Trump's legal beagles Topic

With Jonathan Swan as lead reporter, the website says Trump had a confrontation in his private dining room with Bill Barr on Dec. 1, the day the attorney general told the AP that he’d found no evidence of widespread election fraud.

The president’s theories were "bull--," Barr told him. And his new, Giuliani-led legal team was "clownish."

Trump had seen the wire story and was "fuming," telling Barr: "Why would you say such a thing? You must hate Trump. There’s no other reason for it. You must hate Trump." The AG insisted that other aides leave and told Trump they should have an amicable parting.

In another installment, Trump dumped on Sidney Powell, the lawyer who had joined his legal team and was spinning wild conspiracy theories about an international communist conspiracy to steal his votes. "Ugh, Sidney," he told his staff before picking up the phone. "She's getting a little crazy, isn't she? She's really gotta tone it down. No one believes this stuff. It's just too much."

During the call, he would hit the mute button and tell his assembled aides: "She really is crazy, huh?"

1/19/2021 4:30 AM
Sidney Powell withdraws Georgia "Kraken" suit.
1/20/2021 9:05 AM
perhaps a legal beagle could chime in

cause i know we have so many up in here

isn't inciting insurrection sedition?

why is the charge the one and not the other
1/21/2021 9:37 PM
Giuliani sued by Dominion, admits Biden is President hours later.
1/25/2021 9:17 PM

Even Steve Bannon Isn’t Buying Rudy Giuliani’s Latest Unhinged Conspiracy

Trump personal attorney Rudy Giuliani on Friday threw out a conspiracy theory about the deadly Capitol insurrection that was so insane, fellow conspiracist Steve Bannon had to jump in and pump the brakes.

Giuliani, currently facing a billion-dollar defamation lawsuit from Dominion Voting Systems for pushing baseless claims of voter fraud about the company, has been on a mission recently to distance former President Donald Trump (and himself) from the seditious riot that the president incited on Jan. 6.

While Giuliani recently said he cannot defend Trump in his Senate impeachment trial because he’s a witness—Giuliani infamously called for “trial by combat” at the Jan. 6 “Stop the Steal” rally preceding the MAGA riot—the former New York City mayor has attempted to present an alternate reality of what actually occurred that day.

After initially claiming that the riot was “99 percent peaceful,” Giuliani has since latched onto the Trumpist talking point that the violence was actually instigated by antifa and other leftist groups, despite the FBI saying there’s no evidence of antifa involvement. At least 21 of the rioters arrested, meanwhile, have direct ties to right-wing extremist groups.

Bannon, who was recently pardoned by Trump and was directly involved in promoting the “Stop the Steal” rally, welcomed Giuliani on his War Room podcast on Friday to discuss the ex-president’s impeachment defense. And while Bannon has been as equally responsible as Giuliani for peddling the “Big Lie” that the election was “stolen” from Trump due to widespread voter fraud, he wasn’t buying everything Giuliani was selling on Friday.

1/29/2021 3:42 PM

JOHN SANTUCCI and KATHERINE FAULDERS

All five of the impeachment lawyers who were expected to represent former President Donald Trump have called it quits, sources told ABC News.

The team, led by South Carolina lawyer Butch Bowers, resigned in part because of disagreements over how to mount Trump’s defense, the sources said. The lawyers had planned to argue the constitutionality of holding a trial given Trump is now a former president.

MORE: To achieve unity, we need the Trump impeachment trial: OPINION

The disagreements over strategy varied, sources told ABC News, but Trump wanted his team to argue there was election fraud, while the lawyers and some top advisers to the former president wanted the focus to remain on the constitutionality of a trial with the president no longer in office.

A source close to the former president described the change as a "mutual decision" between the parties.

Trump was impeached by the House on Jan. 13 on a single article for "incitement of insurrection" following the violent siege at the U.S. Capitol that left one police officer and four others dead and left members of Congress and their staffs fearing for their lives. The insurrection, which took place Jan. 6, was preceded by a Trump rally when he told his followers to head to the Capitol and repeatedly said they should fight for him.

1/31/2021 4:10 AM
Josephine Harvey
·Reporter, HuffPost

Rudy Giuliani got in a lather on his talk radio show Thursday when the station aired a lengthy disclaimer before his program.

“The views, assumptions and opinions expressed by” former President Donald Trump’s personal attorney and “his guests and callers on his program are strictly their own, and do not necessarily represent the opinions, beliefs or policies of WABC Radio” and its owners, other hosts and advertisers, New York’s 77 Talk Radio WABC said in a message before Giuliani’s daily afternoon show.

A surprised Giuliani opened the program by saying, “I would have thought they would have told me about that before just doing what they just did. Rather insulting. And gives you a sense of how far this free speech thing has gone. And how they frighten everybody. I mean, we’re in America, we’re not in East Germany.

“They’ve got to warn you about me? I’m going to have to give that a lot of consideration. I also think putting it on without telling me ? not the right thing to do. Not the right thing to do at all.”

Josephine Harvey
·Reporter, HuffPost

Rudy Giuliani got in a lather on his talk radio show Thursday when the station aired a lengthy disclaimer before his program.

“The views, assumptions and opinions expressed by” former President Donald Trump’s personal attorney and “his guests and callers on his program are strictly their own, and do not necessarily represent the opinions, beliefs or policies of WABC Radio” and its owners, other hosts and advertisers, New York’s 77 Talk Radio WABC said in a message before Giuliani’s daily afternoon show.

A surprised Giuliani opened the program by saying, “I would have thought they would have told me about that before just doing what they just did. Rather insulting. And gives you a sense of how far this free speech thing has gone. And how they frighten everybody. I mean, we’re in America, we’re not in East Germany.

“They’ve got to warn you about me? I’m going to have to give that a lot of consideration. I also think putting it on without telling me ? not the right thing to do. Not the right thing to do at all.”

Hours earlier, Giuliani was named as one of the defendants in a $2.7 billion defamation lawsuit filed by voting system company Smartmatic against Fox News Corporation, which often allowed the former New York City mayor to spout false and unfounded conspiracy theories about the 2020 election on its Fox News and Fox Business channels.

The company accuses three of those network’s personalities ? Maria Bartiromo, Lou Dobbs and Jeanine Pirro ? as well as Giuliani and attorney Sidney Powell of perpetrating in a monthslong disinformation campaign alleging that the election was rigged and that Smartmatic participated in that effort.

Last week, Dominion Voting Systems filed a $1.3 billion defamation lawsuit against Giuliani for similar fictions about the election and the company.

Following his complaints about WABC, Giuliani accepted a call from a listener, whom he identified as Art from Westchester, New York.

“I want to warn you, you’re talking to me it doesn’t express anybody else’s viewpoint but mine,” Giuliani said. “But you kind of knew that anyway didn’t you? You didn’t need to be reminded of that did you?”

The caller informed Giuliani that he was a “different listener to WABC” ? which broadcasts other conservative hosts, such as Mark Levin ? and that he disagreed with “almost everything that you say, so I’m going to challenge you a little bit.”

Giuliani responded by insisting he had evidence (which he has still failed to produce) of widespread voter fraud, and then, as has been his pattern, reiterated several baseless conspiracy theories.

2/5/2021 3:46 AM

A lawyer who filed Sidney Powell's Michigan election lawsuit says he shouldn't be disbarred and was just 'holding the fort' for her

• Attorney Gregory Rohl was instrumental in helping Sidney Powell file her Michigan election lawsuit.

• Michigan's governor and other elected officials are attempting to disbar Rohl as a result.

• Rohl said despite filing the case, he did not make any changes, additions, or corrections to it.

• Visit the Business section of Insider for more stories.

A local attorney who was instrumental in filing Sidney Powell's Michigan lawsuit to throw out the state's votes in the 2020 presidential election, said in a court filing he was just "holding the fort" for her and shouldn't be sanctioned or disbarred.

Gregory Rohl, a trial attorney based in Novi, Michigan, wrote in a federal court affidavit that he was quarantined at home after having contracted COVID-19 when he was asked to assist Powell and the attorney Lin Wood in filing the case. Rohl said in his affidavit he was approached at 6:30 p.m. and told the filing deadline was at midnight.

Rohl's filing comes just days after Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, state Attorney General Dana Nessel, and Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson filed complaints seeking to disbar Powell, Rohl, and several attorneys who were involved in the lawsuit.

Powell, a Texas attorney, was unable to file the suit herself at the time, as she did not have a license to practice law in Michigan. Rohl was told Powell was waiting to hear back about her pro hac vice application, a request for permission to work on the case when a lawyer does not have the legal authority to practice law in the area.

Read more: Trump is plotting a campaign revenge tour targeting GOP defectors after Senate impeachment trial

Despite what Rohl was told, court filings do not show Powell ever filed a formal pro hac vice application.

2/6/2021 9:41 AM

Trump ‘beyond angry’ with impeachment defense team’s showing: sources

Trump watched the proceedings from Mar-a-Lago

Former President Trump was "furious" and "beyond angry" over his defense team’s showing on Day One of his second impeachment trial despite his ultimate acquittal almost certain, two sources told Fox News late Tuesday.

TRUMP JR SAYS SENATE SHOULD LOOK FOR SOMETHING 'BETTER TO DO' THAN SIT THROUGH ANOTHER TRIAL

The sources, who spent time with Trump, said he was particularly incensed with the effort thus far by his attorney Bruce Castor. Trump believes Castor gave a rambling opening argument, they said. Castor’s 45-minute opening remarks were widely panned on social media after he praised the House impeachment managers for a job "well done."

"The American people just spoke and they just changed administrations," Castor said at one point. He said the public is smart enough to "pick a new administration if they don’t like the old one, and they just did."

Castor’s comment prompted the Associated Press to run the headline, "Trump Never Conceded He Lost, But His Impeachment Lawyer did."

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, said Rep. Jamie Raskin, the lead impeachment manager, was impressive and is "a serious lawyer." He said Trump's team did not have the most "effective" performance.

Trump watched the proceedings from his quarters in Mar-a-Lago, in Palm Beach, Fla. The AP, citing an unnamed source, said Trump was impressed with the opening video presentation from Democrats. Trump’s team did not immediately respond to an email from Fox News.

SIX MOST-INTERESTING MOMENTS FROM THE DAY

Castor defended his performance in an interview after learning that Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., moved to side with Democrats, according to the Wall Street Journal.

"You put 100 people in the same room, you’re going to get 100 different opinions. We only lost one…so I believe we had a good day," he said. Castor clarified that his "well done" statement was not an acknowledgment that the Democrat case was more effective.

Cassidy said that anyone who listened to Trump's team "saw they were unfocused, they attempted to avoid the issue. And they talked about everything but the issue at hand."

2/10/2021 4:38 AM
The legal team was clearly trying to mock Trump! One of the lawyers was holding a glass of water with one hand with the other hand on his head! Clearly showing how he is better than Trump who needs two hands to hold a glass!
2/10/2021 8:20 AM

WASHINGTON (AP) – In a significant defeat for former President Donald Trump, the Supreme Court on Monday declined to step in to halt the turnover of his tax records to a New York prosecutor.

The court's action is the apparent culmination of a lengthy legal battle that had already reached the high court once before.

Trump's tax records are not supposed to become public as part of prosecutor's criminal investigation, but the high court's action is a blow to Trump because he has for so long fought on so many fronts to keep his tax records shielded from view. The ongoing investigation the records are part of could also become an issue for Trump in his life after the presidency. Trump has called it "a fishing expedition" and "a continuation of the witch hunt — the greatest witch hunt in history."

2/22/2021 10:27 AM
if i am gonna hunt a witch

i cannot think of a greater witch to hunt

melt him, burn him, tie him up like a guy you're gonna throw in the trunk in goodfellas and make him swim

whatever it takes
2/22/2021 10:41 AM

The Supreme Court has formally rejected several appeals from Republicans and former President Donald Trump over contested 2020 voting rules in key battleground states.

The court declined to take up a challenge to Pennsylvania's mail ballot deadline extension that became the fixation of Republican attempts to overturn results in that state. The justices also turned away a case out of Georgia, brought by Trump ally Lin Wood, over mail-in ballot requirements.

And, the court rejected Trump's suit against President Joe Biden over the counting of absentee ballots in Wisconsin.

While the election is obviously settled, many Republicans had hoped the justices would resolve the dispute over changes in voting rules promulgated by state courts or other non-elected bodies -- changes they argue are illegal because they weren't legislated.

2/22/2021 12:34 PM
Biden doesn't count ballots in Wisconsin, so why would they sue him?
2/22/2021 6:55 PM
why not? They obviously don't care if a case has any merit.
2/22/2021 7:26 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
Trump's legal beagles Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.