BIDEN: Damn Fine President Today Topic

Posted by laramiebob on 12/21/2022 10:30:00 AM (view original):
Matt. Please weigh in (for me) on the "claim"/fact that Jesus had siblings. A couple of bros and a couple of sisters. Apparently the actual names of 2(?) of the brothers are known. I had never heard of this in all my years (until recently).............what say you?
If you genuinely want to seek or know more about Christ that's a discussion I'm fine having but I'm also not going to take the bait and have it watered down with whataboutism insincerity. Did he or did he not have biological siblings ? Would my answer as I know it lead you to pursue him further ?
12/21/2022 10:54 AM
Posted by laramiebob on 12/21/2022 10:28:00 AM (view original):
"...for what he gave us to write down."

What? does this mean? US??
What do you mean, us?
A select few white men? What?

Why is it always us? What makes us so daggone special?
Why not them?
Why isn't their spirituality as good as ours/yours/mine?

It's arrogance. Pure and simple.
And that kind of thinking was the primary cause of OUR inability to learn from those who came before.
And what dooms us to self-destruction.

IMO, of course.
"Us" being I believe original believers, who based on their geography probly weren't white. Jesus probly wasn't either and I and many who are of all the different worldwide colors are ok with that. Who said anything about race ? I'd suggest you be reeeeaaally careful right about now . . .
12/21/2022 10:58 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by Mwett on 12/21/2022 10:46:00 AM (view original):

Bible was altered to fit the Christian narrative (obviously not by Christians...).

Thanx for including end tag; very fair of you. It's tough enough when doubters or worse fight our whataboutisms for us.

I subscribe to the melting pot of Christian Protestantism which unfortunately and routinely is pointed at by others as having enough of its own in-fighting with different denominations. What I haven't and won't at this time is introduce Catholicism into the mix which is part of what you reference. Completely different ballgame which adds to the confusion. While there's many good Catholic people (as there are in many other beliefs) and some do claim Christ, corporately and led by their heads of state even while initially having good intentions, turns out to be a disservice of apples Christ from the heart to oranges by deeds and works. When people talk about walking away from the church, how many happy Christians do you come across relatively speaking compared to generally stern and gloomy Catholics ?
You edited the quote...

It is a well-accepted fact that the King James Bible was altered to fit the Christian narrative (obviously not by Christians...).

When I say (obviously not by Christians) I mean to say while it is a well-established fact, obviously this is not well-accepted among Christians.

I 100% disagree with the concept that having honest, civil discourse concerning the Bible while non-believers are "in the room" is inherently bad.

I think one of the things that drive non-believers away more than almost any other single item is the refusal of "Christians" to intelligently discuss legitimate and well reasoned objections they have concerning the Bible, it's authenticity, and (real or imagined) contradictions and inconsistencies.
12/21/2022 11:09 AM
Honest civil discourse is what I offered, yet by its definition is something that's not of interest by more than a few in this forum, nor my Christ, only in attempting to trick or trip us up. But knock yourself out with a merry seminary festival but I already know it'll lead to nowhere but a lot of dumb disagreements like everything else around here and 0 prospects of actually winning or flipping anyone. I have enough Bible study in my life with like-minded individuals not trying to tear each other down but edify and build each other up to not have to fight the lnf or doug fight with those nowhere remotely near interested in honesty and civility.
12/21/2022 11:47 AM
Posted by Mwett on 12/21/2022 11:47:00 AM (view original):
Honest civil discourse is what I offered, yet by its definition is something that's not of interest by more than a few in this forum, nor my Christ, only in attempting to trick or trip us up. But knock yourself out with a merry seminary festival but I already know it'll lead to nowhere but a lot of dumb disagreements like everything else around here and 0 prospects of actually winning or flipping anyone. I have enough Bible study in my life with like-minded individuals not trying to tear each other down but edify and build each other up to not have to fight the lnf or doug fight with those nowhere remotely near interested in honesty and civility.
Why must any debate/friendly discussion be about "lead(ing) somewhere", which I can only imagine means you successfully converting a sinner.
Why can't the enlightenment be enough, be a good result?

My question to you about Jesus bros and sisters wasn't bait. It was a sincere question about lineage. I recently learned that the DNA obtained (somehow) from the Shroud of Turan (sp?) is NOT Jewish. In matter of fact it is Druze. One explanation of this would be that a sister of Jesus married into the Druze.

Other, more obvious, explanations would be, Jesus was Druze?
The Shroud is fake? The individual wrapped with the shroud was NOT Jesus?

Less obvious explanations are numerous.
One of Jesus "family members" (brother or nephew?) was named Judas.
How crazy is that?
12/21/2022 12:47 PM
Yall my family is very Christian and I gotta say the Bible isn't the word of God, and biblical literalism is really, really dumb. Most of genesis is metaphor. It's very obvious. Come on, guys.
12/21/2022 1:51 PM
Posted by Mwett on 12/21/2022 10:58:00 AM (view original):

What do you mean, us?

Why not them?

And that kind of thinking was the primary cause of OUR inability to learn from those who came before.

IMO, of course.
"Us" being I believe original believers, who based on their geography probly weren't white. Jesus probly wasn't either and I and many who are of all the different worldwide colors are ok with that. Who said anything about race ? I'd suggest you be reeeeaaally careful right about now . . .
Lefties, I have a new commandment for you. STOP making every comment a racist thing. it gets tiring

and have a very Merry Christmas
12/25/2022 12:50 AM
Jesus had 4 brothers, and they were named James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Not Judas Iscariot)

12/25/2022 12:53 AM
Posted by tangplay on 12/21/2022 1:51:00 PM (view original):
Yall my family is very Christian and I gotta say the Bible isn't the word of God, and biblical literalism is really, really dumb. Most of genesis is metaphor. It's very obvious. Come on, guys.
All scripture is inspired of God. ..

It even describes the world we currently live in.. as we are at the door of the last days

You were wrongly taught.

Eg: It tells us man is sinful, by his natural nature. Pick up the latest newspaper and try to convince yourself that aint so. I says we are power hungry ego maniacs and we want to be worshipped. It says we are rebellious by nature. It also says we are lost. It also says we cannot save ourselves.. no matter how hard we try. It then tells us that Jesus Christ has paid the full penalty for your sin, and believe on him, he will give you everlasting life.

You get to choose your place in eternity. Which do you prefer? Death, and separation from God forever, or LIFE?? Forever in his presence.

I wasn't going to say that, but there y go

Once again, Merry Christmas

What determines if a family is a Christian family? Please don't say 'Because they are all Baptists, or all Catholic,' or etc
12/25/2022 1:01 AM
Posted by lostnfound74 on 12/25/2022 12:50:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Mwett on 12/21/2022 10:58:00 AM (view original):

What do you mean, us?

Why not them?

IMO, of course.
Lefties, I have a new commandment for you. STOP making every comment a racist thing. it gets tiring

and have a very Merry Christmas
how about this? you stop making everything about Jesus and lefties will stop making everything a racist thing. It gets tiring.
12/25/2022 2:55 AM
NUTJOB!! Nowhere did anyone make this about race!! My comment was ONLY about History, not race or color.
12/25/2022 8:56 AM
Posted by bruceleefan on 12/21/2022 11:10:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Mwett on 12/21/2022 10:46:00 AM (view original):

Bible was altered to fit the Christian narrative (obviously not by Christians...).

Thanx for including end tag; very fair of you. It's tough enough when doubters or worse fight our whataboutisms for us.

I subscribe to the melting pot of Christian Protestantism which unfortunately and routinely is pointed at by others as having enough of its own in-fighting with different denominations. What I haven't and won't at this time is introduce Catholicism into the mix which is part of what you reference. Completely different ballgame which adds to the confusion. While there's many good Catholic people (as there are in many other beliefs) and some do claim Christ, corporately and led by their heads of state even while initially having good intentions, turns out to be a disservice of apples Christ from the heart to oranges by deeds and works. When people talk about walking away from the church, how many happy Christians do you come across relatively speaking compared to generally stern and gloomy Catholics ?
You edited the quote...

It is a well-accepted fact that the King James Bible was altered to fit the Christian narrative (obviously not by Christians...).

When I say (obviously not by Christians) I mean to say while it is a well-established fact, obviously this is not well-accepted among Christians.

I 100% disagree with the concept that having honest, civil discourse concerning the Bible while non-believers are "in the room" is inherently bad.

I think one of the things that drive non-believers away more than almost any other single item is the refusal of "Christians" to intelligently discuss legitimate and well reasoned objections they have concerning the Bible, it's authenticity, and (real or imagined) contradictions and inconsistencies.
A well known fact? NOT SO
12/27/2022 4:37 AM
◂ Prev 1...97|98|99|100|101...140 Next ▸
BIDEN: Damn Fine President Today Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.