I understand the basics of how rookies in open leagues work - my question is about their defense. Is their defense actually converted to a 10 point scale, or is the number we see just a mask for the defense rating of the real player they're based off of?

For example, if two different players had a real D rating of 33 and 37, but both showed up as rookies with a D rating of 3, do they both perform as if they have the same exact defense? (if we normalized for STL, BLK, and Foul rates, since those impact defensive performance as well)
Or do they retain their true D values, so we would expect the 37 to be slightly better on defense?

Mostly asking just out of curiosity, but it could have an impact on optimal defensive matchups in edge cases.
10/24/2020 12:28 PM
Posted by raggedclaws on 10/24/2020 12:28:00 PM (view original):
I understand the basics of how rookies in open leagues work - my question is about their defense. Is their defense actually converted to a 10 point scale, or is the number we see just a mask for the defense rating of the real player they're based off of?

For example, if two different players had a real D rating of 33 and 37, but both showed up as rookies with a D rating of 3, do they both perform as if they have the same exact defense? (if we normalized for STL, BLK, and Foul rates, since those impact defensive performance as well)
Or do they retain their true D values, so we would expect the 37 to be slightly better on defense?

Mostly asking just out of curiosity, but it could have an impact on optimal defensive matchups in edge cases.
The 1-10 ratings mean nothing. They are real players and the stats that are used are from the real player.
10/24/2020 12:34 PM
Got it, thanks! Obviously I know that it's a real player, I just wasn't sure if any of those 1-10 numbers really meant anything, like if they superseded the original D values. Good to know that they don't.
10/24/2020 12:46 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.