GD Ideas/Suggestions for the New Development Team Topic

Posted by CoachSpud on 12/14/2020 9:30:00 PM (view original):
Right now the "Knowledge Base" has the same organization as a bowl of spaghetti. Finding anything there is entirely random. That could use some help (like starting over).
I am actually starting on these, but I started with HD because I know it that best, in addition I will be building out player guides as well.
12/14/2020 10:32 PM
Could we get more game plan options? It would be nice if I could change up my playbook as often as I want to throughout the game.
12/29/2020 7:29 AM
I'm not expecting this but being able to play live would be amazing....I know you used to be able to do it in Sim League Baseball and it was a blast!
12/29/2020 7:42 AM
Ok, I've just returned from a 16 year hiatus, so I will not get into specific requests until I re-learn the game and some of the changes that have happened during my absence. However, one thing that I remember wishing I could do was to play either current or prior teams I had managed against each other. You currently have the functionally to play historical teams against one another, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to allow us to play our own teams. I believe this was brought up back in the day, but if I remember correctly the comment came up about how much HD space that would take (probably not an issue in 2020) and also the concern that if we could play at any time against other teams it would take away from the game itself. That could obviously be debated, but to allow us to at least play our own historical teams would be really cool. Could you imagine you have a Rose Bowl winning team from 3 years ago that you thought was the best team you ever had and you were able to play it against a current team your managing to see how it would do. You could even save the top teams in each division and have those available to play for other players to see how they would stack up against prior year champions. You already have the ability to do this with the engine you currently have, all it would require is to save the Final Formation and Ratings per player and allow us access to it to play against our current and former teams. One other benefit for all of us is we wouldn't have to print out the final team after each season as it would be readily available at any time.
I know this isn't going to improve the overall "playability" of the game, but it would be cool to have. Thanks for listening.
12/29/2020 11:22 AM
I think that the game is the best on this site and as good of an option as there is in fantasy. I play just a little and for the most part find it very well done. The SIMS could be improved and I believe that when winning titles the prize / credits should be much better than they are. The time periods for Recr and season seem right. I am thankful to this site and I think GD is better than it was five years ago. Some day they may even have footage of the game with all the advances in technology. The prices are also very reasonable.

The one thing I would change is that NO players for D3 would also show up in D2. I have had multiple people / players complain when coaches come down and grab guys and their cash flows are much better than ours. I will also say that these coaches have NO chance of winning anything getting players at a lower level - Simply have a group of RECR for each level -

Thanks again for the game - I believe there is still plenty to learn as my top ranked qb in the nation threw his first two picks of year in playofff game one in OT ??? Think some of my fellas stayin up too late gettin into trouble and not preparing.
12/29/2020 3:36 PM
Posted by adlorenz on 12/14/2020 2:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sirbiff on 12/12/2020 11:09:00 AM (view original):
I'm guessing pricing is out of the hands of the new staff at WIS since SportsHub or whatever owns it.
It's not, but it's the one thing that could cost me my job and could kill the game lol... so it will need to be done very carefully.
i like yer style

please do be careful
12/29/2020 5:18 PM
Posted by mfnmyers on 12/29/2020 3:36:00 PM (view original):
I think that the game is the best on this site and as good of an option as there is in fantasy. I play just a little and for the most part find it very well done. The SIMS could be improved and I believe that when winning titles the prize / credits should be much better than they are. The time periods for Recr and season seem right. I am thankful to this site and I think GD is better than it was five years ago. Some day they may even have footage of the game with all the advances in technology. The prices are also very reasonable.

The one thing I would change is that NO players for D3 would also show up in D2. I have had multiple people / players complain when coaches come down and grab guys and their cash flows are much better than ours. I will also say that these coaches have NO chance of winning anything getting players at a lower level - Simply have a group of RECR for each level -

Thanks again for the game - I believe there is still plenty to learn as my top ranked qb in the nation threw his first two picks of year in playofff game one in OT ??? Think some of my fellas stayin up too late gettin into trouble and not preparing.
Maybe no D2 players should show up for D3 either -- I bet you can see half of the D2 class at this point. :)
12/29/2020 8:07 PM
Posted by mfnmyers on 12/29/2020 3:36:00 PM (view original):

Okay. I'm just a noob. But I completely disagree with this.

I would much rather see recruiting done where there is a single pool for all levels and EVERY player is visible to EVERYONE and recruitable by everyone. You know, like the real world (and, yes, I know this is a game). I follow my real-life DII alma mater in recruiting. The same guys they are targeting are being looked at by NAIA, DIII, other DII, low DI, and the military academies and ivy leagues (I guess because of academics). The end result should be that everyone does their homework and gets the best guys they can get.

I also like the idea put forth in most single-player sims, where there is some degree of fuzziness about the ratings. I don't like that you know basically exactly what you have during recruiting. That is not realistic at all. I know a lot of people will moan about "chance". But there should be #1 guys that are complete busts and DII projected guys that end up being drafted. It happens.

This game has WAY too few human players. In fact, I would say this is the number one issue with the game. The dev team will have to make some tough choices about whether to tweak this game, or to re-imagine this game. This choice comes with the natural effect of losing some of the "old guard" players in hopes of gaining some new players. In the end, it's a business choice, not a game choice. Good luck with it devs. I'm just glad that someone is doing something, no matter what we end up with.

And for the love of everything good, talk the suits into some freaking advertising!!! No one can even find this game unless they're actively searching for it.
12/30/2020 9:08 AM
In theory fuzziness about the ratings is good. The problem is, GD's RNG is atrocious.

I agree, get rid of vision. Let team prestige/reputation give the better teams an advantage.

GD has to tap into what every RPG knows works .... relationships with other players. You build that by having human coaches playing other human coaches. Especially effective if there are a bunch of human coaches in the same conference. That's what makes the game fun and will help retain players.

The problem is, the way vision is set up, is it discourages rivalries, both in conference and out of conference scheduling. Wilkinson just went through this. They had a couple of full conferences in div1aa. Lots of banter and smack talk on forums. Looked like a lot of fun. ..... but, the coaches soon realized, GD vision rules penalized them having fun because they played human coaches. You could have a good team and end up with a 10-3 record. You miss out on the conference championship game and get knocked out in 2nd round of playoffs = 11-4 record.

In another conference a coach plays all sims every year. Ends up 14-0 with a conference championship and the #1 seed in playoffs. He loses in the final and ends up with an 18-1 record. 4 more games of player development than the 11-4 team, and more importantly better vision = he gets better players during recruiting.

If I recall correctly, Wilkinson coaches in that division never did win a NC. ...and these were the absolute best coaches in the game. They just couldn't overcome the vision disadvantage of an 18 win team in another conference that only scheduled sim teams.

Every successful coach in div3, div2 and div1aa know this...... and yes, anyone can go into one of those divisions and end up one of the powerhouse teams. That's not the point. The point is to do that, you avoid other players, and that is the major flaw in the system.
12/30/2020 1:18 PM
Posted by realist9900 on 12/30/2020 1:18:00 PM (view original):
In theory fuzziness about the ratings is good. The problem is, GD's RNG is atrocious.

I agree, get rid of vision. Let team prestige/reputation give the better teams an advantage.

GD has to tap into what every RPG knows works .... relationships with other players. You build that by having human coaches playing other human coaches. Especially effective if there are a bunch of human coaches in the same conference. That's what makes the game fun and will help retain players.

The problem is, the way vision is set up, is it discourages rivalries, both in conference and out of conference scheduling. Wilkinson just went through this. They had a couple of full conferences in div1aa. Lots of banter and smack talk on forums. Looked like a lot of fun. ..... but, the coaches soon realized, GD vision rules penalized them having fun because they played human coaches. You could have a good team and end up with a 10-3 record. You miss out on the conference championship game and get knocked out in 2nd round of playoffs = 11-4 record.

In another conference a coach plays all sims every year. Ends up 14-0 with a conference championship and the #1 seed in playoffs. He loses in the final and ends up with an 18-1 record. 4 more games of player development than the 11-4 team, and more importantly better vision = he gets better players during recruiting.

If I recall correctly, Wilkinson coaches in that division never did win a NC. ...and these were the absolute best coaches in the game. They just couldn't overcome the vision disadvantage of an 18 win team in another conference that only scheduled sim teams.

Every successful coach in div3, div2 and div1aa know this...... and yes, anyone can go into one of those divisions and end up one of the powerhouse teams. That's not the point. The point is to do that, you avoid other players, and that is the major flaw in the system.
+1
12/30/2020 2:26 PM

+1
12/30/2020 4:21 PM

The lack of full worlds is the precise reason that this “single pool” will fail. If the worlds were near capacity, it might be feasible.

In RL, the teams that choose to play in a bowl or in the lower levels playoffs for example, continue to practice.

The teams that win generally have access to higher rated players although this doesn’t always translate into wins....see Tennessee or Miami or Penn St or FSU of late for example. Cincinnati and USF, etc. still struggle recruiting despite winning seasons to get 5 star talent.....there really isn’t a clear answer. Sorry guys, not picking on Alma Maters, just the first teams that came to mind. I am sure there are others. Mich St when winning titles still didn’t out recruit OSU or Wisconsin who can’t seem to get past OSU.

ND may or may not deserve to be in playoffs, but they win a lot of games. This is a tricky RL situation as well.
12/30/2020 7:51 PM
Posted by holdaway on 12/30/2020 7:51:00 PM (view original):

The lack of full worlds is the precise reason that this “single pool” will fail. If the worlds were near capacity, it might be feasible.

In RL, the teams that choose to play in a bowl or in the lower levels playoffs for example, continue to practice.

The teams that win generally have access to higher rated players although this doesn’t always translate into wins....see Tennessee or Miami or Penn St or FSU of late for example. Cincinnati and USF, etc. still struggle recruiting despite winning seasons to get 5 star talent.....there really isn’t a clear answer. Sorry guys, not picking on Alma Maters, just the first teams that came to mind. I am sure there are others. Mich St when winning titles still didn’t out recruit OSU or Wisconsin who can’t seem to get past OSU.

ND may or may not deserve to be in playoffs, but they win a lot of games. This is a tricky RL situation as well.
All due respect holdaway, were you responding to a different post and quoted mine by accident?
12/30/2020 9:02 PM
Recruiting is the last thing to be changed. Fix other issues and then mess with recruiting a little but please no major changes.
6 hour cycles instead of 3 = definitely
more scholarships and redshirts = sure but don't go overboard (add 10 more scholarships at most and 2 more RS)
in season recruiting= definitely
recruit fuzziness = probably not
open up all recruits to all levels = go for it and some guys may land a stud recruit for D2 and others may destroy their class
12/30/2020 9:25 PM (edited)
They should be tweaking the game. Not making major over-hauls. There is nothing worse than trying to fix things that ain't broken.
12/31/2020 4:14 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...9 Next ▸
GD Ideas/Suggestions for the New Development Team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.