GD Ideas/Suggestions for the New Development Team Topic

I thought I'd start this thread because I love the game, but it could be improved.

First, I want to state that I am an average coach at best. Others will have very different ideas and takes.

I. The worlds are approximately 1/3 full. That is not good enough. Competition makes the game better. To fill worlds, I suggest that all newbies get one season free. Show them the product and hope they stick around. In addition, expand the WIS rewards in an effort to keep existing coaches. The worlds are nowhere near full. Until they are, expand on and keep the customers that you have Finally, I would not fire or demote coaches at any level. If they are paying customers, keep them at the jobs they want.

II. Make the game more competitive. Too many games end 100 to 0. That is not realistic. Even the simais should have a punchers chance to win a game. Some head-to-head series have been totally dominated by one team. That is normal, but 65 to 70 wins in a row in a series is crazy. Vanderbilt beats Tennessee or Florida once in awhile.

III. Redefine or eliminate elites. Clemson and Georgia are far better programs than at least half of the elites in the game.

IV. Bulk up tight ends, linebackers and fullbacks. 190 pounders at those positions just don't seem logical It is just a cosmetic change,,,but those things bug me.

V. Expand rosters to 70 players and allow for red shirt seasons. You could tie the red shirt option to a coaches renewal status. This practice would allow coaches who redshirt well to close the competitive gap.

VI. Put a little randomness in the game. In real life, players get injured, suspended or declared academically ineligible. With expanded rosters, these issues would demand depth on your roster.

VII. Add a transfer portal for players that had promises to them broken or are buried on depth charts. Again, it would make the game more competitive.

VIII. The game is designed on a model that is 20 years old. How about a 4 team playoff? How about a refresh of the bowl system? Many of those bowls don't even exist anymore.

IX. Realign the conferences to something that more closely resembles modern conferences. Newbies are going to appreciate a more accurate representation of the conferences. At least change the name of the WAC to the MWC and the Big East to the American.

X. Add an 11th conference at D1 to account for all the schools that are playing at that level today: FIU, FAU, Western Kentucky, Charlotte, UTSA, Old Dominion, App. State, Georgia Southern, Texas St., Georgia St., Coastal Carolina, South Alabama, Liberty, UMass, UConn, etc. No more DePaul or Marquette in D1.

XI. Add athletes to the recruiting board. If one school is recruiting a kid as a RB, but he wants to play QB, maybe he goes elsewhere. Similarly, allow position changes that work and allow players to get on the field.

Just a few ideas. I am not a programmer and I know some of this would be difficult or even impossible. I did not discuss game plans, practice plans or recruiting because my peers are way better at that stuff than I am.
11/27/2020 12:53 PM
When watching the game played out , at half time I want cheerleaders . Preferably with no panties on :)
11/27/2020 11:25 PM
I would think the four game playoffs would be less competitive because the best teams would get even better players playing two extra games. Most of the other suggestions are discussion worthy. I like not demoting coaches but it contributes to the logjam at the top schools. Maybe term limits for coaches would help diminish this (30-40 years would approximate real life.) I like the idea of realigning to modern day conferences, I would guess that's less work than a lot of suggestions.
11/28/2020 4:40 AM
I enjoy seeing threads like this, I know that at Blizzard when there were game/ expansion launches reddit would have a sticky thread for bugs and such and I think crowd sourcing ideas from you all is has a lot of merit, because you all know a lot more about GD than me (I hope to catch up fast :-) )

Thanks everyone for the passion,

- Adam

PS mojolad might be able to accommodate cheerleaders in a halftime show eventually (pretty sure it'll not going to make the top priorities, sorry), as for the NSFW request, not going to be able to do that one, sorry...
11/28/2020 3:09 PM
Adam, I(and probably many others) , would "Really" appreciate it .
11/28/2020 3:48 PM
I don't doubt that mojolad... lol
11/28/2020 11:41 PM
A "floating" or changing type of elite status would be nice, that is one of the major reasons I do not play the 1A level. Since there is no vision advantage, it would be nice to be able to take a team like Duke and make them an elite. So many coaches wait for a chance to coach at an elite school, most will take a BCS school and maybe even win a NC with them and then quit that world until an elite job opens up. How does this help the game? You have a group of good coaches lying in wait for however many seasons it takes for one of these schools to open up. Then you have coaches that continue at their schools and then think they have a shot at an elite only to have one of those coaches that left after a NC to come back and snatch up the elite. This would all be alleviated by making some kind of floating system for deciding elites. If these good coaches could make their teams an elite they would probably less inclined to leave and wait for one to open up.
11/29/2020 12:07 AM
Yes the coaches that have been out of a world should not be considered for elite. That is a definite thing that needs changed. I know I benefit from that but really does need fixing.
Another thing to fix is make elites harder to stay at. I’m very secure at Michigan but should drop in status if I don’t win a conference championship or finish top 10 every 4-5 seasons. No way a coach should be keeping a elite team for more than 20 seasons without winning at least one conference championship or a top 5 finish. I’ll hang out in the meantime and hope for things to change.
11/29/2020 1:56 AM
More formations would be nice with different personnel. I think a Pistol formation with 1RB/0TE/4WR would be very popular, also, an Ace formation with 1RB/2TE/2WR would be nice. Defensively I’d like to see a return of the 3-3-5 nickel from the early days of GD but also keep the more traditional 4-2-5 nickel.
11/29/2020 4:07 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Done plenty of that. Played 2 way : OT and DT . What they don't tell fans that generally watch the ball in a game, playing the line is "Brutal" . More violence on that line than in most of rest of the game.
And I loved it !
11/30/2020 5:14 AM
Request for developing team: Shorten Recruiting period by a couple of days. It go's on too long .
11/30/2020 11:16 AM
Posted by mojolad on 11/30/2020 11:16:00 AM (view original):
Request for developing team: Shorten Recruiting period by a couple of days. It go's on too long .
This is fine if recruiting can start on the same day of the week each season. Some coaches pick their worlds based on that. You'd have to cut a full week off (which is doable) or give extra time to something else.
11/30/2020 12:54 PM
Posted by ddollison on 11/30/2020 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mojolad on 11/30/2020 11:16:00 AM (view original):
This is fine if recruiting can start on the same day of the week each season. Some coaches pick their worlds based on that. You'd have to cut a full week off (which is doable) or give extra time to something else.
Cut the recruiting by 2 days, then add 2 days for intra-squad practice scrimmages.
11/30/2020 1:18 PM
simple, realistic things that i think wouldn't take to much program time (from a non-programmer):
  • make keeping an elite job harder. way too easy right now. (tweak job formula) -
  • transfers (use basketball dynasty's logic as a starter)
  • eliminate bowls and have a playoff (use lower division format of playoff tournament)
  • incorporate some of the various tools users have created and shared to assist with better game planning
11/30/2020 4:16 PM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
GD Ideas/Suggestions for the New Development Team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.