the game analyzer and using the ALL games button or HUMAN only button, I suggest don't use for now (I may have to disable those buttons). Just go for single game results should help avoid the timeout/errors. I will be working to find a better solution in the meantime . . .
10/14/2020 5:42 PM
Perhaps you should be charging a user fee. $5 a month? At minimum, you should be breaking even. Maybe even make a bit of profit.
10/14/2020 7:11 PM
I was thinking the same as realist. Some kind of small charge that wouldn't hurt users but would at least break you even. Could be one time charge or the option of monthly or one time. And if you were to make a few bucks on it and people were happy with it what would be wrong in that ?
10/15/2020 5:31 AM
I would do a one time charge, but not a monthly fee, bhaz gets ad money to cover his costs for GUESS/GDReports.

10/15/2020 6:56 AM
I'm not a big fan of the ad option. I know people will send bhaz some money over PayPal/Venmo if they so choose. Right now, since I am just getting started, I will see how it goes and see how I can optimize what I have built. If I can get it back to lower tier offering that would be great. Just need to learn a few things first so I can write better code.
10/15/2020 10:57 AM
I see you are using heroku. Was it easy to work with?
10/15/2020 12:39 PM
Many thanks! I've been doing this manually with google maps. Yours is a huge improvement!
10/15/2020 6:36 PM
Posted by wdfox on 10/15/2020 12:39:00 PM (view original):
I see you are using heroku. Was it easy to work with?
Getting the app running on Heroku was pretty simple. Lots of good documentation out there to work through the details. And simple to connect up to many other third party apps. I have some alerts being sent to Slack, and I have logging being sent to a free tier of Papertrail, all without writing any code.
10/16/2020 9:08 AM
Production system gdanalyst.herokuapp.com now has these changes:
  1. USA location fix. Some California recruits were showing up in Canada.
  2. Map distance circles are now 180 miles, 360 miles, and 1400 miles to align with the recruiting cost increases that happen at each.
  3. The School dropdown has a search box.
10/18/2020 12:56 PM
Awesome!

Dumb question...where do I find a recruit’s ID number?
10/18/2020 5:30 PM
12345 Next ▸
Announcing GD Analyst companion/helper app for GD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.