What's your #1 priority for the new devs? Topic

i don't know, i swear i've seen oldave in a conference full of sims talking to himself. this change to have the sims respond could take things to a place that is quite frankly very dangerous
12/4/2020 10:34 PM
I would like to see a first-half boxscore added to the bottom of the first half play by play.
12/5/2020 1:23 PM
Maybe add a +/- feature as a stat for each player
12/5/2020 1:39 PM
I'd also like it if there were different kind of SimAI coaches - some that always play slowdown, some that run a 12 man rotation, some that run more of a paint offense, some that run more of a perimeter offense, etc, etc....
12/5/2020 3:34 PM
One of the things that I’ve seen drive a ton of engagement previously (and was brought up earlier in the thread) is non-con tournaments. I would imagine this being 8-team tournaments and would be “hosted” by a coach (ie if you’re been a coach at a given school for 10 seasons, you can organize a tournament). The coach would have the ability to send invites and they would need to be accepted (just like today). With an 8-team tournament, you give everybody 3 games, so not like the schedule would be overly different than it is today.

Would certainly be a great way to create community!
12/5/2020 5:13 PM
I agree on jobs needing a bit of an overhaul — what makes the most sense is that once you’ve qualified for a division, you can apply to any job within that division. The best resume gets the job — don’t let any major programs go SIM. This would also need to be paired with additional firings — additional firings should only take place in the 6 major conferences and there should be a well-published threshold for getting fired given the school’s baseline prestige. A+ school? You need to make the Sweet 16 at least twice every 8 seasons. A- baseline? You need a sweet 16 twice every 12 seasons. B baseline? You need two second round appearances every 10 seasons. You get the idea. It’s not a high bar by any means, but it would get the worst coaches out and make room for new coaches to move up.
12/5/2020 5:20 PM
Allowing new coaches to recruit in the 2nd session is huge — Recruiting and player development is the most fun in those first couple of seasons when you take over a new team (usually because you won’t be winning a ton those first couple seasons). To come in and not be able to have any of “my guys” playing/developing the first season is kind of disappointing. For new users — if you want to hook someone, give them the ability to recruit that 2nd cycle and give them the chance to see a player they recruited play + grow that first season.
12/5/2020 5:23 PM
The good news is that game play/game planning is excellent. You can build teams in a huge variety of ways and still succeed. Want to run a FB/Press team with a ton of depth? You can win. Want to run an talented 8-man rotation going slowdown all the time? You can win. Want to create a team of 3pt shooters with limited defense? You can score a lot of points.

Recruiting (at least at D1, can’t speak to lower levels) is excellent. The biggest issue (which others have brought up) is promises. They need to be honored through the post-season and they probably need to be honored through a player’s first two seasons. If promises are tweaked, I think recruiting is close to the best it can get. Anyone complaining about too few options in round 2 didn’t plan properly in round 1, IMO.
12/5/2020 5:35 PM
Posted by tkimble on 12/5/2020 5:20:00 PM (view original):
I agree on jobs needing a bit of an overhaul — what makes the most sense is that once you’ve qualified for a division, you can apply to any job within that division. The best resume gets the job — don’t let any major programs go SIM. This would also need to be paired with additional firings — additional firings should only take place in the 6 major conferences and there should be a well-published threshold for getting fired given the school’s baseline prestige. A+ school? You need to make the Sweet 16 at least twice every 8 seasons. A- baseline? You need a sweet 16 twice every 12 seasons. B baseline? You need two second round appearances every 10 seasons. You get the idea. It’s not a high bar by any means, but it would get the worst coaches out and make room for new coaches to move up.
Increasing firings doesn’t make any sense until/unless there is a true scarcity of jobs at the D1 level, and we’re not close to that now. I can’t imagine being a developer and bringing that idea to the higher-ups; you want to tell the people who are paying the most money, for the longest time, the people who are essentially the most loyal (and valuable) customers that they can’t keep giving WIS money for that spot anymore? They have to go find a spot where they’ll have more success and pay less money? What?? Like I said in the other thread, that might make some sense if this game was all the way around a less expensive enterprise in time and money, and if jobs were a scarce commodity. But that’s not the case.

Anyway, I would not suggest making Big 6 jobs much more attainable than they are now, beyond cutting out the time it takes to get to the low D1 level. I think it makes more sense to let people *start* at D1 if they want to (especially if they have HD experience), but they should still need to build a resume within the level to qualify for the higher level jobs.
12/5/2020 5:40 PM
Posted by tkimble on 12/5/2020 5:23:00 PM (view original):
Allowing new coaches to recruit in the 2nd session is huge — Recruiting and player development is the most fun in those first couple of seasons when you take over a new team (usually because you won’t be winning a ton those first couple seasons). To come in and not be able to have any of “my guys” playing/developing the first season is kind of disappointing. For new users — if you want to hook someone, give them the ability to recruit that 2nd cycle and give them the chance to see a player they recruited play + grow that first season.
I’m ambivalent on this, I understand the appeal of recruiting right away, but it also generally goes really poorly that first season for truly new players. If they do this, I think it should go along with a couple things. 1) I think it should be a choice. I think new players should be given the option of just starting with the post-rollover roster, if they don’t want to worry about recruiting until they have an idea of how the game mechanics work. 2) There should be some kind of in-game prompt, noting the availability of scouting and recruiting from the D2 and D1 pools, and what they can expect from recruiting in those pools (ie, the “red light”), along with perhaps a link to the thread with the mentor list, if the coach would like to each out for some tips. I think a lot of the new player frustration just comes from so much of the game being seemingly obscured, when much of it is discussed and dissected at length here on the forums, but they need to know to look for it.
12/5/2020 5:50 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 12/5/2020 5:40:00 PM (view original):
Increasing firings doesn’t make any sense until/unless there is a true scarcity of jobs at the D1 level, and we’re not close to that now. I can’t imagine being a developer and bringing that idea to the higher-ups; you want to tell the people who are paying the most money, for the longest time, the people who are essentially the most loyal (and valuable) customers that they can’t keep giving WIS money for that spot anymore? They have to go find a spot where they’ll have more success and pay less money? What?? Like I said in the other thread, that might make some sense if this game was all the way around a less expensive enterprise in time and money, and if jobs were a scarce commodity. But that’s not the case.

Anyway, I would not suggest making Big 6 jobs much more attainable than they are now, beyond cutting out the time it takes to get to the low D1 level. I think it makes more sense to let people *start* at D1 if they want to (especially if they have HD experience), but they should still need to build a resume within the level to qualify for the higher level jobs.
Firings need to happen. Climb out from under the bridge you gremlin. Coaches that suck should get fired. Period. If they suck they know they suck and won't be blindsided by getting fired. Come on man
12/5/2020 8:39 PM
Posted by topdogggbm on 12/5/2020 8:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 12/5/2020 5:40:00 PM (view original):

Firings need to happen. Climb out from under the bridge you gremlin. Coaches that suck should get fired. Period. If they suck they know they suck and won't be blindsided by getting fired. Come on man
A business still struggling to fill Big 6 conferences would be insane to listen to this idea. Exclamation point!
12/5/2020 11:10 PM (edited)
If you think it “needs to happen,” make the case. You’re the developer. How are you going to sell the owners on the decision to tell loyal customers who pay the most money of anyone on the site - ie, the ones who “suck” - that they can’t keep their spot. Forget about whether they will expect it or not, you’re removing them from a place where they are making WIS money, clearing room for coaches who will presumably cost them money. How are you pitching this?
12/5/2020 11:15 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 12/5/2020 11:15:00 PM (view original):
If you think it “needs to happen,” make the case. You’re the developer. How are you going to sell the owners on the decision to tell loyal customers who pay the most money of anyone on the site - ie, the ones who “suck” - that they can’t keep their spot. Forget about whether they will expect it or not, you’re removing them from a place where they are making WIS money, clearing room for coaches who will presumably cost them money. How are you pitching this?
"Hey guys, this is a competitive game. One that needs to somewhat appear like college basketball in real life. So when new users arrive, the big 6 schools "look" meaningful. And remain to be jobs that people work towards. With that, comes the factor you deal with every single day in your life, if you're not good enough, you will lose your job. But don't worry, we'll pamper it up for you so your little feelings don't get hurt. The criteria won't be impossible to accomplish. Upon leaving your position if you do not meet expectations, you will be allowed to pick from jobs available, with the slightest leg up on the rest of the field. I mean you were just the coach of UK for 30 seasons even if you did suck. What, this doesn't sound pleasing enough for you? Well let's look at your life in detail..... when you made 5 errors in a high school baseball game, what happened to you? When you went to work and failed to meet your goals, what was the outcome? When you failed to live within the laws of the land, where did you end up? That's right..... we all have an understanding of how this works already in everyday life! This isn't the first time any of you will face a circumstance like this. But guess what..... more pampering! We're not terminating you. We're still going to allow you to have one of the other 300 freakin options to keep playing. Maybe we'll even pay for your season in which you lost your job. Best of all, you knew this was coming. So don't blame us! Provided for you was the list of criteria that you've had for 3 REAL LIFE YEARS, that you never even came close to accomplishing! Are you still disappointed? We have one last series of comments to offer you..... Man up, join the real world, wake up and smell the beans. We're competing here. You had years to just be average. Time to try again with a different letterhead and color scheme at the top of your page. Not that different. Not that serious. But thanks for playing!"

Sold. The end.
12/6/2020 5:49 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 12/5/2020 11:15:00 PM (view original):
You're the developer, how are you gonna sell the most loyal owner at NC State that he cant ever get to his favorite school (North Carolina) despite the fact that the NC coach hasnt made it past the 1st round in 20 seasons? You seem to be forgetting about "the other guy" when making your point.

More fluid job openings at ALL levels if good for the overall game.
12/6/2020 9:10 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
What's your #1 priority for the new devs? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.